Sports
Why I Didn’t Buy Arsenal — Dangote
Dangote’s interests in Arsenal dates back over 15 years.
Africa’s richest man, Billionaire Aliko Dangote, has restated that his $20 billion refinery project in Lagos prevented him from buying into English Premier League club, Arsenal.
In a podcast broadcast by Nicolai Tangen, Chief Executive Officer of Norges Bank Investment released on YouTube Wednesday, Dangote said that if not for the refinery project, he would have bought the North London Gunners.
According to Dangote, Arsenal was worth about $2 billion at the time he was seriously considering a takeover, but the magnitude of his refinery project did not allow him the luxury of diverting funds to a football club ownership.
“When I was really very focused on buying Arsenal, then I was also facing the challenge of making sure the refinery gets its own completion, the fertilizer, the petrochemical.
At that time, Arsenal was worth just about $2 billion. Should I put my $2 billion in Arsenal and now allow the business to suffer? Or should I complete the business? Then I can continue to remain a very big supporter of Arsenal,” recalled the billionaire businessman.
He reveals that he chose to continue backing the club as a loyal fan rather than as an owner.
“So I decided to continue to support them, watch their games. Any time Arsenal plays, I always wear the jersey signed for me by the Captain. I am a fan—it is better I remain a fan and continue to fund my business,” said Dangote.
Dangote’s interests in Arsenal dates back over 15 years. He told BBC Africa Sports in 2015 that he planned a full takeover bid once his refinery provided the necessary funds.
Africa’s richest man had told American financier, David Rubenstein, in 2020: “It is a team that yes I would like to buy some day… I’m not buying Arsenal right now, I’m buying Arsenal when I finish all my projects at hand (including the refinery under construction) then.”
Sports
Ronaldo To End Career In Football This Year Without World Cup Title
The 41-year-old Portugal captain is one of football’s most decorated players, having won major trophies with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and current club Al-Nassr.
Cristiano Ronaldo says this could be his final year in football as the Portugal captain prepares to leave a lasting legacy.
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo told lifestyle magazine Vogue in an interview published on Sunday.
The 41-year-old Portugal captain is one of football’s most decorated players, having won major trophies with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and current club Al-Nassr.
Ronaldo made his senior debut for Sporting in 2002 and has enjoyed a career spanning more than two decades.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has scored 976 goals for club and country and is now closing in on the 1,000-goal milestone.
However, Ronaldo was unable to add a World Cup title to his list of honours after Portugal fell short at this year’s tournament.
Sports
NFF Sacks Madugu over WAFCON crashed out
The decision was reached by its Executive Committee following the poor performance at the recently concluded 2026 women’s Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has sacked the Super Falcons of Nigeria head coach, Justin Madugu, and his crew.
The decision was reached by its Executive Committee following the poor performance at the recently concluded 2026 women’s Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
The nation’s football governing body announced that the sack of Madugu and his technical crew following their return from WAFCON where the Falcons crashed out at the quarter-final stage.
They also failed to achieve automatic qualification to the 2027 women’s World Cup, and lost to South Africa for a chance to reach the World Cup via the playoffs.
Sports
Cameroon Win First WAFCON Cup Title
In a dominant first-half display, they scored three times before the break to end Malawi’s remarkable run at the tournament.
The Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon have won their first-ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations title after defeating Malawi 3-0 in Rabat on Sunday.
In a dominant first-half display, they scored three times before the break to end Malawi’s remarkable run at the tournament.
Marie Ngah Manga scored twice, while Naomi Eto added a spectacular scissors kick as Cameroon took a commanding lead before half-time.
Cameroon had reached the final after eliminating Nigeria and hosts Morocco, having previously lost three WAFCON finals.
Malawi, competing in their first WAFCON campaign, struggled to match Cameroon despite their impressive run to the final.
They had entered the tournament ranked 153rd in the world.
Goalkeeper Michaely Bihina made an early save at the feet of Temwa Chawinga as Malawi looked to threaten in the opening minutes.
Bihina also denied Chikondi Gondwe in the 14th minute before Cameroon began to take control.
Cameroon opened the scoring in the 20th minute after Malawi goalkeeper Mercy Sikelo failed to deal with Grace Mendoua’s cross.
Sikelo pushed the cross onto her own crossbar, allowing Ngah Manga to react quickly and head the ball into the net from close range.
Malawi tried to respond, but Cameroon remained in control.
-
Politics2 days agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
-
Politics2 days agoOsun poll: ADC’s Salaam, Tambuwal Hail Adeleke for Second Term Win
-
Sports2 days agoCameroon Win First WAFCON Cup Title
-
Politics2 days agoBREAKING: Edo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns
-
News2 days agoEdo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)
-
Politics3 days agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll
-
Entertainment2 days agoUS Actress Hayden Panettiere Dies At 36
-
Politics3 days agoBREAKING: Adeleke coasts to victory winning 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
