International
JUST IN: Nancy Pelosi announces retirement from historic run in Congress
Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi (D-California) announced her retirement Thursday morning via video message.
In the message posted on her social media accounts she speaks directly to San Francisco.
She said: “San Francisco, know your power,”. “We have made history. We have made progress. We have always led the way, and now we must continue to do so by remaining full participants in our democracy and fighting for the American ideals we hold dear.
“Dear San Francisco, we are fortunate to live in the most beautiful, remarkable place on Earth, but the true magic of San Francisco, the San Franciscans. There’s a reason why our city has always been synonymous with the future. Here, we don’t fear the future. We forge it from the gold rush to the miracles of science and technology. Our city has always been the cradle of innovation, buzzing with optimism and creativity.
“We are vibrant and diverse city, home to hard working families, diligent students and Heroic veterans and the dreams of entrepreneurs and immigrants from Chinatown to Japantown, from the mission to the film Hunters Point to the Castro North Beach to the sunset. We are also resilient, experiencing more than our fair share of challenges.
“When the Loma Prieta earthquake struck, we brought in federal support that ensured we would not just recover but reimagine the South of Market neighborhood, and of course, HIV AIDS tested our city to its core. But out of our agony came action. Under the leadership of UCSF and San Francisco General, we pioneered comprehensive community based care, prevention and research.
That very system served as a model, as we wrote the Ryan White Care Act, which still ensures access to life saving medical care nationwide. Fittingly, our city is home to the National AIDS memorial grove, a place of renewal, where we remember the loved ones we lost. For decades, I’ve cherished the privilege of representing our magnificent city in the United States Congress.”
International
Trump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
Trump, who has sharply curtailed foreign aid, said that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the initiative whose goals include rebuilding Gaza, which was reduced to rubble by two years of war between Hamas and Israel.
Image credit : AFP
President Donald Trump on Thursday promised $10 billion for a new “Board of Peace,” an amorphous new institution focused first on Gaza that is being launched just as he threatens Iran with war.
While US warplanes and aircraft carriers headed toward Iran on his orders, Trump welcomed some two dozen allies from around the world to the gleaming Washington building of the former US Institute of Peace, which has been gutted and renamed after the 79-year-old Republican.
Trump, who has sharply curtailed foreign aid, said that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the initiative whose goals include rebuilding Gaza, which was reduced to rubble by two years of war between Hamas and Israel.
“Together we can achieve the dream of bringing lasting harmony to a region tortured by centuries of war, suffering,” said the realtor-turned-president, who has previously spoken improbably of building tourist resorts in Gaza.
Trump did not explain exactly where the money would go and his “Board of Peace” has drawn wide criticism for its opaque nature.
Trump will wield veto power over the “Board of Peace” and can remain its head even after leaving office, while countries that want to stay on permanently rather than enjoy a two-year stint will need to pay $1 billion.
In a rambling speech in which he denounced domestic opponents, highlighted stock market gains and hailed his prowess in endorsing foreign leaders during elections, Trump said he wanted to pursue more peace deals.
Crime
BREAKING: Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe Arrested in Johannesburg After Alleged Shooting at Home
Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of the late former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, has been arrested following a shooting incident at his residence in the upscale Hyde Park suburb.
According to reports from South African media outlets including eNCA and IOL, as well as Gauteng police investigations, an employee—described variably as a security guard or gardener—was shot during an apparent dispute at the property.
The victim is in critical condition and receiving medical treatment.Police responded to the scene, where Mugabe was reportedly taken into custody in connection with the shooting.
Some unconfirmed social media accounts and early reports mentioned police negotiators attending amid claims the suspect had barricaded himself, but he was subsequently arrested.
This marks the latest in a series of legal troubles for Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, who has previously faced charges related to assault in Zimbabwe, including incidents involving security personnel and law enforcement.
The investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS) is ongoing, with more details expected as the case develops. Authorities have not yet released an official statement on charges or motives.
The incident has drawn significant attention online and in regional media, given the family’s prominent political legacy.
International
Five Critically Injured in Catastrophic Explosion at Upstate New York Church
A powerful explosion devastated the Abundant Life Fellowship Church in this rural community on Tuesday morning, February 17, 2026, leaving five people—including the church’s pastor and four firefighters—critically injured, authorities said.
The blast occurred around 10:25–10:30 a.m. at the church located on State Route 12 in the Town of Boonville, Oneida County, approximately 50 miles northeast of Syracuse. Emergency responders were initially dispatched after reports of a strong gas odor inside the building.
According to New York State Police, a preliminary investigation indicates that four individuals were in the church basement when the furnace activated, triggering the explosion.
A fifth person a firefighter was on the first floor attempting to ventilate the structure and was thrown against a wall by the force of the blast.
The injured have been identified as:
– Brandon Pitts, 43, pastor of Abundant Life Fellowship Church
– David Pritchard Jr., 60, Boonville Fire Chief
– Allan Austin, 67, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
– Nicholas Amicucci, 43, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
– Richard Czajka, 71, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
All five victims were transported to regional hospitals, including Upstate University Hospital and Wynn Hospital, where they remain in critical but stable condition.
The explosion caused catastrophic damage to the church building, which officials now consider “destroyed.”
Thick black smoke billowed from the site following the blast.
State police emphasized that there is no indication of criminal activity at this time, and the incident appears to stem from a propane or gas-related issue in the heating system.
The investigation is ongoing.Community members and first responder agencies have expressed support for the injured and their families as recovery efforts continue.
-
Business2 days agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
News1 day agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Business3 days agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Politics3 days agoAgain, Violence Erupts at Ondo APC Congress in Idanre
-
Business3 days agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
-
News3 days agoGas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised
-
News2 days agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
International2 days agoFive Critically Injured in Catastrophic Explosion at Upstate New York Church
