Crime
JUST IN: Presidency Behind My Ordeal, Wants To Link Me With Terrorism – Freed FirstNews Editor Segun Olatunji reveals
***NGE, NUJ, IPI Nigeria Kicks, threatens to Approach Court
The released Editor of FirstNews Newspaper, Segun Olatunji, has on Thursday linked his abduction and detention by the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) to his stories published in the course of his journalism job.
Olatunji reveals that one of the stories he published titled, “How Gbajabiamila attempted to corner$30bn, 66 Houses Special Investigator traced to Sabiu”, published on January 29 2024 does not please some persons in the Presidency.
Ohibaba.com read through FirstNews website today and discovered that the story has not been pulled down, despite the controversy it generated.
Olatunji, a former Kaduna Bureau Chief of The PUNCH stated these during an emergency press conference organised by the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE), Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) and International Press Institute (IPI Nigeria), few hours after his release from underground cell after 14 days.
While in the underground cell, Olatunji said he was stripped and were linking him with alleged terrorism.
Olatunji thanked those who supported him, including the Deputy Editor of The Nation, Yomi Odunuga, who signed the documents which aided his release process and Political Correspondent of Arise News, Friday Olokor, who championed the struggle for his freedom.
“I was at home with my son on Friday, March 15, watching ‘Journalists Hangout,’ when I noticed soldiers outside. My wife and my one year old child were also detained. An officer, who introduced himself as Colonel Lawal, approached me. I inquired about their reason for seeking me. He didn’t provide a clear answer, only stating they were from the military”, Olatunji continued.
He described how his encounter with the military spiraled into a series of events that included being blindfolded, flown to Abuja, and detained without charges.
According to him, after his phones were seized, his abductors took him to the Lagos Airport and waited for Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Aircraft, blindfolded and flown to Abuja.
The journalist said he found himself handcuffed, both hands and feet, and stripped of his belongings in the nation’s capital.
During his detention, Olatunji said he experienced physical discomfort due to excessively tight handcuffs, which led to numbness in his right hands and legs.
He said that while in detention, interrogations focused on specific stories published by FirstNews, especially those criticizing the Chief of Defense Intelligence and the Chief of Staff to the President (Femi Gbajabiamila).
“The first story was an accusation against the Chief of Defense Intelligence. I informed them that it was a general story, and they did not say much about it. They also inquired about a story we published regarding the Chief of Staff to the President. This was the major issue. This is why I had mentioned to some people earlier that those responsible for my arrest were individuals in the corridors of power, suggesting that these stories were the reason for my detention.
“It was evident that certain individuals in positions of power were unhappy with the work being done by FirstNews. And they want to link me with alleged terrorism”, he stated.
Olatunji’s wife, who witnessed the abduction, described the fear and confusion she felt as armed men took her husband from their home.
While the Publisher of FirstNews, Daniel Iworiso-Markson, and Olatunji’s colleagues and family endured days of uncertainty, the International Press Institute (IPI Nigeria), Nigeria Guild of Editors (NGE), and the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) diligently worked to locate Olatunji, confronting various government and security agencies.
Their efforts met with denials until a press statement by the IPI Nigeria and subsequent pressure on military officials led to acceptance by the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris that he was with government and eventual release.
“According to the management of FirstNews, Mr. Olatunji’s abduction was linked to a recent story published by the media organization,” The President of IPI Nigeria, Musikilu Mojeed, said.
The leadership of the IPI, NGE, and NUJ criticized the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) for its actions, which they deemed anti-democratic and a potential threat to press freedom.
They called on President Bola Tinubu to reprimand those responsible.
The Secretary of the Nigerian Guild of Editors, Dr Iyobosa Uwugiaren, emphasized the importance of a free press.
He said, “If the press is not allowed to carry out its social and constitutional responsibilities but is instead subservient to power, it simply serves as an extension of power.”
Uwugiaren added that the media community would remain vigilant and plan to consult on further actions regarding this incident.
He explained that the outcry over Olatunji’s detention underscored ongoing concerns about press freedom and civil-military relations in Nigeria’s evolving democracy.
Crime
BREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed cybercrime charges against former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of involvement in the unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu.

QAccording to court documents, the charges stem from El-Rufai’s statements during a live interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026. In the broadcast, he reportedly admitted to accessing an intercepted conversation in which Ribadu allegedly instructed security operatives to arrest him upon his return to Nigeria.

Prosecutors allege that this interception seriously compromised national security and public safety, creating widespread fear among citizens by exposing vulnerabilities in high-level communications.
The three-count charge accuses El-Rufai of violating provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act 2003. He faces allegations of direct participation in the unlawful interception as well as failing to report those responsible for the act to the appropriate authorities.
The development follows intense public backlash and calls for investigation after El-Rufai’s televised remarks, which drew criticism from political figures, including presidential aides, who described the admission as a confession to illegal wiretapping of a top security official.
El-Rufai has previously denied direct wrongdoing in related controversies, framing his comments within broader claims of surveillance practices by government agencies.
The case is expected to heighten political tensions ahead of future elections as proceedings unfold in court.
Crime
NDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a China-based Nigerian businessman and two Angolan nationals after they excreted a total of 236 wraps of cocaine at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA) in Abuja and Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA) in Kano.

