Connect with us

News

SUBSIDY PALLIATIVE : FG, Labour Adjourns Meeting to digest Tinubu’s National Broadcast

Published

on

The Presidential Steering Committee on Palliatives and Organised Labour, comprising the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress, have both agreed to adjourn their meeting at the Aso Rock Villa to tomorrow.

Both parties decided to postpone the meeting to allow labor representatives an opportunity to watch and digest President Bola Tinubu’s national broadcast, which addresses economic issues and measures taken to tackle them.


In response to some of the measures announced by the president, including the distribution of buses and the exchange rate unification, the President of the NLC, Joe Ajero, expressed his reaction.


This meeting occurs just 48 hours before the planned nationwide protest by the labor unions, which they insist will proceed as scheduled.

News

Recall: Kogi Central Constituents thank INEC for recognising 208,132 signatures

Published

on

…….Says ‘it’s proof that Kogi Central has abandoned Natasha, Vow to proceed with recall, finetune process.

Constituents of Kogi Central Senatorial District have thanked the Independent National Electoral Commission for validating 208,132 (43.86 per cent) signatures in the petition submitted for the recall of the suspended lawmaker representing the District in the National Assembly, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The constituents, who are registered voters of Kogi Central, noted that, though they had mobilised more than the 50 per cent plus one threshold of registered voters and submitted their petition with full documentation, the validation of 43.86 per cent by the Commission still confirmed that Kogi Central constituents had abandoned the embattled Senator.”

Apparently, INEC canceled not less than 35,000 signatures at the administrative stage,” the constituents said, while reacting to a statement on the recall process issued by the electoral umpire.

In a statement on Thursday, signed by Salihu Habib, on behalf of the petitioners, the constituents insisted that there was no going back on their resolve to bring the Kogi Senator back home.

“We will liaise with INEC within the full ambits of the Constitution and regulations to demand for transparency in the handling of our petition.

We have utmost confidence in the Commission not to subject the recall process to ambiguity or administrative opacity,” the constituents said.

They expressed their gratitude to INEC for proving naysayers, who queried the authenticity of their figures, wrong.

“We thank INEC for making it clear that the bulk of the people of Kogi Central are behind us and that we did not import a crowd like a desperate, embattled lawmaker,” they said.

The petitioners insisted that the recall of Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan “for misconduct and divisiveness” was non-negotiable.

They said, “We are firm in our resolve to restore dignified and collaborative representation to Kogi Central Senatorial District.

We will no longer indulge someone who will do and say anything just to remain politically relevant.

“The whole of Nigeria watched her deceptive rally last Tuesday where she openly made comments capable of setting, not just Kogi State, but Nigeria ablaze.

“How can any patriotic Nigerian accuse other parts of the country of sabotaging Kogi State/the North because LNG plants are sited here?

How can a responsible Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria try to pitch the North against the South?”

“We will pursue all lawful and constitutional means to ensure our voices are heard and respected. After God, power belongs to the people,” the constituents declared.

Continue Reading

News

Massive Gridlock: FG reopens Independence Bridge in Lagos

Published

on

The Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, has directed the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge in Lagos to vehicular traffic.

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs. Olukorede Kesha, had earlier stated that the closure was for planned maintenance and rehabilitation.

She expressed regret for the inconvenience caused and appealed for public understanding.

The Federal Ministry of Works has clarified that necessary repairs on the bridge would be carried out at a later date.

The new instruction to reopen the bridge is ostensibly as a result of the gridlock caused by the closure which resulted in outcry by commuters since its closure on Tuesday, April 1.

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: President Tinubu to Embark on Working Visit to Paris

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will depart for Paris, France, today on a short working visit.

This information was stated in a press release today, April 2, 2025 by Bayo Onanuga, the Special Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy.

Onanuga said during the President’s visit, he will appraise his administration’s mid-term performance and assess key milestones.

“He will also use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary”.

“This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year”.

“Recent economic strides reinforce the President’s commitment to these efforts, as evidenced by the Central Bank of Nigeria reporting a significant increase in net foreign exchange reserves to $23.11 billion—a testament to the administration’s fiscal reforms since 2023 when net reserves were $3.99 billion”.

“While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities. He will return to Nigeria in about a fortnight, the statement reads.

Continue Reading

Trending