Crime
KOGI: 21 Ajaokuta kidnapped victims rescued within 48 hours as Governor Bello reiterates zero tolerance for criminal activities
The 21 victims kidnapped along the Ajaokuta-Itobe road in Kogi State, on Thursday, have been rescued, within 48 hours, by a joint team of security operatives, comprising personnel of the Nigerian Police Force, Civil Defence and local vigilantes.
The victims, predominantly travelers, had been whisked away to an unknown destination within the dense forest around the Ajaokuta Local Government Area of Kogi State.

Upon receiving report of this distressing incident, His Excellency, Yahaya Bello, CON, the Governor of Kogi State, promptly issued directives to both security agencies and local vigilantes to embark on immediate actions that will lead to the freedom of the captives.
He said the perpetrators of this reprehensible act must also be fished out.
This directive underscored Governor Bello’s unwavering commitment to the safety and well-being of the citizens/residents under his charge.
The determined efforts of the combined security forces yielded results within 48 hours, leading to successful release of the 21 captives.
Furthermore, the operation led to the apprehension of some of the kidnappers while those still at large are being trailed.
Expressing his relief and satisfaction at the positive outcome of the operation, Governor Yahaya Bello commended the security operatives for their rapid and effective response.

The governor emphasized the paramount importance of maintaining peace and security within Kogi State, reiterating his administration’s steadfast commitment to leaving no stone unturned in its relentless pursuit of keeping Kogi as one of the safest states in the country.
Governor Bello, while commending the security agencies in the state, reiterated his government’s commitment and collaborative efforts in the ongoing battle against criminal elements.
He seized the opportunity to issue a stern warning to those with nefarious intentions and warned criminals against migrating to Kogi for illicit activities.
The Governor unequivocally declared Kogi as a no-go area for all forms of criminalities, making it clear that his administration would spare no effort in safeguarding the peace and security of the state.
The successful rescue operation stands as a testament to the coordinated and decisive efforts of the security apparatus in Kogi State under the guidance of Governor Yahaya Bello.
The unwavering commitment to the safety of citizens, coupled with a resolute stance against criminal elements, reflects the dedication of the administration to creating an environment where residents can live without fear.
Crime
EFCC Nabs 20 in Vote-Buying Crackdown During FCT Council Polls
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) arrested 20 individuals on Saturday for alleged involvement in vote-buying, vote-selling, and related electoral offences during the Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections.
Operatives recovered a total of ₦17,218,700 in suspected proceeds from the malpractices, with the largest single seizure being ₦13,500,000 found in a vehicle parked near a polling unit in Kwali Area Council.
The arrests were spread across several councils: nine in Gwagwalada, four in Kuje, four in Kwali (including the major cash haul), and two in Abaji.EFCC spokesperson Dele Oyewale said the commission had deployed teams to all six area councils to monitor the process and prevent financial inducements and other irregularities that undermine electoral integrity.
“Investigations are ongoing and the suspects will be arraigned in court as soon as inquiries are concluded,” Oyewale stated.
The elections, overseen by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), were generally peaceful. The All Progressives Congress (APC) clinched five of the six chairmanship positions, while the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) won one.
Crime
Secret Service Kills Armed Intruder at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Residence
Early Sunday morning, U.S. Secret Service agents, along with a Palm Beach County sheriff’s deputy, shot and killed an armed man who unlawfully breached the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s private resort and residence in Palm Beach, Florida.
The incident occurred around 1:30 a.m. local time near the property’s north gate. Authorities reported that the suspect, identified as Austin Tucker Martin, 21, of Cameron, North Carolina, was observed carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can (also described as a gas can).
According to the U.S. Secret Service and Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw, the man was confronted by law enforcement officers after entering the restricted area. He was ordered to drop the items. Reports indicate he complied by setting down the fuel can but then raised the shotgun into a shooting position, prompting the agents and deputy to open fire. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.
No law enforcement personnel were injured in the encounter. President Trump was not present at Mar-a-Lago during the incident—he was in Washington, D.C., where he attended the White House Governors Dinner on Saturday evening and remained overnight.
The Secret Service described the event as the suspect “unlawfully entering the secure perimeter,” with spokesman Anthony Guglielmi confirming on social media that the man was neutralized after the breach. The FBI is involved in the ongoing investigation, which includes examining the suspect’s background, motive, and any potential connections to broader threats.
This marks the latest security incident involving Trump’s properties, following previous assassination attempts and threats against the president. Officials have emphasized that the quick response by protective details prevented any further escalation.
The investigation remains active, with authorities dedicating resources to determine the full circumstances surrounding the breach. No additional details on the suspect’s intentions have been released at this time.
Crime
Delta APC Congress: Ibori’s Daughter Escapes Assassination Bid as Thugs Invade Ethiope West Venue
Tension escalated during the All Progressives Congress (APC) Local Government Congress in Ethiope West Local Government Area on Saturday when violence erupted, forcing Hon. Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu, the member representing Ethiope Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives and daughter of former Delta State Governor James Ibori, to flee under heavy security in what her supporters and aides described as a targeted assassination attempt.
The congress, originally slated for Oghara Township Stadium but relocated to Ovade Primary School, was underway with delegate accreditation and consultations when suspected hoodlums—armed with cutlasses, guns, and other dangerous weapons—stormed the venue. Eyewitnesses reported that the attackers caused widespread panic, injuring several supporters of the federal lawmaker and blocking access to the site, which disrupted the process of electing party executives.
Hon. Ibori-Suenu arrived at the new venue amid heightened tensions within party factions. Reports indicate that her supporters were attacked as they attempted to participate, with some alleging intimidation aimed at suppressing her group’s involvement. She reportedly escaped unhurt thanks to her security detail, while multiple delegates sustained injuries during the chaos.
The incident has been attributed by some sources to internal party rivalries, with claims of sponsorship by opposing political figures, though these remain unverified allegations.
The Delta State APC has denied reports of violence or any attack on Ibori-Suenu, dismissing them as media sensationalism and emphasizing overall party unity following the congress exercises across the state.
No official police statement on arrests or investigations has been released yet, but the event has raised fresh concerns about political violence ahead of future electoral processes in the region.
-
Politics3 days agoAbuja Area Council Elections Hold Tomorrow
-
Entertainment2 days agoNollywood’s Mercy Johnson Becomes Governor Okpebholo’s Special Adviser
-
Politics2 days agoKano assembly by-elections hold Saturday
-
Business2 days agoALTON Confirms Banks cleared N300bn USSD debts
-
Opinions2 days agoHow Akpabio’s Leadership Secured Nigeria’s Electoral Future, by Rt Hon Eseme Eyiboh
-
Business2 days agoFAAN stops cash collection at airports nationwide
-
Sports2 days agoFIFA commits $75m to rebuild war-damaged football facilities in Gaza
-
Crime2 days agoCourt Adjourns Malami, Son’s Trial to Feb 27 Over FCT Public Holiday
