News
BVAS Malfunction Disenfranchised Some Eligible Voters In Kogi – Situation Room
As Nigerians await the outcome of the off-cycle elections, a Civil Society Organisation (CSO) has decried the malfunction of the Bimodal Voters Accreditation System (BVAS) machine.
BVAS is the machine used to accredit voters using their Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) and fingerprints or face recognition technology.
On Saturday, November 11, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) conducted governorship elections in Bayelsa, Imo and Kogi States.
Briefing journalists in Abuja, the Convener, Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room, Yunusa Ya’u, said reports indicate that the BVAS functioned optimally in Bayelsa and Kogi States, with a low performance in Imo.
“The Bimodal Voters Accreditation System (BVAS) functioned optimally in most polling units across the three states. However, there were reports of malfunctioning of the machines,” he said.
“In Bayelsa State, there were incidents of malfunctioning in PU003 RA11 in Kolokuma/Opokuma Local Government Area. Similarly, PU008 RA03 in Ekeremor LGA reportedly rejected fingerprints and facial recognition of some eligible voters.
“A number of eligible voters were disenfranchised following incidents of BVAS malfunctioning in PU003 in Idah LGA (of Kogi State).
“The situation room observes a variance in the arrival of election materials and opening of polls in the three states.
“Reports from situation room field observers indicate that the majority, 86 per cent of the polling units observed in Kogi State opened by the official opening time of 8:30 am while in Bayelsa State, 66 per cent of the polling units visited opened by 8:30 am.
“In Imo State, the opening of polls was late in many polling units as reports from our observers show that only 26 per cent of the polling units opened by 8:30 am.”
News
Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun
Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.
News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.
Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
News
Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
•Kehinde Jacob Faledon
Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.
Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.
“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.
“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.
News
British Royal House Confers on Wale Edun “Commander of the Royal Victorian Order”
Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.
The British Royal House has conferred the honour of Commander of the Royal Victorian Order on Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun.
The investiture at Windsor Castle carried a ceremony and symbolism.
Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.
The award places Edun among a select group of global achievers whose public contributions transcend borders.
The ceremony also recognised Lydia Tischler, a Holocaust survivor and child psychotherapist; Rhys McClenaghan for services to gymnastics; and John Whiston for services to broadcasting and television.
Edun’s recognition resonated far beyond the grandeur of Windsor, highlighting the growing international regard for Nigeria’s reform leadership.
A former trustee of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, Edun’s career has long combined global engagement with institution-building.
Those same principles underpin his stewardship of Nigeria’s economy, where confidence, discipline, and consistency have become the defining themes of reform.
Since assuming office, Nigeria has begun to reverse years of macroeconomic fragility.
-
News2 days agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
News3 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News4 hours agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Health2 days agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
-
Politics2 days agoPolitical thugs invades Ondo APC ward congress , beats chairman
-
Business1 day agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
Politics1 day agoAgain, Violence Erupts at Ondo APC Congress in Idanre
-
Business1 day agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
