International
Trump Pardons 1,500 Political Prisoners
Trump said at a White House signing ceremony that he had granted “full pardons” to more than 1,500 defendants. “We hope they come out tonight, frankly,” he said
US President Donald Trump granted pardons on Monday to more than 1,500 of his supporterswho stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021, in a bid to overturn the results of the 2020 election.
A total of 1,583 people were charged in connection with the assault on Congress by Trump supporters seeking to disrupt the certification of Democrat Joe Biden’s election victory.
Trump, just hours after he took office, also ordered that all pending criminal cases against Capitol riot defendants be dropped.
Among those receiving a pardon was Enrique Tarrio, the former leader of the far-right Proud Boys, who was sentenced to 22 years in prison for directing a military-style assault on the Capitol.
Stewart Rhodes, the leader of another far-right group, the Oath Keepers, had his 18-year prison sentence commuted to time served.
Both Tarrio and Rhodes had been convicted of seditious conspiracy. Describing the rioters as “hostages,”
Trump said at a White House signing ceremony that he had granted “full pardons” to more than 1,500 defendants. “We hope they come out tonight, frankly,” he said.
International
BREAKING: No Survivors in Kenya Safari Helicopter Crash
All seven people on board a tourist helicopter were killed when the aircraft crashed in a remote area of northern Kenya on Wednesday morning, authorities confirmed.
The Eurocopter EC130 B4 was flying on a safari route from the Loisaba Conservancy to the Ewaso Nyiro area in Samburu County when it went down at approximately 9:13 a.m. local time near Mount Ololokwe. The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority said the helicopter was carrying six passengers and one pilot. Police later confirmed there were no survivors.
Five of the victims were American citizens, according to the U.S. State Department. Among those killed were José Alberto Suárez, a senior executive with Telemundo (NBCUniversal), and Michele Sensi-Contugi, director of Ecuador’s National Intelligence Center, who was travelling with his wife, Stephany Hollihan. Both she and her husband died in the crash.
The aircraft was operated by Lady Lori Helicopters and was carrying guests of the luxury safari company &Beyond. Rescue teams, including the Kenya Red Cross, faced difficult terrain and a fire at the crash site during recovery operations.
An official investigation into the cause of the accident is underway. The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi said it is providing consular assistance to the families of the American victims.
International
Trump Annex Strait of Hormuz “New US Territory”
The development follows Trump’s recent comments that he would declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory after defeating Iran.
US President Donald Trump has declared the Strait of Hormuz a “new US territory.”
Trump on Tuesday shared a map graphic on Truth Social, a social media platform he owns, labelling the Strait of Hormuz a “NEW U.S. Territory”.
The same graphic was also posted by the official White House account on X.
The image shows a blue-highlighted map of the strait between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, with a circle around the narrow passage and the words “NEW U.S. Territory” displayed prominently.
The development follows Trump’s recent comments that he would declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory after defeating Iran.
Speaking at a political rally in New York State on Friday, Trump said,
“After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated — pretty soon I’ll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States.”
International
Zambia’s Hichilema leads presidential vote count
Hichilema had 54.82% or 1,056,812 of the declared votes, figures showed, putting him on track for re-election without a second-round runoff if he keeps the overall majority.
Photo: Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema greets United Party for National Development (UPND) supporters during their election campaign launch in Lusaka, Zambia, June 28, 2026. Credit : REUTERS
Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema was well ahead in counting for national elections on Sunday with nearly half the constituencies declared, the electoral commission said.
Reuters reported that Hichilema had 54.82% or 1,056,812 of the declared votes, figures showed, putting him on track for re-election without a second-round runoff if he keeps the overall majority.
His main challenger, Brian Mundubile, was in second place with 43% or 830,841 of the declared votes, with 105 out of 226 constituencies announced by around 1500 GMT.
The presidential vote — held alongside parliamentary and local elections on Thursday — is seen as a test of whether Hichilema’s economic gains since a pandemic-era debt crisis are enough to win him a second term in Africa’s second-largest copper producer after the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Electoral Commission of Zambia temporarily halted vote counting on Friday, citing violence against officials and the theft of ballot papers.
-
Business3 days agoCBN’s Sidi-Ali wins 2026 overall Spokesperson of the Year Award, courtesy of NSA
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Tinubu Diverts EFCC Funds to NELFUND
-
Business3 days agoNaira Exchange Rates Tuesday,18 August
-
Politics2 days ago2Baba’s wife Natasha emerges Edo Assembly Minority Leader
-
International2 days agoTrump Annex Strait of Hormuz “New US Territory”
-
Sports3 days agoNFF Sacks Madugu over WAFCON crashed out
-
Politics2 days agoBayelsa Assembly Approves Removal Of Sagbama Council Chairman, Vice
-
Business3 days agoTCN improves Power Supply to Apapa corridors by additional 208MW
