Connect with us

News

JUST IN: Governor Alia Names Top Politicians, NASS Members Sponsoring Attacks In Benue

Published

on

603 Views

…..Alia made the allegation during Friday’s Politics Today program on Channels Television, describing the situation as very unsettling and extremely unacceptable.

Benue State Governor, Hyacinth Alia, has accused top serving politicians in Abuja and the National Assembly of instigating killings, harbouring and feeding those responsible for the crisis in the state.

Alia made the allegation during Friday’s Politics Today program on Channels Television, describing the situation as very unsettling and extremely unacceptable. The Governor said that while the politicians were interested in fighting for their positions, it was his right to protect and serve the interests of the masses.

Although Alia declined to disclose the names of the politicians allegedly involved in the killings, he stated that a judicial panel had been set up to investigate the reasons behind the attacks, adding that the report indicted many big names and vowed to take up the matter when he receives the full report.

He said, “It is very, very unsettling because top politicians who are very functional and are in the National Assembly and are in Abuja, are the architects and arrowheads of not just instigating, but harbouring and keeping these people and feeding them in the bushes, and taking care of all their needs and buying all the other gadgets for them.

“This is extremely unacceptable. If they do not love the lives of the people and they’re only fighting for their own position, I think I am serving the interest of the common masses and it is a concern to me, and it is my right to protect it.

“We set up a judicial panel to sort out for us why we kept having attacks from within and from without, and we have received an interim report. Between Tuesday and Wednesday next week, I am going to get a full report from the panel.

“So once we receive this report that is coming, we are going to take it up and take it up very seriously. There are quite a lot of big names that are mentioned here, so this is where we are.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu, Shettima , Jonathan highlight political lessons from Gowon ‘s autobiography ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance.’

Gowon, on his part, explained that he wrote the memoir to tell his truth rather than settle scores. “My story and that of Nigeria became intertwined,” he told the audience, describing the book as his “modest attempt to document the opportunity I had to serve Nigeria”.

Published

on

By

27 Views

Former Head of State Gen Yakubu Gowon (retd) on Tuesday launched an autobiography, titled ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance.’

The book launch was graced by Former President Goodluck Jonathan ; Vice‑President Kashim Shettima, former Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gowon (rted) with his wife Victoria, Former Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Martin Luther Agwai (rted) Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar III , and former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, among other VIPs.

Speaking during the public presentation of the book at the Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Centre, the president, who was represented by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, urged that the memoir be widely circulated to preserve historical memory and strengthen national unity.

President Tinubu emphasised that accounts from leaders who lived through defining moments are essential to deepening democratic stability.

“A nation that misplaces its memory soon begins to quarrel with its own reflection. A society without memory becomes an orphan in time,” he said.

Tinubu told the gathering that Gowon’s reflections arrive at a critical juncture for Nigeria and West Africa, where insecurity, economic pressure and social fragmentation persist.

He praised Gowon’s post-civil war reconciliatory stance, particularly the “No victor, no vanquished” declaration, as a principle that “helped preserve Nigeria’s unity after the civil war”.

Former President Goodluck Jonathan agreed to that Yakubu Gowon’s “No victor, no vanquished” declaration after the Nigerian civil war helped to create the basis for national healing across the country.

Jonathan lauded the former military head of state for his role in strengthening unity, promoting reconciliation and supporting youth development.

He described Gowon as a “living testimony” of leadership during one of Nigeria’s most consequential eras.

Gowon, on his part, explained that he wrote the memoir to tell his truth rather than settle scores. “My story and that of Nigeria became intertwined,” he told the audience, describing the book as his “modest attempt to document the opportunity I had to serve Nigeria”.

He cautioned Nigerians ahead of the 2027 election against listening to “naysayers”, insisting that the nation “did not fail under my watch” and “will never fail despite the country’s challenges”.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria-U.S kills 175 ISIS terrorists in fresh strikes – DHQ

The operations had also led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain insurgent activities.

Published

on

By

40 Views

•Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen Samaila Uba

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has announced that no fewer than 175 ISIS terrorists were killed on Tuesday in ongoing joint counterterrorism operations conducted by Nigerian troops and the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) in Northeast Nigeria.

The military high command said that the coordinated operations, which commenced a few days ago, have continued to record significant successes against ISIS and ISWAP elements operating in the region.

This was contained in a statement issued by the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen Samaila Uba.

According to the DHQ, the latest assessment as of May 19, 2026, showed that 175 ISIS militants had been eliminated from the battlefield through sustained ground and air assaults.

The statement noted that the operations had also led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain insurgent activities.

Continue Reading

News

US Nigeria military eliminate more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in latest airstrike

Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.

Published

on

By

56 Views

• US President Donald Trump

The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) said Monday the U.S. and Nigerian forces carried out further strikes on ISIS targets on May 17, 2026 and eliminated more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in Nigeria’s North-East region.

In a statement posted on its official X handle on Monday, the combatant command said that the latest operation comes three days after had eliminated a senior ISIS commander and one of the world’s most wanted terrorists, Abu Bilal al-Minuki, during an operation conducted on Friday.

The statement reads:“On May 17, 2026, U.S. Africa Command, in coordination with the Government of Nigeria, conducted additional kinetic strikes against ISIS in Northeastern Nigeria.

“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed.

“The removal of these terrorists diminishes the group’s capacity to plan attacks that threaten the safety and security of the U.S. and our partners.”

AFRICOM added that it remains committed to deploying specialised U.S. capabilities in support of partner nations to counter shared security threats and degrade terrorist networks operating across the region.

The Director Defence Information (DDI), Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba, added that the multiple air strikes followed observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation.

Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.

“There will be no haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria” the statement said.

Continue Reading

Trending