Sports
Ex-Spain Football Boss In Court Over World Cup Kiss Scandal
Five days after resigning as Spain’s football chief, Luis Rubiales is due in court Friday on sexual assault charges over forcibly kissing women’s World Cup player Jenni Hermoso.
The 46-year-old has been summoned to Madrid’s Audiencia Nacional court at midday (1000 GMT) where he will appear before Judge Francisco de Jorge who is heading up the investigation.
At the hearing, which will be closed to the public, Rubiales will be questioned as a defendant in regards to allegations of “sexual assault”, a court statement said earlier this week.
Hermoso will also be called to testify at a later date.
The case comes barely four weeks after Rubiales sparked outrage when he forcibly kissed the midfielder in front of the world’s media after Spain defeated England in the final on August 20.
Rubiales, who was head of Spain’s RFEF football federation at the time, has repeatedly insisted the kiss was consensual.
Hermoso has said it was not and that it left her feeling like the “victim of an assault”.
De Jorge on Monday admitted a complaint against Rubiales filed the previous week by the public prosecutors’ office, citing alleged “offences of sexual assault” and “coercion”.
Under a recent reform of the Spanish penal code, a non-consensual kiss can be considered sexual assault, a category which groups all types of sexual violence.
If found guilty, Rubiales could face anything from a fine to four years in prison, sources at the public prosecutors’ office have said.
In their complaint, prosecutors said they had included the offence of coercion because of Hermoso’s statement in which she said “she and those close to her had suffered constant ongoing pressure by Luis Rubiales and his professional entourage to justify and condone” his actions.
The global furore over the incident all but eclipsed the victory celebrations for Spain’s World Cup champions.
‘100% Non Sexual’
After three weeks of refusing to resign over the kiss, Rubiales, who was suspended by FIFA on August 26, stood down late on Sunday but continued to insist the kiss was consensual in a TV interview with Britain’s Piers Morgan.
“What we had is a spontaneous act, a mutual act, an act that both consented to, which was driven by the emotion of the moment,” he said, describing the kiss as “100 percent non-sexual”.
The hearing comes with new coach Montse Tome, the first woman to lead the team, set to announce her squad on Friday for UEFA Women’s Nations League matches against Sweden and Switzerland on 22 and 26 September.
Her first job will be to try and convince the 23 world champions to don the red jersey again after they and dozens of others said they would not play for the national team without significant changes at the head of the federation.
The players have not yet said what they will do following Rubiales’ resignation although the situation has changed since the RFEF sacked their controversial coach Jorge Vilda, named Tome in his stead and pledged further internal reforms.
“We have had discussions.. I don’t think there will be any problem,” Rafael del Amo, head of the RFEF’s women’s football committee told Cope radio on Tuesday.
“I think things will move forward.”
AFP
Sports
Sanwo-Olu Tasks Lagos Sports Trust Fund Board To Look Beyond State’s Funding
The Lagos State Government is spending heavily on sports, but it is never enough in a megacity of over 20 million people.
• Photo : Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Wednesday inaugurated the Lagos State Sports Trust Fund board at Lagos House, Marina.
The board is chaired by Enitan Oshodi, with Olaposi Agunbiade as Executive Secretary and Chief Executive Officer. Other members include Olabode Agoro, Adeniyi Adekoya, Gbolahan Onibuje, Jubril Gawat, Kikelomo Bolarinwa, Olayemi Sarumi, Lekan Fatodu, Moshood Ajide, and Ibrahim Adigun.
Sanwo-Olu tasks the board with leveraging members’ networks and expertise to build institutions supporting sports development for present and future generations.
The mandate is straightforward. Use your contacts, skills, and professional background to help fund sports and establish robust institutions in Lagos State,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu urged priority for grassroots programmes and rehabilitation of facilities, noting several government-funded projects required completion and improvement.
I implore you to deploy resources in grassroots and school sports that encourage growth across our divisions,” he added.
The governor said that the trust fund would bridge government and private sector participation in sports development.
“Organisations are willing to support, but reluctant to approach the government directly”, he said.
The board chairman, Oshodi said that the board would create sustainable funding pathways for infrastructure and athlete development.
“The Lagos State Government is spending heavily on sports, but it is never enough in a megacity of over 20 million people.
“We need facilities to support athletes. While the government is trying, the private sector must play a major role,” he said.
Sports
Mexico invests in robotic dogs for 2026 World Cup
The 2026 FIFA World Cup will run from June 11 to July 19 across Mexico, the United States, and Canada, with Monterrey among the host cities.
Photo: Robotic dogs
Mexican authorities have introduced robotic dogs to support police operations during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, highlighting the growing convergence of football, technology, and security investment.
The local council in Guadalupe, part of the Monterrey metropolitan area, invested approximately $145,000 in the robotic units as part of its World Cup security preparations.
The 2026 FIFA World Cup will run from June 11 to July 19 across Mexico, the United States, and Canada, with Monterrey among the host cities.
A demonstration video released by the municipality shows one of the robots navigating an abandoned building, climbing stairs and transmitting live footage to officers positioned behind it
In a simulated scenario, the robot confronted an armed suspect and issued instructions via loudspeaker for him to drop his weapon.
Sports
2026 Lagos City Marathon on Saturday
The 42-kilometre race will commence at Ahmadu Bello Way by MRS Filling Station and proceed through the entire Coastal Road, which serves as the finishing point.
The Lagos State Government has announced traffic diversion plan ahead of the 2026 Lagos City Marathon scheduled for Saturday, February 14.
The government said that the diversion became necessary to ensure smooth conduct of the annual sporting event and to minimise disruption to movement across major routes in the state.
In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Transportation, Oluwaseun Osiyemi, said the marathon will feature two races, 42 kilometres and 10 kilometres, which will run simultaneously across designated routes.
He explained that the 42-kilometre race will commence at Ahmadu Bello Way by MRS Filling Station and proceed through the entire Coastal Road, which serves as the finishing point.
He added that the 10-kilometre race will begin at Durosimi Etti in Lekki Phase 1, passing through Ozumba Mbadiwe, Bishop Oluwole, Akin Adesola and terminate at Sanusi Fafunwa.
-
News3 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News3 days agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Business1 day agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
News6 hours agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Health2 days agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
-
Politics2 days agoPolitical thugs invades Ondo APC ward congress , beats chairman
-
Business2 days agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Politics1 day agoAgain, Violence Erupts at Ondo APC Congress in Idanre
