Connect with us

Crime

JUST IN: Convict attacks US judge in court

Published

on

474 Views

A convicted criminal attacked and assaulted a Las Vegas judge during a hearing after she refused to grant him bail.

Convicted offender Deobra Delone Redden attacked Clark County District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus on Wednesday as she was in the middle of giving a sentence.

The moment Redden sprang up from where he was standing and jumped into the judge’s bench to tackle her was captured in a video uploaded by Reuters on Thursday.

Witnesses told The Independent that a courtroom marshal was hospitalised with a dislocated shoulder and a gushing cut on his forehead after being hurt while attempting to remove the defendant.

The Las Vegas district court in a statement said, “We commend the heroic acts of her staff, law enforcement, and all others who subdued the defendant.

“The court remains committed to a safe and secure courthouse and courtrooms. We are reviewing all our protocols and will do whatever is necessary to protect the judiciary, the public, and our employees.”

Judge Holthus also reportedly sustained injuries from the assault and her condition is currently under observation.

A screenshot of Redden launching over the desk of Judge Mary Kay Holthus during his sentencing. Credit: Clark County District Court

The Nevada attorney general’s office expressed their well wishes for Judge Holtus and the court marshal who were injured in the altercation, hoping for a swift recovery.

“Sending our sincerest well wishes to District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus and the marshal injured in her courtroom today. Your dedication to justice and the court are truly commendable,” the statement read.

After being taken into custody, Redden was charged with several new felonies, one of which is violence on a protected person, which includes the judge and court staff.

The defendant in a brawl with court marshals after attacking the judge. Credit: Clark County District Court

According to Daily Mail, Redden was being sentenced for aggravated battery with substantial bodily harm just before he launched his attack.

Redden, a resident of Las Vegas, underwent a mental evaluation and was deemed fit to stand trial.

In November, Redden pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of attempted battery resulting in significant physical harm.

According to state records, Redden has a history of serving time in prison in Nevada for a conviction related to domestic battery, The Independent reports.

With the judge’s determination to ensure his imprisonment and the court marshal’s move to restrain him, Redden defiantly surged forward.

Redden had previously appeared before Judge Holthus on allegations of property destruction, according to documents, as reported by The US Sun.

Crime

SITREP: Rival Cult Groups Clash on Freedom Way Near the Dome, Sparking Chaos

Published

on

48 Views

An ongoing fracas allegedly involving rival cult groups has erupted on Freedom Way near the Dome, at Lekki Phase 1 Lagos, with reports of widespread mayhem.

Motorists have abandoned their vehicles on the road and fled the area as the confrontation intensifies.

A minimal police presence is on site attempting to restore order.

Authorities and local sources advise residents to avoid the area if possible and delay non-essential travel until the situation stabilizes.

Fleeing individuals from the groups have also been using a bush path at the end of the driveway leading onto Freedom Way, prompting calls for heightened security awareness when exiting nearby lanes.

Residents are urged to remain cautious until the disturbance fully subsides.

Continue Reading

Crime

UK court jails Congolese for murder of Nigerian

After the killing, Katabana activated the building’s fire alarm and walked to Bethel Street Police Station, where he surrendered to officers.

Published

on

By

107 Views

The killer (Left) Benjamin Katabana; The victim (right), Uchenna Okirie. Photo Credit: Norfolk ConstabularyCCTV footage.

A 28-year-old Congolese national has been sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 20 years for the murder of his Nigerian roommate in Norwich, United Kingdom.

BBC reported on Tuesday that Benjamin Katabana was convicted of the murder of 33-year-old Uchenna Okirie, a former University of East Anglia economics student, after luring him into the communal corridor of their shared accommodation with WhatsApp messages.

The attack happened at Somerleyton House on Somerleyton Street, Norwich, on November 22.

According to Norfolk Constabulary, Okirie, popularly known as Uche, was using his phone when Katabana attacked him with a knife.

Katabana initially stabbed Okirie once before repeatedly attacking him and kicking him in the head while he lay on the floor.Okirie was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 6am.

A post-mortem examination found that he died from a stab wound to the chest.

After the killing, Katabana activated the building’s fire alarm and walked to Bethel Street Police Station, where he surrendered to officers.

He reportedly told police: “I have killed someone, I think.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Governor Mbah Commends Security Forces Over Arrest Of Affa Church Kidnappers

A joint operation by the Department of State Services (DSS), the Army, Police, Enugu State Forest Guard, and others, led to a gun battle with the suspected kidnappers.

Published

on

By

91 Views

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has commended intelligence and security agencies in the state for having arrested three members of a notorious kidnap gang responsible for the August 2, 2026 attack on St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Inoyi-Affa, in Udi LGA of the state.

A joint operation by the Department of State Services (DSS), the Army, Police, Enugu State Forest Guard, and others, led to a gun battle with the suspected kidnappers.

One suspected member of the kidnapping gang was neutralized, while the security team recovered four AK-47 rifles and a cache of ammunition.

The governor made the commendation on Monday night after visiting the state DSS headquarters to see the arrested suspected kidnappers.

The governor, who was represented by Secretary to the State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, disclosed that two of the three kidnapped victims of the August 2 attack, Seminarian Lawrence Igbo and Mr. Emmanuel Onwudi, had regained their freedom.

The victims, stated the SSG, had fully identified the apprehended men as their abductors.

On behalf of the governor, the SSG assured the people of Enugu State that the Mbah administration would continue to prioritise and invest in the security of their lives and properties.

“There was one fatality in this process. It was one of the criminals that died in the process of apprehending them.

Usually, criminal elements will not want to be apprehended easily without a fight, but our people were ready, and we have one fatality, while the others are here now as you can see; and they will face the full wrath of the law,” he declared.

“We made it very clear that if criminality becomes your venture, Enugu State is not the location to do that business; that we will pursue you, we will make sure we bring you to justice, and that was why we put the robust security architecture across the state, working in collaboration with the security forces to ensure that Enugu is uncomfortable for anybody that plans criminality, and you’re seeing that very clearly.

“We are intentional in investing in and organising our security architecture to prevent crime. But if there is a breach, you can run, but cannot hide for long. We must get you. You can’t commit these crimes in Enugu State and get away with it. No way,” he said.

He warned citizens against colluding with criminal elements or serve as their informants, vowing to come after them.

“We will find you also, just as we have found these people, and we will prosecute you as part of this evil operation and this evil syndicate.

“Wherever you are, know that investigation is ongoing and that this government will track you down, and you will pay for your crimes in planning havoc on our citizens. So wherever you are, we are still coming for you,” he stressed.He showered encomium on the security forces for their cooperation and gallantry.

“We also want to very highly commend all the security agencies: the DSS, Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Police, the Enugu State Forest Guard, the military services, others for being very instrumental in some of the work that was done, and continue to do in Enugu State,” the SSG declared.

Continue Reading

Trending