Crime
How Ajayi Crowther University Student Was Beaten To Death Over Alleged Phone Theft
A student of Ajayi Crowther University (ACU), Oyo, has been beaten to death by some of his colleagues for allegedly stealing a mobile phone belonging to one of them.
A source within the institution told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday that the students started beating their colleague at around 10 p.m. on Friday after discovering that he was the one who stole a phone.
The source, who pleaded anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on behalf of the university, said that aside stealing the phone, the student was also said to have transferred a certain amount from the phone to another account.
Some short video clips sighted by a NAN correspondent showed a male student beating his colleague who was seen rolling on the floor, while another was heard shouting ‘harder, harder’, indicating that he should beat him the more.
The source said that the students were enraged by the theft of the phone and the transfer of the money from the account of the owner.
The source further stated that the deceased was thrown out of the hostel on Friday evening, where he was discovered to have died early on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the school authorities have announced the expulsion of the students said to have been involved in what they called the ‘fight that led to the death of a fellow student’.
The institution, in a statement issued by its Public Relations Officer, Mr Femi Atoyebi, on Saturday evening, however, denied the reports making the rounds that those involved in the killing were members of a secret cult.
“Contrary to what is trending, the university affirms that there is no cultism in the institution, just as the university has zero tolerance for any sort of anti-societal vices and misconduct.
“It is important to stress that the expelled students do not belong to any cult group,” he said.
Atoyebi said what actually happened was that the deceased was alleged to have stolen a mobile telephone.
He, however, said that instead of reporting the matter to the university management, the expelled students could not control their emotions, adding that their actions led to the unfortunate death of the student.
The spokesperson said that the institution reacted swiftly by handing over all the students involved to the police for investigation, assuring all that justice would be served.
“The university remains steadfast in its commitment to ensuring a safe, conducive, peaceful and godly atmosphere for learning,” he said.
Crime
Court Adjourns Malami, Son’s Trial to Feb 27 Over FCT Public Holiday
The Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the ongoing trial of former Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), and his son, Abdulaziz Malami, to February 27, 2026.
The adjournment was announced on Friday by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik during proceedings in the case instituted by the Department of State Services (DSS), also known as the State Security Service.
The case, which involves allegations including terrorism financing and unlawful possession of firearms, could not proceed as scheduled due to a public holiday declared by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike. The holiday was proclaimed ahead of the scheduled area council elections in the FCT set for the following day.
Following the declaration, the court ordered that the defendants remain remanded in the custody of the DSS pending the next hearing date.
Malami and his son had earlier pleaded not guilty to the five-count charge when they were arraigned before the same judge. The matter had previously been adjourned to February 20 for consideration of bail applications and the potential commencement of trial.
This development marks another delay in the high-profile legal proceedings against the former chief law officer of Nigeria and his son. The case continues to draw significant public attention amid broader anti-corruption and security-related probes in the country.
The court is expected to reconvene on February 27 for further proceedings.
Crime
BREAKING: Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe Arrested in Johannesburg After Alleged Shooting at Home
Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of the late former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, has been arrested following a shooting incident at his residence in the upscale Hyde Park suburb.
According to reports from South African media outlets including eNCA and IOL, as well as Gauteng police investigations, an employee—described variably as a security guard or gardener—was shot during an apparent dispute at the property.
The victim is in critical condition and receiving medical treatment.Police responded to the scene, where Mugabe was reportedly taken into custody in connection with the shooting.
Some unconfirmed social media accounts and early reports mentioned police negotiators attending amid claims the suspect had barricaded himself, but he was subsequently arrested.
This marks the latest in a series of legal troubles for Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, who has previously faced charges related to assault in Zimbabwe, including incidents involving security personnel and law enforcement.
The investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS) is ongoing, with more details expected as the case develops. Authorities have not yet released an official statement on charges or motives.
The incident has drawn significant attention online and in regional media, given the family’s prominent political legacy.
Crime
BREAKING: ICPC Confirms Nasir El-Rufai in Its Custody, Not DSS
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has officially confirmed that former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai is currently in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.
In a statement issued late Wednesday by the commission’s Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey, the ICPC stated: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State, is in our custody as at close of work today, Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.
“The confirmation comes amid earlier widespread reports suggesting that El-Rufai had been taken into custody by the Department of State Services (DSS) following his release on administrative bail by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) around 8 p.m. on Wednesday.
Witnesses and initial sources indicated that operatives from another security agency—widely reported as the DSS—were waiting at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja and immediately detained him upon his release after two nights in EFCC custody.
However, the ICPC’s statement clarifies that El-Rufai is now under its authority, addressing the confusion in initial media accounts that attributed his latest detention to the DSS.
Details of the specific allegations under ICPC investigation were not disclosed in the statement, though El-Rufai’s earlier EFCC questioning reportedly related to financial matters during his tenure as governor from 2015 to 2023, including probes linked to substantial state funds.
The sequence of events began on Monday when El-Rufai honored an EFCC invitation over alleged corruption, leading to his detention for questioning. After being granted bail on Wednesday evening, the rapid transfer to another agency has sparked fresh developments in what appears to be a multi-agency scrutiny of the former governor.
Further details on the handover process—whether involving the DSS or direct ICPC action—remain unclear, as the ICPC has not elaborated beyond confirming custody. El-Rufai, a prominent political figure and former ally of President Bola Tinubu, has faced multiple probes in recent months.
-
News2 days agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
News2 days agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
Politics2 days agoRivers lawmakers halt impeachment of Fubara and Odu, following Tinubu’s interventions
-
Business2 days agoNAFDAC Seals 18 Warehouses Over Expired Products in Niger State
-
Politics2 days agoAbuja Area Council Elections Hold Tomorrow
-
News2 days agoSenator Mpigi Dies at 64
-
International2 days agoTrump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
-
Sports3 days agoSanwo-Olu Tasks Lagos Sports Trust Fund Board To Look Beyond State’s Funding
