Business
FCCPC files charges against MultiChoice over price hike
The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has filed charges against MultiChoice Nigeria Limited and its Chief Executive Officer, John Ugbe, for defying regulatory directives to suspend a subscription price hike.
FCCPC’s Director of Corporate Affairs, Ondaje Ijagwu, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.
On February 27, the FCCPC directed MultiChoice to suspend its planned price increase for DStv and GOtv services pending the conclusion of an investigation into the hike.
However, the company went ahead with the price adjustments on March 1, disregarding the directive.
The regulator said the charges, filed at the Federal High Court in Lagos, were based on three counts: obstructing the Commission’s inquiry, failing to comply with directives, and attempting to mislead the regulatory body.
Part of the statement reads, “Following the blatant disregard for regulatory oversight, the FCCPC has filed charges against MultiChoice Nigeria and John Ugbe at the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, on three counts of offences under the FCCPA 2018.
“Specifically for willfully obstructing the Commission’s inquiry by implementing a price hike contrary to directives (Section 33(4)), impeding the ongoing investigation by ignoring instructions to suspend the hike (Section 110), and attempting to mislead the Commission by proceeding with the increase without objection (Section 159(2), punishable under Section 159(4)(a) and (b)).”
The Commission described MultiChoice’s actions as a deliberate attempt to undermine regulatory authority, disrupt market fairness, and deny Nigerian consumers the protection guaranteed under the law.
“By disregarding the FCCPC’s directive and implementing the price hike before appearing before the Commission’s investigative hearing on March 6, 2025, MultiChoice has not only flouted regulatory processes but also demonstrated a pattern of conduct that undermines consumer rights and fair competition,” the statement added.
In addition to the legal action, the FCCPC said it is considering further enforcement measures, including sanctions and regulatory interventions, to ensure compliance and accountability.
MultiChoice had earlier informed customers of the impending price review, set to take effect on March 1, 2025, attributing the adjustment to rising costs of delivering premium content.
According to the notice titled “Price Adjustments for DStv and GOtv Packages,” the company said, “Dear Customer, please note that effective March 1, 2025, there will be a price adjustment on all DStv packages.
This is to enable us to continue offering our customers world-class homegrown and international content, delivered through the best technology.
”While the Compact Plus and Premium bouquets will remain at N30,000 and N44,500, respectively, the DStv Compact package is among the subscriptions expected to be affected by the price increase.
Business
CBN’s Cardoso Advocates cross-border payments reform at G-24 meeting
“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”
Olayemi Cardoso, governor, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has called for reforming cross-border payments system , asserting that its too inefficient to support inclusive growth in developing economies.
Cardoso made the call on Thursday during the G-24 Technical Group Meetings in Abuja, warning that high costs and settlement delays are shutting millions out of global trade and finance.
” It is not merely a technical upgrade but a macroeconomic priority, as the channels through which capital, remittances and trade flow increasingly shape financial stability”,said Cardoso.
He emphasised that payment systems now sit at the heart of global economic integration and financial stability, but remain structurally biased against emerging and developing markets.
“Today, cross-border payments remain too slow, too costly, and too fragmented, especially for developing economies,” Cardoso said.
“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”
Business
NAFDAC Seals 18 Warehouses Over Expired Products in Niger State
According to NAFDAC, about 80,000 packets of expired non-alcoholic drinks, 5,000 packets of dairy milk, 16,000 packets of bottled water, 28 cartons of pasta and other assorted expired products were uncovered during the operation.
Photo: Expired beverages ; Credit: NAFDAC
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has sealed no fewer than 18 warehouses in Bida, Niger State, following the discovery of large quantities of expired food and beverage products valued at over ₦100 million.
The warehouses, located around Ndazabo White House along Minna Road and behind Bida Modern Market, were shut after NAFDAC’s Investigation and Enforcement team acted on credible intelligence.
Items recovered during the raid included expired non-alcoholic beverages, dairy milk, candies, bottled water and pasta, some of which were already packaged for distribution.
According to NAFDAC, about 80,000 packets of expired non-alcoholic drinks, 5,000 packets of dairy milk, 16,000 packets of bottled water, 28 cartons of pasta and other assorted expired products were uncovered during the operation.
Managers of the affected warehouses were arrested for interrogation, during which preliminary findings linked the facilities to a company identified as BY Ventures.
This prompted NAFDAC officials to extend their operation to supermarkets owned by the company in Minna, where additional expired products and counterfeit Goya oil were allegedly found.
Both supermarkets were subsequently sealed, while the Managing Director of the company, Alhaji Yusuf Nadabo, was invited for further questioning.
The agency said that he admitted ownership of the expired products during interrogation.
NAFDAC stated that investigations are ongoing and that appropriate regulatory sanctions would be imposed at the conclusion of the process to serve as a deterrent to others.
Business
Wema Bank Announces Grand Event for International Women’s Day 2026 on March 4
Wema Bank, Nigeria’s oldest indigenous financial institution and pioneer of Africa’s first fully digital bank, ALAT, has announced it will host its highly anticipated 2026 International Women’s Day (IWD) Grand Event on Tuesday, March 4, 2026.
The event, described by the bank as the industry’s biggest celebration of its kind, aligns with the global IWD 2026 theme “Give To Gain.” Wema Bank has adopted the sub-theme “When Women Gain, We Grow,” emphasizing the transformative impact of supporting and investing in women across personal, professional, and societal levels.
According to Managing Director/CEO Moruf Oseni, the initiative underscores the bank’s long-standing commitment to women’s empowerment and gender inclusion, in line with United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 5.
Through its women-focused proposition, SARA by Wema (launched in 2019), the institution has consistently championed programs like SARA Gives and the Big Sister Graduation Challenge to uplift women at every stage.
The March 4 event is expected to feature keynote addresses, fireside chats, panel discussions, networking sessions, and opportunities to convene top women leaders from diverse industries alongside everyday women navigating their paths to success.
It aims to foster actionable conversations on empowerment, leadership, and collective growth.
Registration is now open via the official portal at wemabank.com/iwd, with the bank encouraging early participation to secure spots.
This announcement builds on Wema Bank’s history of impactful IWD celebrations and reinforces its dedication to promoting gender equality and women’s advancement in Nigeria and beyond.
Further details on the venue, speakers, and full agenda are expected to be released in the coming weeks.
-
News3 days agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
News7 hours agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Health3 days agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
-
Business1 day agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
Politics2 days agoPolitical thugs invades Ondo APC ward congress , beats chairman
-
Business2 days agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Business2 days agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
-
Opinions3 days agoBeyond the Noise: Godswill Akpabio and the Architecture of Stability
