Sports
2023WWC: Nigeria Begin Campaign Against Olympic Champions Canada
The Super Falcons of Nigeria will start their 2023 World Cup quest when they file out against Canada in a Group B encounter.
Nigeria, having participated in all editions of the Women’s World Cup, will battle the Olympic champions at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, Australia.
Despite making all editions of the global showpiece, Nigeria have only managed to reach the quarter-final once. That was in 1999 when they lost dramatically 4-3 to Brazil.
In the last edition of the competition, the West Africans bowed out in the round of 16 after crashing to France.
With just four wins in 26 World Cup matches, the Super Falcons are eager to rewrite history in Australia and New Zealand.
Asides from The Maple Leafs and Nigeria, other teams in Group B include co-hosts Australia and the Republic of Ireland.
When Nigeria start their 2023 World Cup campaign against the CONCACAF, they will be taking on familiar foes. Both sides have met four times, twice in the competition – group stage in 1995 and 2011.
The North Americans have won once, two of the matches ended in draws while Nigeria emerged victorious on one occasion.
But Canada’s coach Priestman believes Nigeria are no pushovers.
“With Nigeria, you could argue that their consistency hasn’t been great, but when they’re good, they’re really good. I just think we just need a calmness and a belief in what we do well. We’ll be going to try and top the group,” the coach told FIFA.com.
Coach Randy Waldrum’s girls have won three and lost two of their last five games. But their opponents have managed one win in the same number of matches, losing four of them.
He is already anticipating a tough tie with Canada.
“Canada are the Olympics Gold medalists and we know they are going to be very good. We played them twice the last year and have a lot of respect for them,” he said, according to FIFA. “They are a very good side, very well coached, but I think we can have the ability to be successful if we perform and stick to our gameplan.”
Team News, Players to Watch (Nigeria)

While Nigeria may have had some off-field skirmishes in the lead-up to the tournament, that seems to have fizzled away and the team is raring to go.
So far, there are no reports of injury worries for them heading into the clash against Bev Priestman’s charges. But Rasheedat Ajibade and Halimat Ayinde won’t play in the game after being sent off in Nigeria’s semi-final loss to Morocco at the 2022 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations (AWCON).
Against Canada, Nigeria will be backing on in-form Barcelona Femeni star Asisat Oshoala to lead the line. The African Player of the Year is the first from the continent to get a female Ballon d’Or nomination.
She is also fresh off a second consecutive Women’s Champions League crown with the Catalonian side.
Sports
Cameroon Win First WAFCON Cup Title
In a dominant first-half display, they scored three times before the break to end Malawi’s remarkable run at the tournament.
The Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon have won their first-ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations title after defeating Malawi 3-0 in Rabat on Sunday.
In a dominant first-half display, they scored three times before the break to end Malawi’s remarkable run at the tournament.
Marie Ngah Manga scored twice, while Naomi Eto added a spectacular scissors kick as Cameroon took a commanding lead before half-time.
Cameroon had reached the final after eliminating Nigeria and hosts Morocco, having previously lost three WAFCON finals.
Malawi, competing in their first WAFCON campaign, struggled to match Cameroon despite their impressive run to the final.
They had entered the tournament ranked 153rd in the world.
Goalkeeper Michaely Bihina made an early save at the feet of Temwa Chawinga as Malawi looked to threaten in the opening minutes.
Bihina also denied Chikondi Gondwe in the 14th minute before Cameroon began to take control.
Cameroon opened the scoring in the 20th minute after Malawi goalkeeper Mercy Sikelo failed to deal with Grace Mendoua’s cross.
Sikelo pushed the cross onto her own crossbar, allowing Ngah Manga to react quickly and head the ball into the net from close range.
Malawi tried to respond, but Cameroon remained in control.
Sports
Committees hit the ground running for 8th Kwara State Sports Festival
The committees is entrusted with the responsibility of planning, coordinating and executing a peaceful, transparent and impactful festival involving all 16 Local Government Areas of the state.
Kwara State Sports Commission has inaugurated the Main Organising Committee (MOC), the Local Organising Committee (LOC), and 12 sub-committees to oversee the successful hosting of the 8th Kwara State Sports Festival, the state’s flagship sporting event.
The 8th Kwara State Sports Festival is scheduled to hold from August 21 to 29 at the George Agbazika Innih Stadium Complex, Ilorin, with activities commencing daily at 9:00 a.m.
The committees was inaugurated by the Executive Chairman of the Commission, who doubles as the Chairman of the Main Organising Committee (MOC), Bola Mogaji.
The sub-committees inaugurated include the Ceremonial, Publicity and Media, Technical, Security, Accreditation, Accommodation, Feeding, Venues, Power and Transportation Committees
The committees is entrusted with the responsibility of planning, coordinating and executing a peaceful, transparent and impactful festival involving all 16 Local Government Areas of the state.
Mogaji charged members of the committees to hit the ground running by working within the stipulated timeframe and developing realistic budgets that would ensure the successful achievement of the festival’s objectives.
He commended the State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, for his consistent investment in sports development, noting that the approval for the staging of the 8th edition of the festival reflected the governor’s passion and commitment to the advancement of sports in Kwara State.
Sports
Katsina United player declared dead found alive in mortuary
Media officer of Katsina United, Nasir Gide, confirmed the development, saying the player had been declared dead twice before signs of life were noticed.
•Ozor Chinedu
Katsina United defender, Ozor Chinedu, who collapsed during a pre-season friendly against Niger Tornadoes at the Muhammadu Dikko Stadium in Katsina on Tuesday was found alive in hospital following his death report.
The 18-year-old, recently signed from Kano Pillars, slumped on the pitch in the Gusau/Ahlan Pre-season Cup and was rushed to K-Dara Specialist Hospital, where doctors reportedly pronounced him dead.
Katsina United subsequently issued a condolence statement, while clubs including Heartland and Kano Pillars mourned the player on social media.
However, in a dramatic twist, mortuary staff at Katsina General Hospital later observed movement in his body.
He was immediately transferred to the Intensive Care Unit and placed on oxygen.
Media officer of Katsina United, Nasir Gide, confirmed the development, saying the player had been declared dead twice before signs of life were noticed.
-
Health3 days agoGov Mbah Invest in world-class Enugu International Hospital
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics3 days agoHAPPENING NOW: Security Beefed up at INEC Office in Osun Ahead of Saturday’s Governorship Election
-
Politics4 hours agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Poll: Youths Accuse APC of Vote-Buying in Ejigbo (Video)
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
News2 hours agoEdo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)