A 34-year-old Nigerian, Ibeanu Vincent Chukwudulue, who relocated to Guangzhou, China in 2024 after business on Lagos Island, was intercepted on February 4, 2026, aboard a Qatar Airways flight from Kano en route to China via Abuja and Doha. Body scans confirmed ingestion, and he excreted 52 pellets weighing 735.95 grams under observation.

The Angolans, 50-year-old Mbandu Martins Makiadi and 52-year-old Ngoma Wilson Fernando from Luanda, were nabbed the same day at Kano airport during clearance for an Ethiopian Airlines flight to Istanbul via Addis Ababa. Mbandu excreted 76 wraps (920 grams) in seven sessions, while Ngoma expelled 108 pellets (1.33 kg) in five sessions.

They claimed recruitment by a Luanda auto spare parts dealer promising $3,000 each for delivery in Turkey.

In a separate operation, NDLEA thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji—serving five years at Ikoyi Correctional Centre for a prior 17.9 kg cocaine case—to export 1.1 kg of cocaine hidden in garri (cassava granules) to London via Virgin Atlantic from Lagos airport.

The February 12 consignment, sent via his Dimeji Express Logistics firm, led to the arrest of staff Adedeji Yusuf Gbolahan; investigations traced the plot to Olashupo directing from prison.

Another Lagos export bid involving 1.7 kg of skunk concealed in jerry cans to the UK was foiled, resulting in the arrests of cargo agent Mustapha Quddus Opeyemi and sender Adelaja Taiwo Adetayo.
In Abuja, operatives on February 12 intercepted a waybill from Enugu containing a children’s toy guitar hiding 59.2 grams of Canadian Loud cannabis, leading to the arrest of owner Henry Onuma in Life Camp.

A major bust in Lagos saw NDLEA raid a four-bedroom duplex at Ikate-Elegushi, Lekki on February 13, uncovering a Colorado (synthetic cannabis) production factory. Following a prior seizure of 73 cartons of nitrous oxide en route to Benin City, officers recovered 13.2 kg of freshly produced Colos, precursor chemicals, and arrested Victor Oyedeji and driver Amos Innocent.

Additional seizures included 1.189 kg Colos/skunk, 320 grams methamphetamine, ₦2.975 million cash, and two vehicles from female dealer Oluwayemisi Bunmi in Ibadan; 105,400 tramadol pills from Kamilu Abdullahi in Kwara; and 563.5 kg skunk from five suspects in Edo’s Ovia North East forest.

NDLEA continued its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization in schools and communities nationwide.

NDLEA Chairman Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) commended operatives for their balanced supply and demand reduction efforts, urging sustained professionalism.

Crime
COAS Deploys Special Forces to Plateau to Crush Resurgent Banditry Attacks
The Nigerian Army has intensified its efforts to combat the recent resurgence of banditry attacks in Plateau State, with the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, approving the immediate deployment of the COAS Intervention Battalion of Special Forces to the region.
According to a press release from Captain Chinonso Oteh, Media Information Officer for the Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE, the newly deployed special forces personnel will join existing troops already operating in the state.
Their mandate is to aggressively and decisively confront the escalating threats posed by bandit groups, marking a significant escalation in military response aimed at restoring lasting security.
Upon arrival at the Headquarters of 3 Division in Jos, the troops were received on behalf of the General Officer Commanding 3 Division and Commander of Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE, Major General Folusho Oyinlola.
Representing him was the Chief of Staff for Operation ENDURING PEACE, Brigadier General Senlong Sule. Brigadier General Sule urged the special forces operatives to conduct offensive operations against the bandits with decisiveness and ruthlessness.
He commended Lieutenant General Shaibu’s proactive leadership in supplying essential combat enablers and logistical support to ensure the troops can effectively fulfill their mandate.
Major General Oyinlola, through his representative, appealed to residents of Plateau State not to be alarmed by the increased movement of large numbers of troops and heavy military equipment across the state. He emphasized that these deployments are part of coordinated efforts to neutralize criminal elements.
The GOC also thanked citizens for their ongoing support to the military and called for heightened collaboration, particularly through the timely provision of actionable intelligence on the locations and activities of criminal groups.
Such community input, he noted, will be crucial in enabling troops to achieve the desired peace and stability in Plateau State and surrounding areas.
-
Crime3 days agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News3 days agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News2 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News3 days agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News2 days agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Business12 hours agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
Business19 hours agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Business19 hours agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
