Crime
Lynched travellers: Tension in Edo as DSS arrests principal suspects

Operatives of the Department of State Security have arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government last week.
According to a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpehbolo, Fred Itua, the suspects were arrested by operatives of the DSS in Uromi, following credible intelligence.
He noted that operatives of various security agencies were hunting for other key suspects involved in the unfortunate incidents.
He said, “Operatives of the Department of State Security have arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government last week.
“The suspects were arrested by operatives of the DSS in Uromi, following credible intelligence. Operatives of various security agencies are hunting for other key suspects involved in the unfortunate incidents.
”In the latest development, the two principal suspects arrested by officials of the DSS have been transferred to Abuja, the nation’s capital, for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.
According to reports, the 14 suspects arrested in connection with the killings have been transferred to Force headquarters while investigation continues on the matter.
The transfer of the suspects to Abuja was in compliance with the directive of the Inspector-General of Police.
“I can confirm to you that the suspects have been taken to Abuja as directed by the IGP and investigation into the matter is still ongoing.
”Itua also said he could not confirm if the compensation promised the family of the victim would be financial.
He, however, said the Edo and Kano governments were working together to fashion out a suitable compensation for the family of the victims.
“As you are aware, Governor Okpehbolo met with the Kano State Government and visited the families of the I6 people that were killed, where he promised compensation.
“I cannot say what form the compensation will take but both state governments are talking to ensure that the victims’ families are compensated.
”A resident of Uromi, who gave his name simply as Michael, said residents of the area, where the killings took place, were deserting their villages over fear of being arrested.
He stated that women thronged the Ojuromi of Uromi palace to protest the indiscriminate arrest of people in Uromi following the killings of the 16 travellers.
He said, “What is happening now is that people are leaving their houses where the killing took place for fear of being arrested by the police, who have been mandated to fish out all the culprits.
“I believe the protest by the women on Monday is in connection with the indiscriminate arrest of residents by security agencies.”
Meanwhile, the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has claimed that some major opposition political parties were planning to instigate a crisis in the state and make it ungovernable.
The state APC chairman, Jarret Tenebe, stated this during a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
“It has come to our attention that the leadership of some major opposition parties in our state, along with two others, has devised a reckless and dangerous plot to instigate crisis and make Edo ungovernable,” he said.
Tenebe alleged that the aim of those behind the plot was to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in the state.
“Their sinister objective is clear: they want to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Edo, because they have no confidence in securing victory at the Edo Election Petition Tribunal.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the tribunal will, on Wednesday, deliver judgment in the petition filed by the PDP candidate, Asue Ighodalo, against the outcome of the Sept. 21, 2024 governorship election in the state.
Crime
Over 23,000 Still Missing in Nigeria, ICRC Reveals

More than 23,659 people are still missing across Nigeria, leaving 13,595 families — mostly women — in distress, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The grim figure was disclosed on Sunday by Mr. Ishaku Luka, Team Lead for Protection of Family Links at the ICRC in Damaturu, during events marking the International Day of the Disappeared.
Luka said that 68% of those searching for missing loved ones are women, while 59% of the missing were children at the time they disappeared. Yobe State alone accounts for around 2,500 of the cases, with the majority reported from Gujba Local Government Area.
“Each missing person represents a family trapped in pain and uncertainty, often facing legal, social, and economic hardships,” Luka said, stressing that the plight of these families is one of the overlooked consequences of conflict, disasters, and migration.
He urged authorities, communities, and all parties to conflict to take greater responsibility in preventing disappearances and protecting civilians.
Providing updates on ICRC’s work, Luka revealed that between January and June 2025, the organisation documented 451 new cases and resolved 515. In that period, seven children separated from their families were successfully reunited.
“Every day, we help reunite 20 people globally. Every hour, we clarify the fate of two missing persons. Every minute, we help four people contact their families,” he noted.
ICRC representative Hassan added that healing does not come with time alone, but with answers, acknowledgment, and support. He highlighted the ongoing support provided in states like Borno and Adamawa, including mental health services, livelihood aid, and family orientation programmes in partnership with the Nigerian Red Cross Society.
He called on Nigerian authorities to fulfill their legal and moral obligations — by clarifying the fate of missing persons, respecting the dignity of the deceased, and supporting affected families.
Globally, over 94,000 new missing persons were registered in 2024, bringing the total to 284,400 — a figure the ICRC believes underrepresents the true scale of the crisis.
“No family should have to live with the torment of not knowing. We renew our commitment to advocate for the disappeared and stand with their families,” Hassan said.
Crime
YELWATA KILLINGS: DSS Files Charges Against Suspects over Benue Attacks

