Sports
Christian Chukwu’s Green Eagles teammate Charles Bassey dies at 71
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has announced the passing of Charles Bassey, a member of the historic Green Eagles squad that clinched Nigeria’s first-ever Africa Cup of Nations title in 1980.
According to reports, Bassey died on Saturday, April 12, 2025, at the age of 71, following a prolonged illness.
The former forward, who hailed from Eket in Akwa Ibom State, died in his hometown just hours after the death of the team’s iconic captain, Christian Chukwu, was confirmed in Enugu—marking a double tragedy for Nigerian football.
Expressing its grief, the NFF said it was “deeply saddened” by the news of Bassey’s passing, paying tribute to his contributions to Nigerian football both as a player and a coach.
“This has been a day of double tragedy, and the NFF and the entire Nigeria football fraternity are deeply saddened by the turn of events.
We lost ‘Chairman’ Chukwu earlier in the day; now, we have to mourn Charles Bassey. May God Almighty grant their souls eternal rest,” NFF General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, said.
Charles Bassey was part of the 22-man Green Eagles squad that famously defeated Algeria 3-0 at the National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos, on March 22, 1980, securing Nigeria’s first AFCON title.
After his playing career, Bassey ventured into coaching, handling various clubs across the country.
His coaching journey included stints with Wikki Tourists of Bauchi, Calabar Rovers, BCC Lions of Gboko, Flash Flamingoes of Benin, and his local team, Mobil Pegasus.
With Bassey’s passing, the number of deceased members from the 1980 AFCON-winning squad has now risen to nine.
Others who have passed on include goalkeepers Best Ogedegbe and Moses Effiong; defenders Christian Chukwu, Okechukwu Isima, and Tunde Bamidele; midfielders Aloysius Atugbu and Mudashiru Lawal; and striker Martins Eyo.
Sports
FIFA commits $75m to rebuild war-damaged football facilities in Gaza
According to FIFA, the initiative includes plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of mini-pitches across Gaza.
The world football governing body, FIFA, has announced plans to mobilise $75 million to rebuild football facilities in Gaza destroyed during the war between Israel and Hamas.
The announcement was made on Thursday during the inaugural meeting of the “Board of Peace,” convened in Washington by U.S. President Donald Trump. FIFA President Gianni Infantino also attended the meeting, which focused primarily on reconstruction efforts in the Gaza Strip.
Trump disclosed that FIFA would help raise “a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza,” noting that the initiative would include football-related investments such as playing fields and high-profile visits by global football stars.
“I’m also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza,” Trump said, adding that the projects would centre on building fields and attracting some of the sport’s biggest names.
According to FIFA, the initiative includes plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of mini-pitches across Gaza.
The first phase will prioritise building small-sided fields within three to six months, while the proposed stadium is expected to take between 18 and 36 months to complete.
FIFA also confirmed plans to help establish youth and amateur leagues as part of the long-term development strategy.
Infantino described the agreement as “a landmark partnership” designed to channel investment into football, supporting recovery efforts in post-conflict areas.
Sports
Sanwo-Olu Tasks Lagos Sports Trust Fund Board To Look Beyond State’s Funding
The Lagos State Government is spending heavily on sports, but it is never enough in a megacity of over 20 million people.
• Photo : Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Wednesday inaugurated the Lagos State Sports Trust Fund board at Lagos House, Marina.
The board is chaired by Enitan Oshodi, with Olaposi Agunbiade as Executive Secretary and Chief Executive Officer. Other members include Olabode Agoro, Adeniyi Adekoya, Gbolahan Onibuje, Jubril Gawat, Kikelomo Bolarinwa, Olayemi Sarumi, Lekan Fatodu, Moshood Ajide, and Ibrahim Adigun.
Sanwo-Olu tasks the board with leveraging members’ networks and expertise to build institutions supporting sports development for present and future generations.
The mandate is straightforward. Use your contacts, skills, and professional background to help fund sports and establish robust institutions in Lagos State,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu urged priority for grassroots programmes and rehabilitation of facilities, noting several government-funded projects required completion and improvement.
I implore you to deploy resources in grassroots and school sports that encourage growth across our divisions,” he added.
The governor said that the trust fund would bridge government and private sector participation in sports development.
“Organisations are willing to support, but reluctant to approach the government directly”, he said.
The board chairman, Oshodi said that the board would create sustainable funding pathways for infrastructure and athlete development.
“The Lagos State Government is spending heavily on sports, but it is never enough in a megacity of over 20 million people.
“We need facilities to support athletes. While the government is trying, the private sector must play a major role,” he said.
Sports
Mexico invests in robotic dogs for 2026 World Cup
The 2026 FIFA World Cup will run from June 11 to July 19 across Mexico, the United States, and Canada, with Monterrey among the host cities.
Photo: Robotic dogs
Mexican authorities have introduced robotic dogs to support police operations during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, highlighting the growing convergence of football, technology, and security investment.
The local council in Guadalupe, part of the Monterrey metropolitan area, invested approximately $145,000 in the robotic units as part of its World Cup security preparations.
The 2026 FIFA World Cup will run from June 11 to July 19 across Mexico, the United States, and Canada, with Monterrey among the host cities.
A demonstration video released by the municipality shows one of the robots navigating an abandoned building, climbing stairs and transmitting live footage to officers positioned behind it
In a simulated scenario, the robot confronted an armed suspect and issued instructions via loudspeaker for him to drop his weapon.
-
News3 days agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
News3 days agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
Politics3 days agoRivers lawmakers halt impeachment of Fubara and Odu, following Tinubu’s interventions
-
Business3 days agoNAFDAC Seals 18 Warehouses Over Expired Products in Niger State
-
Politics2 days agoAbuja Area Council Elections Hold Tomorrow
-
News3 days agoSenator Mpigi Dies at 64
-
International3 days agoTrump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
-
Entertainment3 days agoDonald Trump: I love Nicki Minaj
