Connect with us

News

CNG: FG sets to rollout initial critical assets May 29

Published

on

384 Views

All is now set for the delivery of the first set of critical assets for the deployment and launch of the Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) initiative ahead of the first anniversary of the Tinubu administration on May 29.

According to the presidency, which stated this on Sunday by Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Nigeria will take “some baby steps” to join nations that already have large fleets of CNG vehicles by the end of May.

He said: after months of detailed planning and background work, the committee driving the initiative is set to deliver on President Tinubu’s vision and promise, the statement said.

Already, the Presidential Compressed Natural Gas Initiative (PCNGI) committee, led by Michael Oluwagbemi, has delivered some major foundational reforms to enable the new CNG and Electric Vehicles future the president promised.

The statement affirmed, “After the removal of the wasteful fuel subsidy on May 29, 2023, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu launched the Presidential CNG Initiative in October last year to deliver cheaper, safer, and more climate-friendly energy. The CNG Initiative was designed to deliver compressed natural gas, especially for mass transit.”

“The Federal Government, as part of the many intervention programs to reduce the burden of the increase in pump price on the masses, provided N100 billion (part of the N500 billion palliative budget) to purchase 5500 CNG vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 Electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits, alongside spurring the development of CNG refilling stations and electric charging stations,” it added.

The statement observed that with necessary tax and duty waivers approved by President Tinubu in December 2023, the PCNGI committee is partnering with the private sector to deliver on the initiative.

The presidency maintained that the Tinubu administration has opened a new industry, along with creating thousands of new jobs.

“In all, over 600 buses are targeted for production in the first phase, which will be accomplished this year,” it noted.

“As part of private sector collaboration, NIPCO and BOVAS are involved in offering refilling services for the CNG vehicles and also serving as conversion centers,” the statement added.

“The Tinubu administration is an enabler of the evolving CNG industry,” it concluded.

News

200 Kaduna varsity lecturers resign over poor condition of service

Most of the lecturers who left the institution secured appointments in newer universities within and outside Kaduna State.

Published

on

By

8 Views

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has raised concern over the departure of more than 200 lecturers of Kaduna State University, (KASU).

Chairman of ASUU-KASU, Dr Abubakar Abdullahi, disclosed this at a press conference on Monday in Kaduna, lamenting that lecturers, including professors, left the institution due to poor conditions of service and non-implementation of the 2025 Federal Government- ASUU Agreement.

Abdullahi said that most of the lecturers who left the institution secured appointments in newer universities within and outside Kaduna State.

Consequently, the Union has issued a two-week ultimatum to the Kaduna State Government and university authorities to implement and domesticate the agreement.

The union warned that failure to act within the period could result in a total and indefinite strike at the university.

Continue Reading

News

Edo House of Assembly Elect New Speaker Idiaye, Hints Why Agbebaku Resign

“Once the leadership is poor, it will drag the work of the governor backwards. So we decided to say no.”

Published

on

By

12 Views

The new Speaker of the Edo House of Assembly, Mr Yekini Idiaye

The Edo House of Assembly has sworn in a newly elected Speaker , Yekini Idiaye, following the resignation of the former speaker, Blessing Agbebaku.

Speaking in an interview after his swearing-in ceremony in Benin, Idiaye pledged the full cooperation of the house to the state executive, describing Governor Monday Okpebholo as a performing leader who deserved legislative backings.

“He is doing a lot for the people of Edo, so we have to cooperate with him to move the state forward,” he added.

Fielding question on the exit of the former speaker, Idiaye cited the challenges of corruption and poor leadership.

Idiaye said: ” There’s corruption here and there. Every now and then it is adjournment — we resume tomorrow, adjournment for another 30 days, 20 days — and we were all not too happy with this leadership style.”

The new speaker pointed out that a weak legislature directly affected the executive, adding that the house had to act to protect the governor’s performance.

“Once the leadership is poor, it will drag the work of the governor backwards. So we decided to say no.”

Continue Reading

News

Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.

Published

on

By

13 Views

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.

He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”

Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.

Continue Reading

Trending