Crime
Ghana Court Jails Three Nigerians 96 years for Car Thefts
All three convicts : Francis Friday, Linus Agwazie, and Russell Ekenze, are currently serving their sentences at the Kumasi Central Prison.
Three Nigerians – Francis Friday, Linus Agwazie, and Russell Ekenze, have been sentenced to a combined jail term of 96 years for their involvement in car theft within the Kumasi Metropolis in Ghana.
Ohibaba.com learned that a statement signed by the Head of the Public Affairs Unit of the Ashanti Regional Police, Godwin Ahianyo, and obtained on Tuesday, said that the Atasemanso Circuit Court sitting in Ghana delivered the sentence.
This is coming amidst a recent protest by Ghanaians over the involvement of Nigerians in alleged criminal activities.
According to Ahianyo, the trio were arrested on June 20 following suspicions that they were involved in targeting and stealing parked vehicles.
The trio were subsequently arraigned before the circuit court on July 22, but only Ekenze pleaded guilty to the charges pressed against him.
Ahianyo stated, “On July 22, 2025, the suspects Francis Friday, Linus Agwazie, and Russell Ekenze were arraigned before the Atasemanso Circuit Court.“
During proceedings, Russell Ekenze pleaded guilty to the charges and was immediately convicted and sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment in hard labour. The other two suspects, Francis Friday and Linus Agwazie, pleaded not guilty.
“Subsequently, on July 23, 2025, the cases of Francis Friday and Linus Agwazie were heard at Circuit Court 3, where both were found guilty and each was sentenced to 8 years’ imprisonment on two counts, with the sentences to run concurrently.
”He added that the three suspects were further arraigned on additional charges in another court and were each sentenced to 20 years.
“On the same day, Circuit Court 1 also heard additional charges against all three suspects, resulting in 20-year IHL sentences each, also on two counts, and to run concurrently.“
Finally, on July 24, 2025, Russell Ekenze was further convicted at Circuit Court 2, receiving an additional 10-year IHL sentence on two counts, to run concurrently with his existing sentence.
“All three convicts, Francis Friday, Linus Agwazie, and Russell Ekenze, are currently serving their sentences at the Kumasi Central Prison,” the statement read.
Crime
BREAKING: 24 Bandits Killed as Security Forces Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina
At least 24 bandits were killed on Tuesday after Nigerian Army soldiers, Department of State Services (DSS) operatives and members of the Katsina Community Watch Corps foiled a planned mass abduction in Gidan Bawa village, Kandarawa Ward, Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State.
According to a security source, the operation was launched following sustained intelligence that about 40 gunmen loyal to notorious bandit kingpin Isiya Kwashen Garwa planned to invade the community and abduct residents, particularly women and children. The plot was reportedly intended to mirror the recent mass abduction of residents in Woro community, Kwara State, in a bid to embarrass the government.
Acting on the tip-off, DSS operatives mobilised the Community Watch Corps and the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) from Guga camp. The joint team ambushed the bandits as they moved to carry out the attack.
The source said the operatives neutralised 24 of the gunmen and rescued villagers who had already been abducted. Nineteen stolen cattle were also recovered during the raid.
Efforts are ongoing to track down the remaining bandits who fled the scene.
Crime
NDLEA destroys illicit drugs valued at N301bn in Lagos
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) on Monday publicly destroyed 329,865.585 kilograms of assorted illicit drugs with an estimated street value of N301,058,076,000 in a court-ordered exercise in Lagos.
The destruction, carried out at Navy Town in Ojo pursuant to orders of the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, covered uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. Of the total, 246,864.535 kg were seized by the Lagos Strategic Command between April 2025 and May 2026, while 83,001.05 kg came from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit, all operating in Lagos.
The consignment included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, various strains of cannabis (including Canadian Loud and skunk), ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup and other opioids, as well as khat leaf.
NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive Officer Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (rtd) described the exercise as a bold demonstration of Nigeria’s resolve to protect its people and deny criminal enterprises the resources they need to thrive.
“Behind every kilogram of narcotics destroyed lies a story of a young life at risk, a family torn apart by addiction, and communities endangered by drug-related crime and impaired driving,” Marwa said. He stressed that illicit drugs weaken the labour force, raise healthcare costs, discourage investment and drain public resources that should go into education, healthcare and infrastructure.
Marwa linked the drug trade to broader security challenges, noting that trafficking helps fund organised crime, terrorism and violent extremism. He thanked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for strategic support, and acknowledged partnership with the judiciary, Lagos State Government, the military, sister security agencies, international partners, civil society, traditional institutions, the media and the public.
Issuing a stern warning to drug barons, traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers, Marwa declared: “Wherever you hide, whoever sponsors you and however sophisticated your network may be, the long arm of the law will reach you.” He vowed that the agency remains resolute in dismantling every criminal network and its financial spine, and called on parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders, and the media to join the fight.
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by Secretary to the State Government Mrs Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, said the scale of the destruction — about 300 tons — was both a sobering reminder of the threat illicit drugs pose and a testament to what is possible when law enforcement, the judiciary and government work together.
“Lagos State is unwavering in its resolve to confront drug abuse and trafficking, and we will not relent,” the governor’s representative stated.
Comptroller-General of Customs Bashir Adewale Adeniyi said the NDLEA deserved the accolades it has received, noting that the haul from seaports, airports and land borders sent a strong message that drug dealers are no longer welcome in Nigeria. He linked the drug trade to the funding of bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents and terrorists, describing narcotics as the “oxygen” of violent non-state actors.
Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, assured continued naval support for NDLEA-coordinated drug control efforts.
Crime
SITREP: Rival Cult Groups Clash on Freedom Way Near the Dome, Sparking Chaos
An ongoing fracas allegedly involving rival cult groups has erupted on Freedom Way near the Dome, at Lekki Phase 1 Lagos, with reports of widespread mayhem.
Motorists have abandoned their vehicles on the road and fled the area as the confrontation intensifies.
A minimal police presence is on site attempting to restore order.
Authorities and local sources advise residents to avoid the area if possible and delay non-essential travel until the situation stabilizes.
Fleeing individuals from the groups have also been using a bush path at the end of the driveway leading onto Freedom Way, prompting calls for heightened security awareness when exiting nearby lanes.
Residents are urged to remain cautious until the disturbance fully subsides.
-
Business2 days agoCBN’s Sidi-Ali wins 2026 overall Spokesperson of the Year Award, courtesy of NSA
-
News3 days ago200 Kaduna varsity lecturers resign over poor condition of service
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Tinubu Diverts EFCC Funds to NELFUND
-
Politics2 days ago2Baba’s wife Natasha emerges Edo Assembly Minority Leader
-
Sports2 days agoNFF Sacks Madugu over WAFCON crashed out
-
International2 days agoTrump Annex Strait of Hormuz “New US Territory”
-
Business2 days agoNaira Exchange Rates Tuesday,18 August
-
Politics2 days agoBayelsa Assembly Approves Removal Of Sagbama Council Chairman, Vice
