Connect with us

Crime

Motorists raise concerns over corpses on Lagos-Ibadan highway

Published

on

323 Views

Some motorists along the Mowe-Ibafo area have expressed concerns over the rising cases of corpses being dumped along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

The motorists who spoke with newsmen on Wednesday expressed fear of disease outbreak and the security threat that such recurring issue may pose to them.

It was also observed that there was a corpse with burnt scars wrapped in a blue fabric and tied with rope dumped along the roadside.

It was also gathered that there was another corpse dumped opposite the university on Tuesday while there was a similar case recently.

A motorist who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity for fear of being interrogated by the police urged security agents to beam their searchlight on the area.

 “I think the corpse was dumped overnight but I cannot ascertain it because it was the odour oozing from that axis that attracted attention to it. It means that this place is not safe, especially at night,” he said.

Another motorist who identified himself simply as Rasheed, noted that the decomposing corpse posed a threat to road users if not evacuated quickly.

 “The odour coming from the dead body is not good at all and it can cause health issues if not urgently taken away,” he said.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Ogun State Command, Omolola Odutola, advised residents to always report such incidents to the Divisional Police Officer in their area while noting that she had informed the nearest police point for necessary action.

“When they observe such a situation, they should report to the nearest police station. The police cannot act when they are not informed, so people should endeavour to always inform their DPO of such issues. The problem is that most times we may not be aware of a missing person unless their family comes to report such,” she said.

When contacted for possible action on evacuating the body, the Chairman, Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area, Lanre Ogunsola, asked our correspondent to send a message but he had yet to respond to the message as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

BREAKING: Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe Arrested in Johannesburg After Alleged Shooting at Home

Published

on

3 Views

Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of the late former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, has been arrested following a shooting incident at his residence in the upscale Hyde Park suburb.

According to reports from South African media outlets including eNCA and IOL, as well as Gauteng police investigations, an employee—described variably as a security guard or gardener—was shot during an apparent dispute at the property.

The victim is in critical condition and receiving medical treatment.Police responded to the scene, where Mugabe was reportedly taken into custody in connection with the shooting.

Some unconfirmed social media accounts and early reports mentioned police negotiators attending amid claims the suspect had barricaded himself, but he was subsequently arrested.

This marks the latest in a series of legal troubles for Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, who has previously faced charges related to assault in Zimbabwe, including incidents involving security personnel and law enforcement.

The investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS) is ongoing, with more details expected as the case develops. Authorities have not yet released an official statement on charges or motives.

The incident has drawn significant attention online and in regional media, given the family’s prominent political legacy.

Continue Reading

Crime

BREAKING: ICPC Confirms Nasir El-Rufai in Its Custody, Not DSS

Published

on

7 Views

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has officially confirmed that former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai is currently in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.

In a statement issued late Wednesday by the commission’s Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey, the ICPC stated: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State, is in our custody as at close of work today, Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.

“The confirmation comes amid earlier widespread reports suggesting that El-Rufai had been taken into custody by the Department of State Services (DSS) following his release on administrative bail by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) around 8 p.m. on Wednesday.

Witnesses and initial sources indicated that operatives from another security agency—widely reported as the DSS—were waiting at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja and immediately detained him upon his release after two nights in EFCC custody.

However, the ICPC’s statement clarifies that El-Rufai is now under its authority, addressing the confusion in initial media accounts that attributed his latest detention to the DSS.

Details of the specific allegations under ICPC investigation were not disclosed in the statement, though El-Rufai’s earlier EFCC questioning reportedly related to financial matters during his tenure as governor from 2015 to 2023, including probes linked to substantial state funds.

The sequence of events began on Monday when El-Rufai honored an EFCC invitation over alleged corruption, leading to his detention for questioning. After being granted bail on Wednesday evening, the rapid transfer to another agency has sparked fresh developments in what appears to be a multi-agency scrutiny of the former governor.

Further details on the handover process—whether involving the DSS or direct ICPC action—remain unclear, as the ICPC has not elaborated beyond confirming custody. El-Rufai, a prominent political figure and former ally of President Bola Tinubu, has faced multiple probes in recent months.

Continue Reading

Crime

BREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping

Published

on

39 Views

The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed cybercrime charges against former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of involvement in the unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu.

QAccording to court documents, the charges stem from El-Rufai’s statements during a live interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026. In the broadcast, he reportedly admitted to accessing an intercepted conversation in which Ribadu allegedly instructed security operatives to arrest him upon his return to Nigeria.

Prosecutors allege that this interception seriously compromised national security and public safety, creating widespread fear among citizens by exposing vulnerabilities in high-level communications.

The three-count charge accuses El-Rufai of violating provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act 2003. He faces allegations of direct participation in the unlawful interception as well as failing to report those responsible for the act to the appropriate authorities.

The development follows intense public backlash and calls for investigation after El-Rufai’s televised remarks, which drew criticism from political figures, including presidential aides, who described the admission as a confession to illegal wiretapping of a top security official.

El-Rufai has previously denied direct wrongdoing in related controversies, framing his comments within broader claims of surveillance practices by government agencies.

The case is expected to heighten political tensions ahead of future elections as proceedings unfold in court.

Continue Reading

Trending