Connect with us

News

Femi Falana gives FG two-week ultimatum to compensate victims of military airstrike mishaps

Published

on

226 Views

A human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, SAN, has given a two-week ultimatum to the Federal Government to compensate victims of military airstrikes in the past seven years or face legal action.

The senior lawyer gave this warning in a statement on Sunday, adding that the government will be sued before a Federal High Court if the demand is not met.

Over 300 civilians, including children and women, have died in accidental bombings by the Nigerian military in the past few years.

There was an erroneous drone bombing in Tudun Biri, Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State last week, leading to an outcry across the country.

At least 120 innocent residents who were celebrating an Islamic festival were killed in the deadly attack.

And following the sad incident, all the 109 senators of the Federal Republic of Nigeria donated their December salaries to the victims of the bombing.

The Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau I. Jibrin, made the announcement on Sunday at the Kaduna State Government House when he led a high-power delegation of the Senate to the state.

Reacting to the incident, Falana, who is the chairman of Alliance on Surviving COVID-19 and Beyond (ASCAB), said there has been no justice for victims of these bombings across the years.

Falana said after the Rann bombing of January 2017, the government set up a commission “mandated to review extant rules of engagement applicable in the armed forces of Nigeria as well as the extent of compliance with the rules. Part of the mandate of the commission was to also prefer means of preventing violations of international humanitarian and human rights law”.

The senior lawyer wondered why the FG has neither published the report nor implemented the recommendations of the commission headed by Justice Biobell Georgewill of the court of appeal.

News

UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)

Published

on

11 Views

ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.

The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.

Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.

“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.

“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.

The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.

“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.

Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.

“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.

She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.

“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.

Continue Reading

News

Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Published

on

By

14 Views

Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun

Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.

News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.

Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

Published

on

By

33 Views

•Kehinde Jacob Faledon

Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.

Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.

“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.

Continue Reading

Trending