Crime
“Spike in IPOB Attacks in Enugu Shows Mbah Isn’t Ready for Leadership”, CSO Declares
The current spike in attacks by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in Enugu since the state governor, Peter Mbah, announced an end to the Sit-at-home order in the state three weeks ago has been attributed to the lack of preparedness for leadership by the new helmsman.
According to a civil society organisation based in Enugu, the Oriental Lawyers for Justice (OLJ), the worsened security problem has seen at least eight kidnappings in the capital in the last two weeks plus the attack on the New Haven station of the Pinnacle Oil and Gas Company owned by the governor in the early hours of Wednesday last week “show that, contrary to the assertions of those who packaged him for the recent election which he nevertheless lost, Mbah is just another politician and wheeler-dealer rather than a clear-headed leader with a focus on how to get our dear state cracking in the right direction”.
Commercial drivers protested in their hundreds on Tuesday (yesterday) against the new spate of kidnappings on the Enugu–Nsukka Road, as three kidnaps were recorded on Thursday, last week, alone.
If he had prepared himself for high office, the OLJ said in a statement signed by JohnBosco Aninwede, its president, and Mrs Ifeoma Ejike, the secretary, he would have learned from the experience of Governor Chukwuma Soludo of neighbouring Anambra State who in his inaugural speech in March, 2022, announced a war against so-called freedom fighters in the bush, only to face an unprecedented rise in attacks by IPOB members throughout the state, especially in his Isuofia hometown and Aguata Local Government Area whose headquarters was bombed.
“There is no doubt that IPOB has been responsible for the attack on Mbah’s private petroleum firm, as the perpetrators came in a large number of tricycles and armed with rifles, charms, and the notorious red headband worn by the Eastern Security Network (ESN), IPOB’s military wing”, declared the OLJ.
“And everyone knows that Pinnacle is targeted because of Mbah’s moves against IPOB”.
The nongovernmental organisation said that Simeon Ekpa, a top IPOB leader based in Finland, has openly mocked Mbah for lack of legitimately because he didn’t win the Enugu governorship election.
The lawyers argued that no serious leader would announce the cancellation of the stay-at-home order which is enforced with savagery throughout the Southeast every Monday without providing enough security forces on the ground and without constituting his cabinet because tackling profound insecurity is not a one-man show.
“By the time he announced an end to the order by the nonstate actors, the new governor had appointed only the Secretary to the State Government, Professor Chidiebere Onyia, and no other person into his administration”, noted the Oriental Lawyers for Justice.
“It was after he had begun to implement the order which failed spectacularly on the first Monday that it occurred to him to consult stakeholders in the state like traders, transporters, religious leaders, traditional rulers, students, town union officers, and the rest to brief them on his plans”.
They added that Mbah was marketed beyond his knowledge and skills by his handlers who “tried to mesmerise our people with his personal wealth and his manifesto promise to increase Enugu’s economy from $4bn to $30bn within four years, even though he has never supplied information on how he plans to achieve this feat”.
The lawyers observed that though they are against IPOB for its streak of violence and such illegal acts as the curfew it imposes on the Southeast weekly, “Mbah has gone about cutting down the secessionist group to size the wrong way because of his poor poor skills as a public leader.
“If he had genuinely won the March 18 gubernatorial election, he would have acted more rationally, and not in this knee-jerk manner meant to get accepted by the Enugu people who rejected him and his Peoples Democratic Party resoundingly in the 2023 general elections.”
Crime
BREAKING: 24 Bandits Killed as Security Forces Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina
At least 24 bandits were killed on Tuesday after Nigerian Army soldiers, Department of State Services (DSS) operatives and members of the Katsina Community Watch Corps foiled a planned mass abduction in Gidan Bawa village, Kandarawa Ward, Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State.
According to a security source, the operation was launched following sustained intelligence that about 40 gunmen loyal to notorious bandit kingpin Isiya Kwashen Garwa planned to invade the community and abduct residents, particularly women and children. The plot was reportedly intended to mirror the recent mass abduction of residents in Woro community, Kwara State, in a bid to embarrass the government.
