News
BREAKING: Another Newswatch Magazine Co-Founder Passes Away – Yakubu Mohammed Dies at 75
In a somber development for Nigeria’s journalism community, Yakubu Mohammed, a co-founder of the iconic Newswatch magazine and its former deputy chief executive officer, has died at the age of 75.
Mohammed’s passing, announced recently, follows closely on the heels of the death of his longtime colleague and fellow co-founder, Dan Agbese, who succumbed to a prolonged illness on November 17, 2025, at age 81.
This marks yet another significant loss among the pioneering generation that launched Newswatch in 1984, revolutionizing investigative journalism in Nigeria.
Alongside Dan Agbese, Ray Ekpu, and the late Dele Giwa (who was tragically assassinated via a parcel bomb in 1986), Mohammed helped establish Newswatch as a trailblazing weekly newsmagazine known for its bold, fearless reporting and commitment to truth during a turbulent era in Nigerian history.
Reports indicate that Mohammed had been battling an undisclosed ailment before his death. Just months prior, in October 2025, he released his memoir, Beyond Expectations, which provides deep insights into the magazine’s founding, its challenges, and its enduring impact on Nigerian media.
The deaths of Agbese and now Mohammed represent profound blows to the legacy of Newswatch, which set new standards for ethical, investigative, and interpretative journalism in the country.
Tributes are expected to pour in from media practitioners, political leaders, and the public as the nation mourns another pillar of its press freedom movement. May his soul rest in perfect peace.
News
200 Kaduna varsity lecturers resign over poor condition of service
Most of the lecturers who left the institution secured appointments in newer universities within and outside Kaduna State.
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has raised concern over the departure of more than 200 lecturers of Kaduna State University, (KASU).
Chairman of ASUU-KASU, Dr Abubakar Abdullahi, disclosed this at a press conference on Monday in Kaduna, lamenting that lecturers, including professors, left the institution due to poor conditions of service and non-implementation of the 2025 Federal Government- ASUU Agreement.
Abdullahi said that most of the lecturers who left the institution secured appointments in newer universities within and outside Kaduna State.
Consequently, the Union has issued a two-week ultimatum to the Kaduna State Government and university authorities to implement and domesticate the agreement.
The union warned that failure to act within the period could result in a total and indefinite strike at the university.
News
Edo House of Assembly Elect New Speaker Idiaye, Hints Why Agbebaku Resign
“Once the leadership is poor, it will drag the work of the governor backwards. So we decided to say no.”
•The new Speaker of the Edo House of Assembly, Mr Yekini Idiaye
The Edo House of Assembly has sworn in a newly elected Speaker , Yekini Idiaye, following the resignation of the former speaker, Blessing Agbebaku.
Speaking in an interview after his swearing-in ceremony in Benin, Idiaye pledged the full cooperation of the house to the state executive, describing Governor Monday Okpebholo as a performing leader who deserved legislative backings.
“He is doing a lot for the people of Edo, so we have to cooperate with him to move the state forward,” he added.
Fielding question on the exit of the former speaker, Idiaye cited the challenges of corruption and poor leadership.
Idiaye said: ” There’s corruption here and there. Every now and then it is adjournment — we resume tomorrow, adjournment for another 30 days, 20 days — and we were all not too happy with this leadership style.”
The new speaker pointed out that a weak legislature directly affected the executive, adding that the house had to act to protect the governor’s performance.
“Once the leadership is poor, it will drag the work of the governor backwards. So we decided to say no.”
News
Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”
Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics12 hours agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
News10 hours agoEdo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)
-
Politics2 days agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll
-
Politics13 hours agoOsun poll: ADC’s Salaam, Tambuwal Hail Adeleke for Second Term Win
-
Politics10 hours agoBREAKING: Edo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns
