Connect with us

Health

Cholera: Death Toll Rises To 21, Suspected Cases Hit 401 In Lagos

Published

on

234 Views

The Special Adviser to the Lagos State Governor on Health, Kemi Ogunyemi, has said that the number of recorded fatalities as a result of the Cholera outbreak in the state has risen to 21 following the last update which reported 350 suspected cases and 15 fatalities. 

She also said the number of cholera cases has increased to 401 across Lagos with Lagos Island, Kosofe, and Eti Osa recording the highest numbers.

Ogunyemi revealed this on Thursday while providing an update on the outbreak after meeting with members of the Lagos State Public Health Emergency Operations Centre (PHEOC).

She added that the death toll has also risen to 21, an increase of six from the previously reported 15 fatalities.

According to her, the rise in cases was anticipated following the Ileya festivities during which large gatherings occurred.

She, however, noted that suspected cases are subsiding across LGAs particularly in previously affected LGAs due to state government interventions and surveillance efforts.

The Special Adviser stated that the Lagos State Government, through the Ministry of Health and other sister agencies, is maintaining rigorous surveillance and monitoring of the situation and implementing planned programs and activities to curb the spread.

“The Ministry of Health, in collaboration with the State Ministry of Environment and its agency, the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), continues to collect samples of water sources, food, and beverages to identify the source of contamination. We have also intensified our surveillance activities in communities, particularly in affected local government areas, to address the situation head-on.

“We are also working with the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education as well as the Ministry of Tertiary Education to ensure all precautions are taken in our schools to protect children and scholars as they return. Residents must, however, remain vigilant, practice good hand hygiene, and participate in community sanitation activities to stop the spread of cholera,” the Special Adviser stated.

She advised that citizens seek medical attention immediately if they experience symptoms such as watery diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain, general malaise, and fever, stressing that cholera treatment is provided free of charge at all public health facilities.

While noting that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu remains committed to ensuring that residents of Lagos receive quality and affordable health care, the special adviser extended the gratitude of the state government to local, national, and international partners—including UNICEF, WHO, NCDC, NIMR, Red Cross, and others —for their support in combating the outbreak.

“Appreciation is also extended to the dedicated team of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, lab scientists, environmental health officers, Water Corporation officers, surveillance officers, heads of agencies, members of PHEOC, and volunteers who are working around the clock to combat the disease and keep Lagos safe,” Ogunyemi said.

Health

Federal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure

Published

on

38 Views

The Federal Ministry of Health has directed the immediate retirement of all directors who have served at least eight years in the directorate cadre, effective from December 31, 2025.

The directive, outlined in a memo signed by Tetshoma Dafeta, Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary, enforces the eight-year tenure policy for directors as stipulated in Section 020909 of the Revised Public Service Rules 2021.

It applies to directors across the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, and parastatals under its supervision.

The move aligns with a broader Federal Government circular from the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, which reiterated the compulsory retirement rule for directors (Grade Level 17 or equivalent) after eight years in the position, as part of efforts to ensure compliance across all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).

The policy has sparked concerns from the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU), which has criticized what it describes as selective implementation of retirement age reviews in the health sector.

JOHESU argues that such policies favor certain cadres over others, potentially undermining equity, teamwork, morale, and overall efficiency in healthcare delivery.

The ministry’s action follows recent government-wide enforcement of tenure limits for senior civil servants, including permanent secretaries. Affected directors are to be disengaged immediately, with institutions required to implement the directive without delay.

Continue Reading

Health

More than 95,000 died of suicide so far in 2026 — WHO

Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.

Published

on

By

82 Views

World Health Organization (WHO) data reported that more than 95,000 people have died by suicide globally since the start of 2026.

According to Worldometer, the figure as of the time of this report, stands at 95, 406 so far in 2026.

The early-year toll highlights the continuing scale of suicide as a major global public health challenge.

WHO estimates show that about 727, 000 people die by suicide every year worldwide, with millions more attempting to take their own lives.

Health experts note that while annual suicide figures are usually released with a reporting delay, real-time counters help illustrate how frequently lives are lost to a largely preventable cause.

Suicide occurs across all regions and age groups, but WHO data indicate that it remains one of the leading causes of death among young people aged 15 to 29, ranking third globally in that age group in 2021.

The impact extends far beyond individuals, leaving long-lasting emotional, social and economic consequences for families, communities and entire nations.

Contrary to common assumptions, suicide is not limited to high-income countries.

WHO reports that nearly three-quarters (73%) of global suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries, where access to mental health care and social support services is often limited.

While suicide is closely linked to mental health conditions such as depression and alcohol use disorders, particularly in high-income countries,WHO notes that many suicides occur impulsively during moments of acute crisis.

These crises may stem from financial stress, relationship conflicts, chronic pain, illness, exposure to violence, displacement, or a profound sense of isolation.

Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.

WHO stresses that suicide is preventable and requires a coordinated public health response rather than isolated interventions.

Evidence-based and often low-cost measures, such as restricting access to lethal means, promoting responsible media reporting, strengthening life skills among adolescents, and ensuring early identification and follow-up care for those at risk, have been shown to save

Continue Reading

Health

WHO: United States membership withdrawal takes effect

Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.

Published

on

By

129 Views

The United States’ withdrawal from the World Health Organisation (WHO) officially took effect on Thursday, exactly one year after President Donald Trump ordered the country to pull out of the global health body.

Under the terms governing WHO membership, a withdrawal becomes effective after a mandatory one-year notice period, which expired on Thursday 22 January, following the executive order signed by Trump shortly after he took office in 2025.

Although the agreement requires the United States to settle all outstanding financial obligations before withdrawal, that condition has not been met. However, the WHO has no legal mechanism to enforce payment or prevent a member state from exiting the organisation.

Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.

“The withdrawal is a loss for the United States and also a loss for the rest of the world,” Tedros said, adding that the organisation remains open to the country’s return.

President Trump had justified the decision by accusing the WHO of mishandling the COVID-19 pandemic, which originated in Wuhan, China, as well as other global health emergencies.

He also cited the organisation’s alleged failure to implement necessary reforms and its inability to operate independently of political influence from member states.

Continue Reading

Trending