Connect with us

Business

Fuel Queues To Disappear If Marketers Patronise Us, Says Dangote

Published

on

355 Views

President and Chief Executive of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, on Tuesday shed more light on how to end the reoccurring issue of fuel queues in the country.

Dangote, who briefed State House reporters in Abuja, urged the Nigeria National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) and marketers across the country to stop the importation of fuel.

He expressed optimism that his refinery is the solution to the lingering fuel queues across the nation.

“What I estimated as our daily consumption is about 30-32 million litters, that one we can even start producing by next week.

That is not really an issue because as we speak today, we have 500 million litres in our tanks.

With that even if there is no production anywhere or no import, that will take the country more than 12 days,” Dangote said.

“We are very ready, we are more than ready and I am also putting my name on the line that we will be able to supply the market 30 million per day and we are ramping up, so we are ready.

“So I am expecting that the NNPCL and the marketers should stop importing, they should come and collect what they need. I don’t know if you understand what it means to keep half of billion litres in our tanks, it is costing me money.

Every day if I am to collect money I can charge 32 per cent in interest.

That is what I am losing, If they come and collect then you will not see any queue in the filling stations.”

This came barely four weeks after the federal government began implementing a policy to sell crude oil to the Dangote Refinery in naira rather than United States dollars.

The federal government said the move would stabilize fuel prices domestically and strengthen Nigeria’s currency by cutting down on the need for dollars in crude oil transactions.

Business

ALTON Confirms Banks cleared N300bn USSD debts

The debt problem that had lingered for over four years was resolved through the intervention of the NCC under the leadership of its Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Aminu Maida.

Published

on

By

17 Views

The Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) has confirmed that Deposits Money Banks (DMBs) have paid the estimated N300 billion debts they owed telecom operators for Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) services.

ALTON Chairman, Engr. Gbenga Adebayo disclosed this yesterday during the group’s official visit to the Board Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Idris Olorunnimbe in Lagos.

According to Adebayo, paying off the debt brought to a close years of accusations and counter-accusations between the banks and telecom operators.

Adebayo said that the debt problem that had lingered for over four years was resolved through the intervention of the NCC under the leadership of its Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Aminu Maida.

While commending the leadership of the NCC for their recent interventions including the approval of 50 percent end user tariff adjustment last year, Adebayo said the Commission has steered the ship of the sector through one of its most delicate periods.

“When Dr. Maida assumed office, he inherited significant industry challenges. One of the most difficult was the USSD debt crisis — a debt burden that grew over four years to nearly N300 billion. It had become a systemic risk to our sector and the digital financial ecosystem.

“Through firm leadership, structured engagement, and decisive coordination, Dr. Maida and his team resolved this issue.

“Today, there is no outstanding USSD debt. The ecosystem has fully migrated to end-user billing. What was once a looming crisis has been converted into a sustainable framework,” Adebayo stated.

Continue Reading

Business

FAAN stops cash collection at airports nationwide

Beyond compliance with government policy, the MD/CE highlighted the enormous benefits of a cashless system to the aviation ecosystem, including reduction in leakages, improved transaction traceability, faster service delivery, and enhanced public confidence in airport operations.

Published

on

By

21 Views

FAAN MD, Mrs Olubunmi Kuku

Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) will stop collecting cash across all airport payment points nationwide, effective February 28, 2026.

FAAN Managing Director, Mrs. Olubunmi Kuku, stated this during a visit by executives and members of the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), who sought clarification on the decision to discontinue cash transactions at airports.

In her address, the MD/CE emphasised that the transition to a cashless system is not only in line with global best practices in aviation management but also consistent with Federal Government’s directives aimed at enhancing transparency, accountability, and operational efficiency.

She referenced a Treasury Circular dated November 24, 2025, issued by the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation and signed by the Accountant-General, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi, mandating the cessation of cash transactions in all government dealings.

The directive followed approval by the Federal Executive Council for Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to discontinue physical cash collections and payments as part of broader public finance reforms

“There is no going back on this decision,” she said, stressing that the cashless initiative aligns FAAN with national financial management reforms while positioning Nigeria’s airports for greater operational integrity, improved service delivery, and stronger revenue assurance.

Beyond compliance with government policy, the MD/CE highlighted the enormous benefits of a cashless system to the aviation ecosystem, including reduction in leakages, improved transaction traceability, faster service delivery, and enhanced public confidence in airport operations.

Continue Reading

Business

CBN’s Cardoso Advocates cross-border payments reform at G-24 meeting

“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”

Published

on

By

24 Views

Olayemi Cardoso, governor, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has called for reforming cross-border payments system , asserting that its too inefficient to support inclusive growth in developing economies.

Cardoso made the call on Thursday during the G-24 Technical Group Meetings in Abuja, warning that high costs and settlement delays are shutting millions out of global trade and finance.

” It is not merely a technical upgrade but a macroeconomic priority, as the channels through which capital, remittances and trade flow increasingly shape financial stability”,said Cardoso.

He emphasised that payment systems now sit at the heart of global economic integration and financial stability, but remain structurally biased against emerging and developing markets.

“Today, cross-border payments remain too slow, too costly, and too fragmented, especially for developing economies,” Cardoso said.

“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”

Continue Reading

Trending