News
N40,000 rice :FG declares one person, one bag” policy
The Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Senator Abubakar Kyari, says that to ensure fair distribution, the federal government’s rice sales would follow a “one person, one bag” policy.
The N40,000 per bag subsidised rice was officially launched by the Federal Government last week.
The launch, which took place on September 5, 2024, saw the Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Senator Abubakar Kyari, flagging off the sale of 30,000 metric tonnes of milled rice at a subsidised rate of N40,000 per 50kg bag.
Speaking at the launch in Abuja, Kyari revealed that the initiative was driven by the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to ensuring that “Nigerians do not go to bed hungry.”
He acknowledged the various challenges that contributed to the current high cost of food in the country, including the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic, the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war, climate change, and local economic factors.
We are all aware that in the recent past, especially after the mass of COVID-19, and due to the Russian-Ukraine war, climate change and other localised factors, challenges food prices, have made it difficult for Nigerians,” Kyari said.
He assured the public that the government has put in place mechanisms to ensure transparency and the smooth sale of the subsidised rice.
He urged citizens to cooperate with government agencies to make the initiative successful, stating, “I, therefore, urge our dear citizens to cooperate with the relevant agencies of government who will try to serve you to achieve this great initiative of the government.
News
Boat Mishap Claims Lives in Goronyo (Photos)
Residents of Gorau, an agrarian community in Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, have been thrown into mourning following a boat accident that claimed many lives.

Malam Tukur, Head of Operations at the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Sokoto Zonal Office, confirmed the incident. He said details remain sketchy because the security situation has prevented humanitarian workers from accessing the area.

According to him, NEMA officials, working with the National Inland Waterways Authority and state emergency agencies, are en route to the community. Their journey was delayed by an early morning bandits’ attack.

Local sources said the boat was carrying about 40 passengers, including men and women, with the majority of occupants being children aged between 10 and 15 when it capsized.

Superintendent of Police Ahmad Rufai, spokesman of the Sokoto State Police Command, said the command would issue a statement on the development soon.

Over forty five bodies have been recovered so far a local journalist in Gorou community of Goronyo local government area of Sokoto state said.
According to him rescue operations is still ongoing as officials of the National Emergency Management Agency NEMA arrived the affected community. He said about 90 boarded the ill-fated boat and so far only 9 persons have been rescued.
Though this is not an official position, as Humanitarian workers on ground are yet to issue a statement.
News
Okorocha Sues Uzodinma Over Bid for Imo West Senatorial Seat
Former Governor of Imo State Rochas Okorocha has dragged Imo State Governor Hope Uzodinma to court over what he has termed the governor’s inordinate ambition to contest the Imo West Senatorial seat despite his subsisting term in office as governor until 2028.
In the affidavit attached to the suit filed before a Federal High Court in Abuja, Senator Okorocha states that Uzodinma’s tenure in office as governor will expire at midnight on January 14, 2028, having taken the oath of office and been sworn in on January 15, 2024.
He said Uzodinma, whose tenure would not have expired by the year 2027 when the Senate will be inaugurated after the general election in 2027, also purchased expression of interest and nomination forms for the party’s senatorial ticket.
He urged the court to declare that it was unconstitutional for INEC to publish the name of Uzodinma as the APC’s candidate when it was not he who emerged as the winner of the primary election conducted on May 18.
Mr Okorocha prayed the court for an order directing INEC to recognise and publish his name as the duly nominated candidate of the APC to contest the poll.
He alleged that the direct primary election was conducted on May 18 and that he emerged victorious, having secured 150,780 votes while Uzodinma scored 102,158 votes.
He is also asking the court to prohibit Uzodinma, whether by himself or through the APC or anyone however named, from parading himself as the nominated candidate of the party to contest the election.
Respondents in the suit are INEC, Uzodinma and the APC.
News
Gov. Adeleke Prostrates Before Elder Brother After Re-Election Win
Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has drawn widespread praise after a video emerged showing him prostrating fully before his elder brother, Dr. Adedeji Adeleke, in a traditional Yoruba gesture of respect and gratitude.
The clip, shared on social media by media publisher Dele Momodu, captures the re-elected governor lying flat on the floor before his older brother — the father of Afrobeats star Davido — shortly after Adeleke was declared winner of the August 15, 2026 Osun governorship election. In the footage, the governor is seen thanking his brother for his support during the campaign and asking for his prayers. Dr. Adedeji Adeleke responded by removing his cap and offering prayers for the governor and his administration as family members and associates looked on.
Adeleke secured 511,067 votes to defeat his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, who polled 444,815 votes. The Independent National Electoral Commission declared him the winner days before the viral moment.
The gesture has sparked positive reactions online, with many Nigerians highlighting the governor’s humility and the strong cultural values of the Adeleke family. Commenters noted that the display of respect for elders remains a hallmark of Yoruba tradition, even for someone holding high office.
Governor Adeleke has previously described his elder brother as a father figure and trusted adviser whose counsel he values highly.
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Diverts EFCC Funds to NELFUND
-
Politics3 days ago2Baba’s wife Natasha emerges Edo Assembly Minority Leader
-
International3 days agoTrump Annex Strait of Hormuz “New US Territory”
-
Opinions1 day agoBREAKING: Lagos Govt Declares Today, Thursday Work-Free to Mark 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day
-
Politics3 days agoBayelsa Assembly Approves Removal Of Sagbama Council Chairman, Vice
-
Business3 days agoTCN improves Power Supply to Apapa corridors by additional 208MW
-
Politics2 days ago2027 Political Campaign Begins Today
-
News2 days agoMilitary Pensioners Protest Exclusion from Tinubu’s Salary Increments
