Connect with us

Politics

Senator Natasha Resumes Back to Legislative Duties While Court Proceedings Continue October 7

Senator Natasha’s office was sealed since the 6th of March, when the Senate slammed a six months suspension on her for alleged gross misconducts and violation of senate rules.

Published

on

328 Views

The National Assembly on Tuesday unsealed the office of the suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

Ohibaba.com gathered that the Deputy -Director, Sergeant-at-arm, Alabi Adedeji effected the removal of the seal.

Senator Natasha’s office was sealed since the 6th of March, when the Senate slammed a six months suspension on her for alleged gross misconducts and violation of senate rules.

It was however not clear who directed the removal of the seal as her official resumption is still pending until the outcome of her case against the President of the Senate , Godswill Akpabio, is settled in court.

Nevertheless, Senator Natasha stormed the National Assembly on Tuesday few hours after her office was unsealed to resume legislative duties.

The Kogi Central lawmaker arrived the National Assembly complex at exactly 12:30pm accompanied by hundreds of her supporters amid heavy resistance from the Police and Sergeants-at -arms who were trying to stop many of Akpoti-Uduaghan’s supporters from gaining entrance along with her into the National Assembly.

Akpoti-Uduaghan went straight unhindered to her office that was already cleaned up and decently prepared for her arrival after the doors were unsealed earlier in the day.

Addressing journalists, Natasha narrated the ordeal she passed through in the last six months; -with particular reference to alleged blackmail from Professor Mgbeke on FACEBOOK and insisting that her suspension is illegal.

Unfazed and defiant, Akpoti-Uduaghan said she has no apology whatsoever to tender to the leadership of the National Assembly regarding her alleged misconduct and violation of senate rules.

To the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, Akpoti-Uduaghan said she can’t be beaten to submission or treated like his house maid.

Meanwhile, ‎the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory has fixed 27 October to address the issue of jurisdiction regarding the ongoing defamation trial of Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan. ‎‎

At the resumption of proceedings, the prosecutor, David Kaswe, was set to begin trial but Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan’s legal team headed by Ehiogie West-Idahosa (SAN) raised an objection. ‎‎

The legal team challenged the jurisdiction of the FCT High Court to hear her criminal defamation case.

The key arguments by her lawyers are that the charges are unconstitutional and politically motivated, intended as a witch-hunt to intimidate opposition voices. ‎‎

The defense team contends that defamation is a civil matter and that criminalizing it via the Federal Government’s prosecution is an abuse of prosecutorial power by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF).

‎‎The defense also noted that the AGF lacks legal right to prosecute private defamation claims and argues that the selective enforcement of these charges violates her constitutional rights and suppresses free speech.‎‎

Her legal team insists the court must determine the jurisdiction issue before any further trial proceedings.

This therefore prompted an adjournment by Justice Chizoba Orji.‎‎

This particular case stems from allegations connected to statements she made concerning Senate President Godswill Akpabio and former Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello. ‎‎Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan is also on trial at the Federal High Court over cyber crime charges.

That case too is at the stage of determining whether the court has jurisdiction or not.

At the court a section of the senator’s supporters spoke on the reopened of her office at the National Assembly complex.‎‎‎

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

INEC to Unveil Revised Timetable for 2027 General Elections Amid Electoral Act Updates

Published

on

10 Views

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has confirmed it will soon release a revised timetable and schedule of activities for Nigeria’s 2027 general elections to ensure full alignment with the recently enacted Electoral Act 2026.

The announcement comes after INEC initially set the presidential and National Assembly elections for Saturday, February 20, 2027, and the governorship and state Houses of Assembly polls for Saturday, March 6, 2027, in a notice released on February 13, 2026.

Adedayo Oketola, Chief Press Secretary and Media Adviser to INEC Chairman Prof. Joash Amupitan, stated that the commission is reviewing the new Act and will publish a “revised timetable” accordingly.

This follows legislative amendments, including a reduction in the mandatory notice period for elections from 360 days to 300 days under revised Clause 28 of the Act, granting INEC greater flexibility in scheduling to avoid potential conflicts, such as overlaps with religious observances like Ramadan in 2027.

Political party leaders and stakeholders have pushed for the review, emphasizing the need for compliance with the updated legal framework. INEC has also debunked circulating false claims about an official timetable release, reiterating that the authentic schedule will be issued in due course and in strict adherence to constitutional provisions and the Electoral Act.

The forthcoming timetable is expected to detail critical milestones, including party primaries, campaign periods, voter registration updates, and ongoing nationwide voter revalidation efforts aimed at enhancing electoral integrity ahead of the polls.

INEC assured Nigerians that preparations for the 2027 elections are progressing steadily, with the revised timetable set to provide clarity and guide all stakeholders.

Continue Reading

Politics

Wike Launches FCT Area Council Poll Monitoring at Lagos Crescent, Garki 2, Urges Traders to Ensure Compliance

Published

on

22 Views

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, on Saturday began monitoring of the ongoing FCT Area Council elections at Lagos Crescent, Garki, where he urged traders and residents to comply with electoral guidelines to ensure a smooth process.

Addressing stakeholders in the area, the minister stressed the need for orderliness and full adherence to directives issued for the conduct of the polls.

Wike thereafter visited other polling units across Abuja to assess the level of preparedness and compliance.

He called on residents to come out en masse to exercise their franchise, assuring them of adequate security and a transparent electoral process.

Continue Reading

Politics

EFCC Deploys Operatives to Monitor FCT Area Council Elections, Targets Vote-Buying

Published

on

17 Views

*The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has deployed its operatives across all six Area Councils in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) to monitor today’s local government elections and safeguard electoral integrity.

The deployment aims to curb voter inducement, vote-buying, and other forms of electoral malpractice during the polls organized by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

In a statement released on Saturday, the EFCC emphasized its commitment to ensuring a transparent and credible process. Executive Chairman of the Commission, Mr. Ola Olukoyede, directed operatives to maintain strict surveillance across all council areas and take decisive action against any attempts to compromise the election through financial inducements or corrupt practices.

“Our officers are fully mobilized and actively patrolling polling units and surrounding areas in the FCT,” the statement noted. “The EFCC remains resolute in protecting the electoral process to promote transparency, accountability, and free expression of the people’s will.

“The six Area Councils — Abuja Municipal, Bwari, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Kwali, and Abaji — are holding chairmanship and councillorship elections today, marking a key local governance exercise in the nation’s capital.

The EFCC’s involvement aligns with broader efforts by anti-corruption agencies and security forces to deter vote-selling and ensure that the elections reflect genuine voter preferences rather than financial influence.

As voting continues, the Commission has urged the public to report any suspicious activities involving money-for-votes schemes, promising swift intervention where necessary.

No major incidents involving EFCC operatives have been reported so far, according to initial updates from various sources covering the polls.

Continue Reading

Trending