News
BREAKING: Governor Soludo Orders One-Week Closure of Onitsha Main Market Over Non-Compliance with Anti-Sit-at-Home
In a decisive move to enforce the abolition of the long-standing Monday “sit-at-home” order in Anambra State, Governor Professor Chukwuma Charles Soludo has directed the immediate closure of the iconic Onitsha Main Market for one full week.
The governor’s action stems from reports that traders at the bustling market failed to open for business on Monday, January 26, 2026, in defiance of repeated state government directives mandating full resumption of commercial activities every Monday. The sit-at-home practice, originally linked to security concerns and separatist agitations in the Southeast, has been officially abolished by the Anambra State Government as part of broader efforts to restore normalcy, boost economic activity, and improve security.
Governor Soludo, who has consistently warned that non-compliant markets, shops, or plazas would face sealing for one week (and potentially longer for repeated violations), invoked this penalty following the apparent non-compliance at Onitsha Main Market—one of Nigeria’s largest and most economically vital commercial hubs.
The closure is expected to remain in effect for seven days, during which trading activities will be suspended. State authorities have emphasized that the measure aims to send a strong message against any lingering adherence to the sit-at-home order, which has previously crippled commerce across parts of the region.
Details on enforcement mechanisms, potential extensions of the closure, and reactions from market leaders and traders are still emerging. The state government has reiterated its commitment to ensuring Mondays are fully operational business days statewide, with similar warnings issued to other markets, schools, and civil servants (including threats of salary deductions for non-compliance).
This development comes amid ongoing efforts by the Soludo administration to end the sit-at-home phenomenon, which has seen varying levels of observance despite improved security in recent times.
Further updates will follow as more information becomes available.
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
News
Nigerian Law school student dies after falling from hostel rooftop
The deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
•Faith Alayande
A Nigerian Law School student identified as Faith Alayande, is dead after she fell from the rooftop at Lagos campus.
In a statement on Monday, Aderonke Osho, secretary to the council and director of administration, said that the deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
Osho said preliminary findings revealed that the student died from injuries sustained after falling from the rooftop of the campus hostel around 4am on Friday.
The Nigerian Law School is deeply saddened by this tragic development.
“Management is working closely with the appropriate authorities and the family to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, ensure that all necessary procedures are duly followed, and provide further information as appropriate.”
News
Ekwulobia Suspends New Yam Festival for Kidnap Billionaire Son
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
• Joseph Ezeokafor
Ekwulobia community in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State has cancelled its New Yam festival celebration billed for September 4, 2026.
Ohibaba.com learned that this is because of the kidnap of billionaire businessman and owner of Jezco Group of Companies, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor.
Ezeokafor was kidnapped in Awka on Tuesday last week when he stepped out of his house without his security details to attend to his spiritual need, where he goes to offer prays.
Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga who confirmed the development said that serious operation is currently ongoing to save the elder statesman.
His kidnap has sent his community into mourning, causing the postponement of the new Yam festival, an annual festival which holds on a static date every year.
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
“The Igwe said the community of Ekwulobia cannot celebrate while their son remains in the custody of the kidnappers,” the source said.
-
Politics3 days agoOsun Election: President Tinubu mobilises Voters “Go Out to Vote Candidate of Your Choice on Saturday Without Fear
-
Politics3 days agoThe Top Three Gladiators Locking Horns For Osun Governorship
-
Politics3 days agoAccord says Imumolen has no electoral value
-
Business3 days agoNaira Exchange Rates Friday, August 14
-
Politics3 days agoOsun governorship election will be transparent, says INEC
-
News3 days agoNMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
-
Sports3 days agoCommittees hit the ground running for 8th Kwara State Sports Festival
-
Politics1 day ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
