Connect with us

News

Lagos Warns Residents “Don’t Go Out in The Heavy Rain falls”

The State Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, warned that the forecast gathered from the State’s weather stations for today and the next few days has a geostationary imagery showing thunderstorms and widespread convective rainfall with dense cloud cover.

Published

on

736 Views

Lagos State Government on Saturday urged residents of the state especially those living in low-lying areas to be at alert because with the intensity of the rainfall already being experienced, many areas will encounter flash floods.

In a statement signed by the State Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, warned that the forecast gathered from the State’s weather stations for today and the next few days has a geostationary imagery showing thunderstorms and widespread convective rainfall with dense cloud cover.

He added that what the geostationary imagery means in simple language is that many areas will experience very heavy rainfalls and flash floods which the people have been alerted about earlier in the year.

He said that all areas that are abutting the rivers and lagoons in Lagos are also at risk of experiencing flash floods which may come with high currents.

He cautioned all residents who may not have serious businesses to conduct outside their homes during the rains to tarry and wait till it subsides before they go out to be able to determine the intensity and how to prepare.

He advised parents to watch over their wards and school children many of whom are still on mid -terms holidays so that they do not go outside to play under the rain or swim in the flash floods.

Wahab also reiterated the earlier warning to motorists and pedestrians not to wade through floods as there is the tendency that vehicles may be submerged and people swept away with such heavy floods.

He explained to all residents Lagos being a coastal state, with the heavy rainfalls, the level of water in the lagoon is bound to rise and will result in a tidal lock which will prevent discharge from all collectors.

He warned residents not to engage in disposing their refuse into the drains as the rains fall, warning that there are consequences for such acts and the refuse will end up blocking the drains and causing flash floods.

The Commissioner said all the drains in the state are being cleaned and maintained on a year round basis to be able to contain run off from rainfalls, warning however that whenever more than usual rain falls, all concerted efforts are required to checkmate its effects.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NYSC warns against night travel as 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation begins June 10

The orientation exercise will officially end on Tuesday, June 30, 2026.

Published

on

By

29 Views

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) announced Thursday that the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Stream I Orientation Course will begin on Wednesday, June 10, 2026, with the reception and registration of prospective corps members across the country.

In a statement signed by Caroline Embu, Director, Information and Public Relations, NYSC said that the registration would end at midnight on Friday, June 12, in all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

The NYSC added that the swearing-in ceremony for prospective corps members mobilised for the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Stream I service year would also take place on Friday, June 12.

The orientation exercise will officially end on Tuesday, June 30, 2026.

The scheme wished all mobilised Nigerian graduates safe journeys to their various orientation camps nationwide and reiterated its warning against night travel.

It advised prospective corps members to suspend their journeys once it is 6pm and spend the night at any available corps members’ lodge, military formation, police station, outpost, or palace of a traditional ruler before continuing the next morning.

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu appoints 40 years old Prof Aina as JAMB Registrar

Prof Aina will succeed Prof Is-haq Oloyede, whose two-term tenure expires on July 31, 2026.

Published

on

By

20 Views

Prof Segun Aina

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as the new registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

Prof Aina will succeed Professor Is-haq Oloyede, whose two-term tenure expires on July 31, 2026.

Professor Aina, who will be 40 in July, is a distinguished academic and systems expert with extensive experience in national examination systems, digital infrastructure, and public-sector institutional reform.

A statement by the presidential spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, stated that “President Tinubu expects Professor Aina to bring to bear his vast experience, knowledge and practical insight into the operations of the Board to take the critical educational organisation beyond the laudable heights achieved by his predecessor.”

A professor of computer engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Aina began his career with JAMB during his National Youth Service, gaining foundational experience in national admissions and data-driven institutional processes.

These insights have shaped his ongoing contributions to examination reform and systems optimisation.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria now produces 10,000 passports per hour

In an address during the International Civil Service Conference 2026 in Abuja, the minister said that the reform has transformed passport production from a slow, manual and fragmented process into a system driven by automation, integration and efficiency.

Published

on

By

26 Views

Photo: Minister of Interior, Olatunji Olubunmi-Ojo

Minister of Interior, Olatunji Olubunmi-Ojo, said that Nigeria can now produce “nothing less than 10,000 passports per hour.”

The minister attributes the passport production fest to the establishment of a world-class centralised personalisation centre in Abuja, a development he described as the first of its kind since 1963.

In an address during the International Civil Service Conference 2026 in Abuja, the minister said that the reform has transformed passport production from a slow, manual and fragmented process into a system driven by automation, integration and efficiency.

“For the first time since 1963, we have a world-class centralised personalisation centre in Abuja,” said Olubunmi-Ojo.

“And what that means is that from a system that could do 400 or 500 passports per hour, all over the world, we could barely do three, four thousand a day or per hour.

Today, we are in a position to do nothing less than 10,000 passports per hour with a centralised level of control.”

He said the nder the new arrangement, stressing that the innovation marks a major shift in the management of internal security services and public administration.

Continue Reading

Trending