The Department of State Services (DSS) on Thursday filed six separate charges at the Federal High Court in Abuja against terror suspects responsible for deadly attacks in Yelwata village, Guma Local Government Area of Benue State.
The assaults left numerous people dead and others injured.
The charges involve nine suspects apprehended through intelligence-led operations by DSS operatives. However, only two of these suspects were charged in court on four counts related to the Yelwata massacre.
The accused, Haruna Adamu and Muhammad Abdullahi, both from Awe Local Government Area of Nasarawa State, alongside others still at large, are alleged to have carried out attacks on Abinsi and Yelwata villages on June 13, 2025.
Their actions violate Section 12 of the Terrorism Prevention Act, 2022.
The two suspects are accused of conspiring with Musa Beniyon, Bako Malowa, Ibrahim Tunga, Asara Ahnadu, Legu Musa, Adamu Yale, Boddi Ayuba, Pyeure Damina, and others still at large, to execute the Yelwata attacks.
According to the DSS charges, the defendants knowingly concealed critical information about the planned terrorist attacks and killings in Abinsi and Yelwata between June 13 and 14, which could have aided in preventing the acts and apprehending the perpetrators.
Filed by the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation (DPPF), Muhammad Abubakar, on behalf of the federal government, the charges further accuse the defendants of preparing to commit acts of terrorism with the named co-conspirators, in violation of Section 29 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act, 2022.
In a separate charge, two more suspects, Terkende Ashuwa and Amos Alede from Guma Local Government Area, were charged with three counts for allegedly conducting reprisal attacks against terror suspects involved in the Abinsi and Yelwata incidents.
In case file FHC/ABJ/CR/448/2025, the pair are accused of attending and participating in meetings that led to acts of terrorism causing destruction of private property and economic loss, including the death of 12 cattle in Ukpam village, Benue State.
This is contrary to Section 12 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act.
The second count alleges that in July 2025, they conspired during a meeting in Daudu town, Guma LGA, to carry out terrorist acts together with others still at large, violating Section 26 of the same Act.
The third count claims they knowingly supported and received material assistance in the form of locally made guns and an AK-47 rifle from one Alhaji Uba to commit terrorism, leading to property destruction and cattle loss in Ukpam village, punishable under Section 13 of the Terrorism Prevention Act.
Additionally, Halima Haliru Umar, a 32-year-old woman from Faskari Local Government Area, Katsina State, faces a four-count charge for concealing information about Alhaji Sani, a suspected gun runner, bandit, and kidnapper.
Her actions allegedly prevented the timely apprehension of criminal elements, violating Section 6 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act.
She is also accused of aiding terrorism by transporting 302 rounds of live AK-47 ammunition to bandits in July 2025, contrary to Section 13 of the Act.
In another case, two elderly men—75-year-old Nanbol Tali and Timnan Manjo—face four-count charges for illegal possession and trading of firearms.
They are accused of buying and selling two locally fabricated AK-47 rifles without licenses for 3 million naira, violating Sections 9 and 27 of the Firearms Act, 2024.
They allegedly possessed one AK-47 rifle in Mangu LGA, Plateau State, and purchased three long-range revolver rifles at 60,000 naira each from an individual named Chomo, intending to resell them to bandits.
In a related development, Danjuma Antu of Jos North, Plateau State, was charged on five counts for unlawful possession of two locally fabricated pistols capable of firing 9mm ammunition, contrary to Section 3 and punishable under Section 27 of the Firearms Act, 2024.
Similarly, Silas Iduh Oloche of Agatu LGA, Benue State, faces six counts of unlawful possession of 18 firearms (including grenades) without licenses, violating Sections 3 and 27 of the Firearms Act.
He was reportedly found with 683 live rounds of 7.62mm ammunition on August 2, 2025, contrary to Section 8 of the same Act.
No trial date has yet been scheduled for the suspects charged on Thursday, August 28, 2025.
Crime
Two feared dead as violence breaks out at Balogun Market, Lagos Island

Panic broke out at the popular Balogun Market on Lagos Island on Wednesday, after a violent clash reportedly left at least two people dead.
Videos circulating on social media showed disturbing scenes from the incident.
According to reports, a man, apparently attacked with a machete, was seen lying motionless on the ground.
Another video seen online captured the suspected assailant, stripped naked and reportedly lynched by an angry mob.
The cause of the unrest has not been clearly established.
While some eyewitnesses suggest the violence was the result of a cult-related confrontation, others alleged it stemmed from an inter-tribal dispute between Yoruba and Igbo traders.
In the aftermath, shops were hurriedly closed as traders and passersby scrambled for safety.
Security operatives were yet to release an official statement on the incident at the time of filing this report.
-
Sports3 days ago
BREAKING: Champions League draw for 2025/2026 season confirmed [Full fixtures]
-
Crime3 days ago
YELWATA KILLINGS: DSS Files Charges Against Suspects over Benue Attacks
-
Business3 days ago
We are under attack – NNPCL GCEO, Ojulari
-
News3 days ago
Nigeria Seeks global action against West Africa’s cattle rustlers
-
News2 days ago
Nigerian Passport Now N100,000, N200,000 from Sept 1
-
News2 days ago
INTERPOL arrests 1,209 cybercriminals, recovers $97.4m
-
News3 days ago
Slain businessman, Fish Magnate buried amidst anguish from family (Photos)
-
Sports2 days ago
Fenerbahce sacks head coach Mourinho