Connect with us

Sports

Odegbami predicts Super Eagles will defeat Morocco in semi-final clash

Nigeria will face Morocco on Wednesday at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in a high-stakes semi-final encounter.

Published

on

307 Views

Former Nigeria international and 1980 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) winner Segun Odegbami has expressed strong conviction ahead of the Super Eagles’ AFCON 2025 semi-final clash against hosts Morocco in Rabat.

Nigeria will face Morocco on Wednesday at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in a high-stakes semi-final encounter.

While acknowledging Morocco’s home advantage, Odegbami described the Rabat crowd as a major factor.

“They will have a 12th player, a loud army of supporters pushing them forward,” he said.

Nevertheless, he remains confident Nigeria can rise to the occasion.

Nicknamed “Mathematical” during his playing career, Odegbami said Nigeria’s commanding 2-0 quarter-final victory over Algeria brought back memories of the country’s historic dominance on the continent four decades ago.

“It felt like March 22, 1980, all over again. History was echoing loudly in my head,” Odegbami said.

The former Eagles captain recalled Nigeria’s emphatic 3-0 win over Algeria at the 1980 AFCON, when the North Africans were widely regarded as Africa’s strongest side, achieved through intensity, discipline and fearless attacking football.

“Algeria were stunned then, just as they looked helpless again two days ago,” he noted.

Sports

Committees hit the ground running for 8th Kwara State Sports Festival

The committees is entrusted with the responsibility of planning, coordinating and executing a peaceful, transparent and impactful festival involving all 16 Local Government Areas of the state.

Published

on

By

41 Views

Kwara State Sports Commission has inaugurated the Main Organising Committee (MOC), the Local Organising Committee (LOC), and 12 sub-committees to oversee the successful hosting of the 8th Kwara State Sports Festival, the state’s flagship sporting event.

The 8th Kwara State Sports Festival is scheduled to hold from August 21 to 29 at the George Agbazika Innih Stadium Complex, Ilorin, with activities commencing daily at 9:00 a.m.

The committees was inaugurated by the Executive Chairman of the Commission, who doubles as the Chairman of the Main Organising Committee (MOC), Bola Mogaji.

The sub-committees inaugurated include the Ceremonial, Publicity and Media, Technical, Security, Accreditation, Accommodation, Feeding, Venues, Power and Transportation Committees

The committees is entrusted with the responsibility of planning, coordinating and executing a peaceful, transparent and impactful festival involving all 16 Local Government Areas of the state.

Mogaji charged members of the committees to hit the ground running by working within the stipulated timeframe and developing realistic budgets that would ensure the successful achievement of the festival’s objectives.

He commended the State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, for his consistent investment in sports development, noting that the approval for the staging of the 8th edition of the festival reflected the governor’s passion and commitment to the advancement of sports in Kwara State.

Continue Reading

Sports

Katsina United player declared dead found alive in mortuary

Media officer of Katsina United, Nasir Gide, confirmed the development, saying the player had been declared dead twice before signs of life were noticed.‎

Published

on

By

56 Views

•Ozor Chinedu

Katsina United defender, Ozor Chinedu, who collapsed during a pre-season friendly against Niger Tornadoes at the Muhammadu Dikko Stadium in Katsina on Tuesday was found alive in hospital following his death report.‎

‎The 18-year-old, recently signed from Kano Pillars, slumped on the pitch in the Gusau/Ahlan Pre-season Cup and was rushed to K-Dara Specialist Hospital, where doctors reportedly pronounced him dead.‎‎

Katsina United subsequently issued a condolence statement, while clubs including Heartland and Kano Pillars mourned the player on social media.

‎However, in a dramatic twist, mortuary staff at Katsina General Hospital later observed movement in his body.

He was immediately transferred to the Intensive Care Unit and placed on oxygen.‎‎

Media officer of Katsina United, Nasir Gide, confirmed the development, saying the player had been declared dead twice before signs of life were noticed.‎

Continue Reading

Sports

NBA’s Los Angeles Lakers to be sold for $12.5bn – Report

Kushner is the brother of Jared Kushner, US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law.

Published

on

By

61 Views

The Los Angeles Lakers — one of the most successful teams in NBA history — are being sold to former Disney CEO Bob Iger and investor Joshua Kushner in a deal valuing the team at $12.5 billion, ESPN reported Wednesday.

The sale, which would mark a record-breaking price, comes only about a year after billionaire Mark Walter agreed to buy a controlling interest in the team in a then-record $10 billion deal.

Kushner is the brother of Jared Kushner, US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law.

Walter’s purchase, reported in June last year, ended the Buss family’s 46-year reign over the NBA giants.

The Lakers have won 17 NBA championships, second only to the Boston Celtics.The team has been home to some of the league’s biggest superstars including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O’Neal and the late Kobe Bryant.

LeBron James, the NBA all-time scoring leader, just left the squad for the Philadelphia 76ers after spending eight years and winning one title with the Lakers.

Continue Reading

Trending