News
JUST IN: Alleged Coup Plotters Set for Arraignment at Noon Wednesday
The alleged coup plotters in Nigeria’s foiled treason scheme will be arraigned before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik at the Federal High Court at noon This Wednesday.
The Attorney-General’s office confirmed the development moments ago.
On Monday, the federal government filed charges under FHC/ABJ/CR/206/2026, signed by the Attorney General Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, accusing retired Major General Mohammed Ibrahim Gana, retired Naval Captain Erasmus Victor, Inspector Ahmed Ibrahim, Zekeri Umoru, Bukar Goni, and Abdulkadir Sani of conspiring in 2025 to “levy war against the state” and overthrow the President—punishable under Section 37(2) of the Criminal Code.
The charges also allege they shared over N71 million for terrorism financing, failed to report prior knowledge of a treasonable plot by one Colonel Mohammed Alhassan Ma’aji and others, and neglected to prevent it. Former Minister of State for Petroleum Timipre Sylva is named but remains at large.
In Count One, the defendants are accused of conspiring with others sometime in 2025 in Abuja to levy war against the state in order to overthrow Nigeria’s President, Bola Tinubu — an offence punishable under Section 37(2) of the Criminal Code.
Subsequent counts allege that the accused knew of an impending act of treason and terrorism by Colonel Ma’aji and others but failed to disclose it to the relevant authorities, in violation of the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.
Particularly damning are the money laundering and terrorism financing counts.
Abdulkadir Sani, a Zaria-based cleric, is accused of indirectly retaining N2,000,000 in a Jaiz Bank account, while Bukar Kashim Goni allegedly retained N50 million in his First Bank account.
Zekeri Umoru faces charges of accepting N10 million in cash from Colonel Ma’aji and retaining nearly N8.8 million in a Zenith Bank account — all sums reasonably suspected to be proceeds of terrorism financing.
News
Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”
Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.
News
Edo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot
The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned following moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.
Agbebaku said his decision came after extensive consultations with his constituency and party leaders.
In related developments, other principal officers of the House, including the Majority Leader and his deputy, have been suspended.
Agbebaku had served as Speaker for six years, having assumed the position during the tenure of former Governor Godwin Obaseki. He defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) after the 2024 Edo governorship election.
Yekini Idiaye has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
-
Health3 days agoGov Mbah Invest in world-class Enugu International Hospital
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics3 days agoHAPPENING NOW: Security Beefed up at INEC Office in Osun Ahead of Saturday’s Governorship Election
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Poll: Youths Accuse APC of Vote-Buying in Ejigbo (Video)
-
Politics3 hours agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
Politics1 day agoBREAKING: Adeleke coasts to victory winning 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