Acting on the tip-off, DSS operatives mobilised the Community Watch Corps and the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) from Guga camp. The joint team ambushed the bandits as they moved to carry out the attack.
The source said the operatives neutralised 24 of the gunmen and rescued villagers who had already been abducted. Nineteen stolen cattle were also recovered during the raid.
Efforts are ongoing to track down the remaining bandits who fled the scene.
Crime
NDLEA destroys illicit drugs valued at N301bn in Lagos
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) on Monday publicly destroyed 329,865.585 kilograms of assorted illicit drugs with an estimated street value of N301,058,076,000 in a court-ordered exercise in Lagos.
The destruction, carried out at Navy Town in Ojo pursuant to orders of the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, covered uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. Of the total, 246,864.535 kg were seized by the Lagos Strategic Command between April 2025 and May 2026, while 83,001.05 kg came from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit, all operating in Lagos.
The consignment included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, various strains of cannabis (including Canadian Loud and skunk), ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup and other opioids, as well as khat leaf.
NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive Officer Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (rtd) described the exercise as a bold demonstration of Nigeria’s resolve to protect its people and deny criminal enterprises the resources they need to thrive.
“Behind every kilogram of narcotics destroyed lies a story of a young life at risk, a family torn apart by addiction, and communities endangered by drug-related crime and impaired driving,” Marwa said. He stressed that illicit drugs weaken the labour force, raise healthcare costs, discourage investment and drain public resources that should go into education, healthcare and infrastructure.
Marwa linked the drug trade to broader security challenges, noting that trafficking helps fund organised crime, terrorism and violent extremism. He thanked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for strategic support, and acknowledged partnership with the judiciary, Lagos State Government, the military, sister security agencies, international partners, civil society, traditional institutions, the media and the public.
Issuing a stern warning to drug barons, traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers, Marwa declared: “Wherever you hide, whoever sponsors you and however sophisticated your network may be, the long arm of the law will reach you.” He vowed that the agency remains resolute in dismantling every criminal network and its financial spine, and called on parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders, and the media to join the fight.
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by Secretary to the State Government Mrs Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, said the scale of the destruction — about 300 tons — was both a sobering reminder of the threat illicit drugs pose and a testament to what is possible when law enforcement, the judiciary and government work together.
“Lagos State is unwavering in its resolve to confront drug abuse and trafficking, and we will not relent,” the governor’s representative stated.
Comptroller-General of Customs Bashir Adewale Adeniyi said the NDLEA deserved the accolades it has received, noting that the haul from seaports, airports and land borders sent a strong message that drug dealers are no longer welcome in Nigeria. He linked the drug trade to the funding of bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents and terrorists, describing narcotics as the “oxygen” of violent non-state actors.
Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, assured continued naval support for NDLEA-coordinated drug control efforts.
Crime
SITREP: Rival Cult Groups Clash on Freedom Way Near the Dome, Sparking Chaos
An ongoing fracas allegedly involving rival cult groups has erupted on Freedom Way near the Dome, at Lekki Phase 1 Lagos, with reports of widespread mayhem.
Motorists have abandoned their vehicles on the road and fled the area as the confrontation intensifies.
A minimal police presence is on site attempting to restore order.
Authorities and local sources advise residents to avoid the area if possible and delay non-essential travel until the situation stabilizes.
Fleeing individuals from the groups have also been using a bush path at the end of the driveway leading onto Freedom Way, prompting calls for heightened security awareness when exiting nearby lanes.
Residents are urged to remain cautious until the disturbance fully subsides.
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Diverts EFCC Funds to NELFUND
-
Opinions2 days agoBREAKING: Lagos Govt Declares Today, Thursday Work-Free to Mark 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day
-
News2 days agoUPDATE: Isese Day — Ogun, Oyo Join Lagos to Declare Today Work-Free
-
News3 days agoTinubu Appoints Abel Enitan Head of Civil Service
-
News3 days ago83 Nigerians Return from South Africa (Video)
-
International2 days agoBREAKING: No Survivors in Kenya Safari Helicopter Crash
-
News2 days agoGov. Adeleke Prostrates Before Elder Brother After Re-Election Win
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: FEC Approves Decriminalisation of Attempted Suicide
