News
JUST IN – DSS releases Ladi Adebutu after hours of detention
The detained former governorship candidate of the Ogun State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, Ladi Adebutu regained his freedom early Tuesday morning after being invited and quizzed by the Department of State Services.
His release was confirmed by his media aide, Afolabi Orekoya.
Adebutu’s release followed confirmation of his arrest by the Publicity Secretary of the Ogun state chapter of PDP, Kayode Adebayo, by the Ogun state command of the DSS in Abeokuta, the state capital on Monday.
Adebutu was the governorship candidate of the PDP in Ogun State in 2023.
It was reported that he was invited for questioning in an alleged connection with a disturbance during the local government elections held last Saturday.
The statement read, “This is to inform the members of our great party, The Peoples Democratic Party that the leader of the party has truly been detained by the DSS for charges yet unknown,” he said
“However, our principal has called for calm and directed that all members of the party, supporters and well-wishers should be rest assured that this time shall pass, it is one of the prices for our democracy”
“Several efforts have been made to secure his bail as of 10pm on Monday, 18th November, 2024 either on personal recognition or by a surety but none has yielded any result so far; his lawyers have been informed and they will take it up by tomorrow (Tuesday) morning”
“By this release, we want our people and the general public to be duly informed about his whereabouts and to maintain calm and peace until this matter is resolved.”
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
News
Nigerian Law school student dies after falling from hostel rooftop
The deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
•Faith Alayande
A Nigerian Law School student identified as Faith Alayande, is dead after she fell from the rooftop at Lagos campus.
In a statement on Monday, Aderonke Osho, secretary to the council and director of administration, said that the deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
Osho said preliminary findings revealed that the student died from injuries sustained after falling from the rooftop of the campus hostel around 4am on Friday.
The Nigerian Law School is deeply saddened by this tragic development.
“Management is working closely with the appropriate authorities and the family to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, ensure that all necessary procedures are duly followed, and provide further information as appropriate.”
News
Ekwulobia Suspends New Yam Festival for Kidnap Billionaire Son
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
• Joseph Ezeokafor
Ekwulobia community in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State has cancelled its New Yam festival celebration billed for September 4, 2026.
Ohibaba.com learned that this is because of the kidnap of billionaire businessman and owner of Jezco Group of Companies, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor.
Ezeokafor was kidnapped in Awka on Tuesday last week when he stepped out of his house without his security details to attend to his spiritual need, where he goes to offer prays.
Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga who confirmed the development said that serious operation is currently ongoing to save the elder statesman.
His kidnap has sent his community into mourning, causing the postponement of the new Yam festival, an annual festival which holds on a static date every year.
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
“The Igwe said the community of Ekwulobia cannot celebrate while their son remains in the custody of the kidnappers,” the source said.
-
Politics3 days agoOsun Election: President Tinubu mobilises Voters “Go Out to Vote Candidate of Your Choice on Saturday Without Fear
-
Politics3 days agoThe Top Three Gladiators Locking Horns For Osun Governorship
-
Politics3 days agoAccord says Imumolen has no electoral value
-
Business3 days agoNaira Exchange Rates Friday, August 14
-
Politics3 days agoOsun governorship election will be transparent, says INEC
-
News3 days agoNMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
-
Sports3 days agoCommittees hit the ground running for 8th Kwara State Sports Festival
-
Politics1 day ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
