Sports
Belgium beat US 4-1 to Reach World Cup Quarter-finals
The U.S. defeat means all three co-hosts are out of the tournament, after Canada and Mexico lost their last-16 games.
• Folarin Balogun played against Belgium but with limited impact.
Belgium produced a commanding display to defeat the United States 4-1 and book a FIFA World Cup quarter-final meeting with Spain.
The last-16 encounter in Seattle was overshadowed by controversy surrounding USA striker Folarin Balogun’s eligibility after FIFA suspended his one-match ban before kick-off.
Balogan was permitted to play, despite receiving a red card against Bosnia and Herzegovina, after U.S. President Donald Trump’s unprecedented intervention but he barely had an impact on the pitch.
Belgium ignored the off-field distractions and dominated the opening exchanges with aggressive pressing and swift attacking football.
Charles De Ketelaere gave Belgium the lead in the ninth minute with a simple tap-in, taking full advantage of a nervous start by the U.S. to quickly deflate the partisan crowd.
Malik Tillman’s deflected free kick levelled the game in the 31st minute, but De Ketelaere restored Belgium’s lead almost immediately with a back-post header.
The U.S. improved after the break until a calamitous error from goalkeeper Matt Freese allowed substitute Hans Vanaken to score in the 57th minute.Romelu Lukaku then added a fourth in added time to send U.S. fans streaming for the exits and Belgium into the quarter-finals. The goal was Lukaku’s 93rd for Belgium and his seventh in FIFA World Cup finals.
The U.S. defeat means all three co-hosts are out of the tournament, after Canada and Mexico lost their last-16 games.
“In the moments that we were doing well (in the tournament), we felt amazing,” U.S. midfielder Tyler Adams said.
“And then obviously, an opportunity like today, we didn’t grasp it – and it’s gonna sting.”
USA manager Mauricio Pochettino admitted his side never recovered after conceding immediately following their equaliser.
“From the beginning, we didn’t connect with the game. Even when we scored the goal, we conceded in the next action,” Pochettino said.
Sports
Ronaldo To End Career In Football This Year Without World Cup Title
The 41-year-old Portugal captain is one of football’s most decorated players, having won major trophies with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and current club Al-Nassr.
Cristiano Ronaldo says this could be his final year in football as the Portugal captain prepares to leave a lasting legacy.
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo told lifestyle magazine Vogue in an interview published on Sunday.
The 41-year-old Portugal captain is one of football’s most decorated players, having won major trophies with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and current club Al-Nassr.
Ronaldo made his senior debut for Sporting in 2002 and has enjoyed a career spanning more than two decades.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has scored 976 goals for club and country and is now closing in on the 1,000-goal milestone.
However, Ronaldo was unable to add a World Cup title to his list of honours after Portugal fell short at this year’s tournament.
Sports
NFF Sacks Madugu over WAFCON crashed out
The decision was reached by its Executive Committee following the poor performance at the recently concluded 2026 women’s Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has sacked the Super Falcons of Nigeria head coach, Justin Madugu, and his crew.
The decision was reached by its Executive Committee following the poor performance at the recently concluded 2026 women’s Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
The nation’s football governing body announced that the sack of Madugu and his technical crew following their return from WAFCON where the Falcons crashed out at the quarter-final stage.
They also failed to achieve automatic qualification to the 2027 women’s World Cup, and lost to South Africa for a chance to reach the World Cup via the playoffs.
Sports
Cameroon Win First WAFCON Cup Title
In a dominant first-half display, they scored three times before the break to end Malawi’s remarkable run at the tournament.
The Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon have won their first-ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations title after defeating Malawi 3-0 in Rabat on Sunday.
In a dominant first-half display, they scored three times before the break to end Malawi’s remarkable run at the tournament.
Marie Ngah Manga scored twice, while Naomi Eto added a spectacular scissors kick as Cameroon took a commanding lead before half-time.
Cameroon had reached the final after eliminating Nigeria and hosts Morocco, having previously lost three WAFCON finals.
Malawi, competing in their first WAFCON campaign, struggled to match Cameroon despite their impressive run to the final.
They had entered the tournament ranked 153rd in the world.
Goalkeeper Michaely Bihina made an early save at the feet of Temwa Chawinga as Malawi looked to threaten in the opening minutes.
Bihina also denied Chikondi Gondwe in the 14th minute before Cameroon began to take control.
Cameroon opened the scoring in the 20th minute after Malawi goalkeeper Mercy Sikelo failed to deal with Grace Mendoua’s cross.
Sikelo pushed the cross onto her own crossbar, allowing Ngah Manga to react quickly and head the ball into the net from close range.
Malawi tried to respond, but Cameroon remained in control.
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Diverts EFCC Funds to NELFUND
-
Opinions2 days agoBREAKING: Lagos Govt Declares Today, Thursday Work-Free to Mark 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day
-
News3 days agoMilitary Pensioners Protest Exclusion from Tinubu’s Salary Increments
-
News3 days agoTinubu Appoints Abel Enitan Head of Civil Service
-
News3 days ago83 Nigerians Return from South Africa (Video)
-
News2 days agoUPDATE: Isese Day — Ogun, Oyo Join Lagos to Declare Today Work-Free
-
International2 days agoBREAKING: No Survivors in Kenya Safari Helicopter Crash
-
Crime3 days agoBREAKING: 24 Bandits Killed as Security Forces Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina
