Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Court grants ex-Gov Bello N500m bail

Published

on

314 Views

…Adjourns to Feb 24 for continuation of hearing.

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Friday, granted the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, bail in the sum of N500 million with two sureties in like sum.

This was after the former governor had pleaded not guilty to the 19-count charges brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

He is facing an alleged money laundering trial to the tune of N80bn but pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

When the case was called for hearing, on Friday, Counsel for the EFCC, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, notified the court of the intention of the Prosecution to withdraw an earlier application for abridgment of the earlier date fixed for arraignment.

He said the application had been overtaken by events. The Defendant’s Counsels, led by Joseph Daudu, SAN, did not object and Justice Emeka Nwite, accordingly granted the request.

After the Defendant had taken his plea, Daudu SAN made clarifications on the reasons he had not been in court during the previous hearings.

“I would like to place on record that for any impression that might have been created that the Defendant did not wish to appear before your lordship, coincidentally, the ruling on my lord’s sitting this morning dealt with the issue of jurisdiction.

“What the Defendant did was to ask his counsel to challenge the jurisdiction of the court, which got to the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.

“So it was not a wishful disrespect but he was only trying to defend himself. So we all hold your lordship in high esteem. If that impression must have been, he should not have presented himself for arraignment.

That episode is gone and things are clearer now,” the Counsel stated. While moving an application for bail, he assured that the former Governor would always be present in court for the trial.

“I am saying this with the highest sense of responsibility that the defendant, a two-term governor of Kogi State, who travelled only two times out of his eight years in service, will always be present in court at all times.

“There should be no apprehension that he will jump bail. So we urge your lordship to grant us very reasonable conditions of bail such that he will be able to bear,” the Defendant’s Counsel said.

He commended the Prosecution Counsel, saying he had conducted himself in the best tradition because the matter was not a do-or-die one.

He said they had agreed that the counsels would not stress his lordship over the issue of bail.

The Prosecution Counsel concurred.Pinheiro, SAN, said, “I must express my honour to the very eminent lead senior counsel. He is a man of immense stature, not because of his size.

“I do respect him as president of NBA. I also confirm that we have been engaging in series of discussion to ease the burden on your lordship in compliance with Rule 26 of Rules of Professional Ethics.

“I also note that your lordship had delivered not less than five rulings in this matter and it is our aim to ease the work.

We are prosecutors not persecutors and EFCC is a professional commission, a prosecutorial and not prosecutorial commission,” he said.

He added, “We accept the assurances of the very eminent SAN that the defendant will make himself available subject to your lordship’s discretionary terms that may be imposed.

“By so doing, we will ease the burden on the court. Therefore, we will not be opposing the eminent SAN’s submission.

“The Prosecution Counsel said though they had filed a counter-affidavit, they would not oppose the bail, going by the assurances of the learned SAN.Ruling on the bail application, Justice Nwite said, “I have listened to the submissions of both counsels.

It is not in dispute that both counsels have filed applications in respect of this.

“Based on the account exhibited by learned counsel for the defendant, which was exhibited and supported by prosecution counsel, I am minded to change my earlier stand on this matter.

“He granted the Defendant N500 million bail with two sureties.

“Sureties must be landed property owners within the jurisdiction of this court. They must swear to affidavit of means. The title deeds of priority to be verified by the court registrar,” he said.

The Defendant was also asked to submit his international passport while he would remain at the Kuje Correctional Centre pending the perfection of the bail conditions.

Recall that the ex-governor was earlier remanded in a fresh N110bn charge by the EFCC, pending his bail application.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

JUST IN: Court Grants Nasir El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged National Security Breach

Published

on

19 Views

The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, in the sum of N100 million with one surety in like sum.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik handed down the ruling on Monday in the case filed by the Department of State Services (DSS), which is prosecuting El-Rufai for alleged breach of national security.

The former governor had publicly admitted on national television to wiretapping the office of the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

While granting the bail application, Justice Abdulmalik imposed stringent conditions for its perfection. The proposed surety must:

  • Reside in either Maitama or Asokoro, Abuja, and deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy of a landed property with the court registry.
  • Be a federal civil servant on Grade Level 17 or above.
  • Submit proof of salary payments for the past three months, supported by an authentication letter from the branch bank manager within the court’s jurisdiction.
  • Swear to an affidavit of means, sign a bail bond, and provide a recent passport photograph.

Additionally, El-Rufai must surrender all his valid passports to the court. The surety is also required to provide a verification letter from his immediate department and a tax clearance certificate for the last six months.

