Connect with us

Sports

World Cup prize pool nears $900 million as FIFA boosts payouts. Here’s who gets what

Under the new financial distribution structure, participating associations at the 2026 World Cup — set to be held across the U.S., Mexico, and Canada from 11 June — will each receive an additional $2 million, across:

Published

on

263 Views

FIFA has increased payments to teams competing in the 2026 World Cup, raising the total distribution to $871 million, making it the most lucrative edition on record.

The 2026 edition of the World Cup is set to be the largest-ever, expanding to 48 teams, up from 32 in 2022.

According to CNBC, the increased financial distributions, announced last Wednesday at the 36th FIFA Council meeting in Vancouver, Canada, come as the governing body faces criticism over ticket pricing and its commercial partnerships.

Under the new financial distribution structure, participating associations at the 2026 World Cup — set to be held across the U.S., Mexico, and Canada from 11 June — will each receive an additional $2 million, across:

Preparation money: $2.5 million, up from $1.5 million at the 2022 World Cup, and Qualification money: $10 million, up from $9 million in 2022.

That brings the minimum payout for each team to at least $12.5 million upon qualification, with additional prize money tied to performance in the tournament.

These payments are meant to defray some of the costs associated with qualifying and preparing for the quadrennial sporting tournament, including travel, training facilities and staff remuneration and are expected to be particularly meaningful to teams outside of the sport’s traditional powerhouses, according to Ricardo Fort, founder of sport consultancy Fort Consulting.

“This incremental contribution to the national football associations reinforces FIFA’s role in redistributing the commercial success of the tournament back into the global football ecosystem,” Fort said.

Sports

Ronaldo To End Career In Football This Year Without World Cup Title

The 41-year-old Portugal captain is one of football’s most decorated players, having won major trophies with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and current club Al-Nassr.

Published

on

By

57 Views

Cristiano Ronaldo says this could be his final year in football as the Portugal captain prepares to leave a lasting legacy.

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo told lifestyle magazine Vogue in an interview published on Sunday.

The 41-year-old Portugal captain is one of football’s most decorated players, having won major trophies with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and current club Al-Nassr.

Ronaldo made his senior debut for Sporting in 2002 and has enjoyed a career spanning more than two decades.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has scored 976 goals for club and country and is now closing in on the 1,000-goal milestone.

However, Ronaldo was unable to add a World Cup title to his list of honours after Portugal fell short at this year’s tournament.

Continue Reading

Sports

NFF Sacks Madugu over WAFCON crashed out

The decision was reached by its Executive Committee following the poor performance at the recently concluded 2026 women’s Africa Cup of Nations tournament.

Published

on

By

68 Views

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has sacked the Super Falcons of Nigeria head coach, Justin Madugu, and his crew.

The decision was reached by its Executive Committee following the poor performance at the recently concluded 2026 women’s Africa Cup of Nations tournament.

The nation’s football governing body announced that the sack of Madugu and his technical crew following their return from WAFCON where the Falcons crashed out at the quarter-final stage.

They also failed to achieve automatic qualification to the 2027 women’s World Cup, and lost to South Africa for a chance to reach the World Cup via the playoffs.

Continue Reading

Sports

Cameroon Win First WAFCON Cup Title

In a dominant first-half display, they scored three times before the break to end Malawi’s remarkable run at the tournament.

Published

on

By

100 Views

The Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon have won their first-ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations title after defeating Malawi 3-0 in Rabat on Sunday.

In a dominant first-half display, they scored three times before the break to end Malawi’s remarkable run at the tournament.

Marie Ngah Manga scored twice, while Naomi Eto added a spectacular scissors kick as Cameroon took a commanding lead before half-time.

Cameroon had reached the final after eliminating Nigeria and hosts Morocco, having previously lost three WAFCON finals.

Malawi, competing in their first WAFCON campaign, struggled to match Cameroon despite their impressive run to the final.

They had entered the tournament ranked 153rd in the world.

Goalkeeper Michaely Bihina made an early save at the feet of Temwa Chawinga as Malawi looked to threaten in the opening minutes.

Bihina also denied Chikondi Gondwe in the 14th minute before Cameroon began to take control.

Cameroon opened the scoring in the 20th minute after Malawi goalkeeper Mercy Sikelo failed to deal with Grace Mendoua’s cross.

Sikelo pushed the cross onto her own crossbar, allowing Ngah Manga to react quickly and head the ball into the net from close range.

Malawi tried to respond, but Cameroon remained in control.

Continue Reading

Trending