Sports
AFCON: ‘Be strong, you did your best for Nigeria’ – Sports minister tells Iwobi
The Honourable Minister of Sports Development, Senator John Owan Enoh recently had a discussion with Super Eagles midfielder, Alex Iwobi following cyber bullies against the Fulham star.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by Enoh’s media aide, Diana-Mary Tiku Nsan on Monday.
Enoh, who led the Super Eagles of Nigeria back home after the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations final against Ivory Coast, told Iwobi: “I am aware of what is happening on social media and as a ministry, this is not the first time we are going to make a statement against bullying, not just you but our sportsmen and women in general who are exposed to bullying due to the outcome of competitions.
“We are concerned about how our sportsmen and women are treated.”
The final AFCON 2023 has seen Iwobi experience a routine of unpleasant remarks hurled at him.
Iwobi confirmed leaving social media after the final game.
“For me, I have taken myself out of social media after yesterday’s game,” he said.
Enoh, however, encouraged the former Arsenal star saying:
“You did your best for your country and I am proud of you. The leadership and the rest of the country is proud of you.
“Those who are not are in the far minority and do not speak for the rest of our country, so just be strong.
“You did your best, you are part of a team that brought home a silver medal which the country last won at AFCON 2000, which is 23 years ago. You put in your best, thank you very much.”
Sports
Breaking: Arsenal Win Premier League For First Time In 22 Years
The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.
Arsenal have won the Premier League for the first time in 22 years with a game to spare after Man City failed to win at Bournemouth.
Arsenal ended their 22-year wait to be crowned Premier League champions on Tuesday after Manchester City were held 1-1 by Bournemouth.
City had to win to take the title fight to the final day, but the Cherries extended their unbeaten streak to 17 league games, a run which has secured European football for the first time in the club’s history.
After finishing second for the past three seasons, Mikel Arteta’s Gunners have finally made it over the line to end a six-year trophy drought.
Arsenal edged to the brink of the title with an unconvincing 1-0 win over already relegated Burnley on Monday, which took them five points clear of City.
The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.
Sports
AFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau
The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.
Nigeria have been drawn in Group L of the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, where they will face Madagascar, co-hosts Tanzania and Guinea- Bissau for a place at the tournament.
Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda will host the tournament from June 19 to July 17, 2027.
The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.
A total of 48 teams will participate in the qualifiers, with the draw producing 12 groups and 24 teams qualifying for the finals.
Nigeria were drawn from Pot 1 and handed a relatively favourable path to the tournament.
However, due to the presence of Tanzania — who have qualified automatically as co-hosts — in the group, only the top team will qualify for the finals.
The same applies to other groups containing any of the co-hosts, while the top two teams from the remaining groups will qualify.
Sports
Guardiola debunks Man City exit report
Since arriving at Manchester City in 2016, Guardiola has delivered an era of unprecedented success, winning six Premier League titles, the Champions League, three FA Cups, and five League Cups. His tenure has transformed the club into one of the most dominant forces in world football.
• Pep Guardiola , Manchester City
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has firmly rejected speculation that he is planning to leave the club at the end of the season, insisting he remains fully committed to his role at the Etihad Stadium.
Since arriving at Manchester City in 2016, Guardiola has delivered an era of unprecedented success, winning six Premier League titles, the Champions League, three FA Cups, and five League Cups.
His tenure has transformed the club into one of the most dominant forces in world football.
The Spaniard moved quickly to quell growing rumours during his pre-match press conference ahead of Tuesday’s Premier League clash against Bournemouth.
Recent reports had suggested that Manchester City were already making internal preparations for life after Guardiola, with former assistant Enzo Maresca emerging as a leading candidate to replace him.
However, Guardiola, who still has one year left on his current contract, appeared unfazed by the claims.
“So many times, I have one more year,” he said when asked about his future. “I am here, I have a contract.”
He also dismissed suggestions that the remaining fixtures could serve as a farewell tour, and laughed off reports that the club might name the newly expanded North Stand after him if he departs this summer.
-
Politics2 days agoObi emerges NDC’s sole presidential aspirant
-
Sports2 days agoGuardiola debunks Man City exit report
-
International2 days agoAfghan fathers forced to selling children to survive
-
Crime2 days agoBREAKING: EFCC Nabs Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Years on The Run
-
Politics3 days agoAPC primaries: Akpabio returns unopposed
-
Politics3 days agoJUST IN: Governor Dapo Abiodun Wins Ogun East APC Senatorial Primary
-
Sports2 days agoGuardiola ends 10-year Manchester City reign
-
International2 days agoKenyan transport operators suspend strike for one-week to allow talks
