Connect with us

News

FCT Minister Wike Vows  to Prosecute Abuja Manholes Vandals

Published

on

479 Views

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has vowed that those arrested by the security agencies for alleged involvement in the removal of sewage manhole covers on highways in Abuja will be made to face the full wrath of the law so as to serve as deterrent to others.

The Minister also assured that the government will ensure that all buyers and users of the vandalized manhole covers and other vandalized public infrastructures will be apprehended and prosecuted for economic sabotage and putting the lives of Nigerians at risk.

Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media to the Minister, Lere Olayinka, said in a statement on Monday, that the arrest of no fewer than 50 suspects for vandalism and theft of manhole covers within the FCT and recovering of 25 vandalized manhole covers was a demonstration of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) zero tolerance for criminalities, particularly vandalisation of public amenities.

The Minister, who commended the security agencies for their prompt and decisive actions, described their collaborative efforts as “fantastic” and a further assurance to the residents of the  the FCT that their lives and properties are secured.

He also commended Nigerians for showing patriotism in speaking against the vandalisation, adding that “safeguarding public amenities is first and foremost, the duty of Nigerians, who are the owners and users of the amenities.”

The FCT Minister urged Nigerians, especially residents of the FCT to continue to use the Social Media positively as was done on the removal of the manhole covers, promising that “the government will always act promptly.”

He said; “Those stealing and buying amenities meant for the use of Nigerians are Nigerians themselves. They live among us and they are known.

It is therefore important that patriotic Nigerians begin to expose them even before they carry out their devilish acts.”

News

Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.

Published

on

By

4 Views

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.

He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”

Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.

Continue Reading

News

Edo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)

Published

on

8 Views

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned following moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.

Agbebaku said his decision came after extensive consultations with his constituency and party leaders.

In related developments, other principal officers of the House, including the Majority Leader and his deputy, have been suspended.

Agbebaku had served as Speaker for six years, having assumed the position during the tenure of former Governor Godwin Obaseki. He defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) after the 2024 Edo governorship election.

Yekini Idiaye has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.

Watch video below:

Continue Reading

News

NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards

NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.

Published

on

By

44 Views

The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.

The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.

Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.

Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.

Continue Reading

Trending