Connect with us

News

FG Approves U.S airstrikes on Terrorists , says foreign minister Tuggar

Tuggar said the strikes had been planned “for quite some time” using intelligence provided by Nigeria. He also did not rule out further strikes.

Published

on

419 Views

• President Donald Trump and President Bola Tinubu

The Nigeria government has confirmed that the US bombing of terrorists camps linked to the Islamic State group (IS) in north-western Nigeria, was a joint operation with the Nigerian army.

On Thursday Christmas night, camps run by the Lakurawa terrorists group in Sokoto state were hit near the border with Niger, the US military said.

Nigerian Foreign Minister Yusuf Maitama Tuggar told the BBC that it was a “joint operation” and had “nothing to do with a particular religion”.

Tuggar said the strikes had been planned “for quite some time” using intelligence provided by Nigeria. He also did not rule out further strikes.

Referencing the timing of strikes – which took place late on Thursday – he said they did not have “anything to do with Christmas”.

The US military said an “initial assessment” suggested “multiple” fatalities in Sokoto state.

A local official in the Tangaza area of Sokoto state, Isa Salihu Bashir, told the BBC the strikes had “hit some Lakurawa terrorist camps”. He said many fighters had been killed but the death toll was unclear

US President Donald Trump said the Christmas Day strikes had been “deadly” and labelled the group “terrorist scum”, saying they had been “targeting and viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

200 Kaduna varsity lecturers resign over poor condition of service

Most of the lecturers who left the institution secured appointments in newer universities within and outside Kaduna State.

Published

on

By

21 Views

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has raised concern over the departure of more than 200 lecturers of Kaduna State University, (KASU).

Chairman of ASUU-KASU, Dr Abubakar Abdullahi, disclosed this at a press conference on Monday in Kaduna, lamenting that lecturers, including professors, left the institution due to poor conditions of service and non-implementation of the 2025 Federal Government- ASUU Agreement.

Abdullahi said that most of the lecturers who left the institution secured appointments in newer universities within and outside Kaduna State.

Consequently, the Union has issued a two-week ultimatum to the Kaduna State Government and university authorities to implement and domesticate the agreement.

The union warned that failure to act within the period could result in a total and indefinite strike at the university.

Continue Reading

News

Edo House of Assembly Elect New Speaker Idiaye, Hints Why Agbebaku Resign

“Once the leadership is poor, it will drag the work of the governor backwards. So we decided to say no.”

Published

on

By

19 Views

The new Speaker of the Edo House of Assembly, Mr Yekini Idiaye

The Edo House of Assembly has sworn in a newly elected Speaker , Yekini Idiaye, following the resignation of the former speaker, Blessing Agbebaku.

Speaking in an interview after his swearing-in ceremony in Benin, Idiaye pledged the full cooperation of the house to the state executive, describing Governor Monday Okpebholo as a performing leader who deserved legislative backings.

“He is doing a lot for the people of Edo, so we have to cooperate with him to move the state forward,” he added.

Fielding question on the exit of the former speaker, Idiaye cited the challenges of corruption and poor leadership.

Idiaye said: ” There’s corruption here and there. Every now and then it is adjournment — we resume tomorrow, adjournment for another 30 days, 20 days — and we were all not too happy with this leadership style.”

The new speaker pointed out that a weak legislature directly affected the executive, adding that the house had to act to protect the governor’s performance.

“Once the leadership is poor, it will drag the work of the governor backwards. So we decided to say no.”

Continue Reading

News

Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.

Published

on

By

17 Views

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.

He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”

Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.

Continue Reading

Trending