News
Yoruba Community in Enugu Gets First Oba
▪︎Alhaji Abdulazeez Adebayo, the new Oba of Yoruba Community in Enugu State
The Yoruba community in Enugu State has unanimously selected Alhaji Abdulazeez Adebayo as its new traditional ruler.
Vanguard reports that Adebayo, who hails from Osun, became the first ever Oba of the community since the history of Yorubas living in Enugu.
Speaking during the community’s meeting on Tuesday in Enugu, the new traditional ruler, said that seven states of Oyo, Osun, Ogun, Ondo, Ekiti, Lagos, Kogi and Kwara, made up the Yoruba community in Enugu.
Adebayo revealed that Yoruba ethnic nationality in the state comprised Ibadan Progressive Union, Ede Descendants, as well as Olateji, Ekiti, Ondo, Ilorin Descendant Unions.
“Today, the Ibadan Progressive Union decided to associate and join the Progressive Yoruba Community in Enugu state since what we have been yearning for many years–to have an Oba– has come true.’’
“I came to Enugu on Feb.7, 1979 and since then, I have lived peacefully in the state,” he said.
On how he was chosen, Adebayo said the process entailed looking for somebody with good record, good behaviour and who could take care for his people.
According to him, the person must also be trustworthy and ensure quality representation of Yoruba people in the state.
Explaining how the clamour for Yorubas in Enugu to have an Oba started, he said some people indicated interest to contest for the position in 2018.
Adebayo added that after screening, a report about the aspirants was submitted to the Yoruba community.
“We lost about three persons in the process of waiting to choose who will be our Oba.
This is what the Yoruba elders saw and decided to bring a neutral person who is trusted and I was called upon to take the position.
“I came to Enugu on Feb.7, 1979 and since then, I have lived peacefully in the state,” he said.
While urging them for support, love and unity, Adebayo appealed to other Yorubas, who were not in the fold, to join the community.
In his remarks, one of the aspirants, Chief Valentine Adesina, noted that there had been leadership tussle among the aspirants.
“After the general meeting, they agreed to have a committee that will look into that; we were about seven including me but it was reduced to three.
We didn’t do an election but we considered certain criteria like age and character; at the end of the day, the elders came up with Adebayo.
“He has been one of the pioneer members piloting the affairs of the community for about 35 years now.
“For that singular reason, he knows more than most of us; most Yoruba elders that started with him had gone back home, while others had died.
“I decided to step down for him to move the community forward,” Adesina said.
News
UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)
ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.
The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.
Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.
“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.
“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.
The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.
“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.
Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.
“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.
She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.
“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.
News
Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun
Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.
News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.
Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
News
Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
•Kehinde Jacob Faledon
Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.
Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.
“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.
“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.
-
News2 days agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
News2 days agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
Politics2 days agoRivers lawmakers halt impeachment of Fubara and Odu, following Tinubu’s interventions
-
Business2 days agoNAFDAC Seals 18 Warehouses Over Expired Products in Niger State
-
Business3 days agoWema Bank Announces Grand Event for International Women’s Day 2026 on March 4
-
Politics2 days agoAbuja Area Council Elections Hold Tomorrow
-
News2 days agoSenator Mpigi Dies at 64
-
International2 days agoTrump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