The court further directed El-Rufai to submit a letter of attestation from the Chairman of the Kaduna State Traditional Council.

As part of the bail conditions, the former governor must report to the DSS headquarters on the last Friday of every month by 10 a.m. to sign the attendance register until the determination of the case.

Justice Abdulmalik warned that any violation of these conditions would result in the immediate revocation of the bail. The court also ordered an accelerated hearing of the matter.

Continue Reading

News

Abu-Bilal al-Minuki: Deadly But Harmless Looking – Poison Dart Frog

Positions that used to be dominated by Syrian and Iraqis in the top echelons of the Islamic State leadership are now filled by African veteran jihadists from all over the continent.

Published

on

By

38 Views
  

Abu Bilal al-Mainuki was elevated to the position of head of the Islamic State General Directorate of Provinces, replacing Abdul Qadir Mumin (Somali national) only three months ago in February 2026.

This placed him as the second in charge of the Islamic State global organization right after the Caliph Abu Hafs al-Hashimi.

Positions that used to be dominated by Syrian and Iraqis in the top echelons of the Islamic State leadership are now filled by African veteran jihadists from all over the continent.

Before February 2026, Abu Bilal al-Mainuki was head of the al-Furqan regional office which oversees the Sahelian, Libyan and West African Provinces.

Before that he was second-in-command to Abu Musab al-Barnawi, he was a staunch ally of the latter during the split and war against Shekau’s JAS (Boko Haram) and was a significant pillar in consolidating the gains captured from Shekau following his death and the mass defections from JAS to ISWAP.

Continue Reading

News

Senate Rule Amendment: Debate Should Focus on Institutional Stability, Not Personalities – Eyiboh

Published

on

36 Views

The heated controversy triggered by the recent amendment to the Senate Standing Rules has been dominated by personalities and emotions rather than substantive institutional issues, Rt Hon Eseme Eyiboh has said.

In a strongly worded statement, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Senate President argued that the core question before the Senate is not about Senator Godswill Akpabio or Senator Adams Oshiomhole, but whether Nigeria’s legislature should strengthen itself through rules that promote continuity, competence, and long-term stability.

Eyiboh noted that every serious institution worldwide periodically reviews and updates its rules in response to practical experience. “The refusal to review procedures in the face of experience is often a sign of stagnation, not democracy,” he said.

The amendment, which sets a minimum legislative experience threshold for senators aspiring to presiding and principal offices, should be examined through the lens of institutional development, he added.

The former House of Representatives member emphasised that the Senate Presidency is one of Nigeria’s most sensitive constitutional positions. It demands more than political popularity — it requires deep knowledge of parliamentary procedures, committee systems, constitutional interpretation, negotiation, and intergovernmental relations.

“Experience matters,” Eyiboh stressed.

He acknowledged that critics have valid concerns that experience requirements could entrench incumbents and create a closed oligarchy. However, he maintained that the proper response is not to reject minimum standards, but to set a reasonable bar — such as one full term or proven committee leadership — and commit to periodic review to prevent the rule from becoming a barrier to fresh talent.

“Experience without openness becomes arrogance; openness without experience becomes amateurism,” he said. The amendment, according to him, tilts towards correcting amateurism while safeguarding institutional stability.

Eyiboh dismissed suggestions that the rule change was merely intended to shrink competition or protect personal interests. He argued that institutions grow stronger by learning from experience and refining their processes, not by freezing rules indefinitely.

On calls for Senate President Godswill Akpabio to resign if the new qualification is enforced, Eyiboh described the argument as fundamentally flawed. He pointed out the well-established legal principle that laws and rules apply prospectively, not retroactively.

“Senator Akpabio emerged under the rules in existence at the time. Applying today’s standards to yesterday’s mandate is neither legally sustainable nor institutionally rational,” he said.

The statement urged Nigerians and senators to elevate the discussion above personal rivalries and chamber politics. While affirming Senator Oshiomhole’s right to hold dissenting views, Eyiboh insisted the debate must centre on whether the amendment strengthens the Senate as a durable institution.

“Institutions outlive individuals,” he concluded. “Senate Presidents will come and go. But the rules and traditions we establish today will shape legislative stability for decades to come.”

Rt Hon Eseme Eyiboh, mnipr, is a former Member and Spokesperson of the House of Representatives and currently serves as Special Adviser on Media/Publicity and Official Spokesperson to the President of the Senate.

Continue Reading

Trending