Sports
BREAKING: CAF delists Nigeria, Libya AFCON qualifier amidst controversy
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has officially delisted the Group D second-leg fixture of the ongoing 2025 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Mediterranean Knights of Libya.
The match was originally scheduled to take place in Libya at 8 p.m. following the first leg, which saw the Super Eagles triumph over the Mediterranean Knights with a narrow 1-0 victory at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo on Friday.
The return leg has been mired in controversy, primarily due to the harrowing experience faced by the Super Eagles players and officials, who reported being stranded at the Libya airport for over 14 hours.
The ordeal ultimately led to their decision to return home rather than participate in the scheduled match.
In light of the situation, CAF has launched an investigation into the incident after the Libya Football Federation accused Nigeria of sabotage and threatened legal action.
The African football governing body further updated its schedule for games to be played on Tuesday, notably excluding the Libya versus Nigeria fixture from the list.
Meanwhile, the President of the Libyan Football Federation, Abdelhakim Al-Shalmani, has announced his resignation during a regular meeting of the Federation’s General Assembly.
Al-Shalmani’s resignation comes amid growing tension regarding the treatment of the Nigerian national football team, the Super Eagles, during their recent trip to Libya for a crucial Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier.
Sports
Man Utd permanents Carrick as manager
“Now it’s time to move forward together again, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose. Manchester United and our incredible supporters deserve to be challenging for the biggest honours again,” Carrick said.
“We are delighted to announce Michael Carrick will continue as our head coach, having signed a new contract,” said Manchester United on Friday.
Carrick, the 44-year-old former United player, took charge on an interim basis after Ruben Amorim was sacked in January and led United to Champions League qualification with an impressive third-placed finish in the Premier League.
” From the moment that I arrived here 20 years ago, I felt the magic of Manchester United. Carrying the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride
” Throughout the past five months, this group of players have shown they can reach the standards of resilience, togetherness and determination that we demand here.
“Now it’s time to move forward together again, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose. Manchester United and our incredible supporters deserve to be challenging for the biggest honours again,” Carrick said.
Sports
Breaking: Arsenal Win Premier League For First Time In 22 Years
The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.
Arsenal have won the Premier League for the first time in 22 years with a game to spare after Man City failed to win at Bournemouth.
Arsenal ended their 22-year wait to be crowned Premier League champions on Tuesday after Manchester City were held 1-1 by Bournemouth.
City had to win to take the title fight to the final day, but the Cherries extended their unbeaten streak to 17 league games, a run which has secured European football for the first time in the club’s history.
After finishing second for the past three seasons, Mikel Arteta’s Gunners have finally made it over the line to end a six-year trophy drought.
Arsenal edged to the brink of the title with an unconvincing 1-0 win over already relegated Burnley on Monday, which took them five points clear of City.
The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.
Sports
AFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau
The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.
Nigeria have been drawn in Group L of the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, where they will face Madagascar, co-hosts Tanzania and Guinea- Bissau for a place at the tournament.
Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda will host the tournament from June 19 to July 17, 2027.
The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.
A total of 48 teams will participate in the qualifiers, with the draw producing 12 groups and 24 teams qualifying for the finals.
Nigeria were drawn from Pot 1 and handed a relatively favourable path to the tournament.
However, due to the presence of Tanzania — who have qualified automatically as co-hosts — in the group, only the top team will qualify for the finals.
The same applies to other groups containing any of the co-hosts, while the top two teams from the remaining groups will qualify.
-
Crime3 days agoBREAKING: EFCC Nabs Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Years on The Run
-
Business2 days agoFemi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
-
Sports3 days agoAFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Appears Before ADC Presidential Screening Panel
-
News3 days agoTinubu, Shettima , Jonathan highlight political lessons from Gowon ‘s autobiography ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance.’
-
Business2 days agoSouth African pension fund expresses interest in Dangote IPO
-
Entertainment2 days agoWizkid Becomes First African Artist to Surpass 11 Billion Spotify Streams
-
Entertainment2 days ago‘God Took Him’ — Singer Niniola Announces Death of Husband Michael Ndika
