Crime
JUST IN: Gunmen attack Chris Uba’s convoy, kill two security operatives
Gunmen last night attacked a convoy suspected to belong to self-styled godfather of Anambra politics, Chief Chris Uba.
Vehicles in the convoy were riddled with bullets, just as two police operatives attached to the politician were killed. It was also gathered that another politician and a chieftain of Labour Party, Mr Val Ozigbo, narrowly escaped the attack.
The source said: “We witnessed what happened. Chris Uba’s convoy ran into the men who were stationed at UGA junction, leading to a shootout.
“Uba was able to escape because he was riding in a bullet proof vehicle, but the policemen were not so lucky as they were killed.
“Val Ozigbo was coming back from Owerri with members of his family when he suddenly saw a convoy driving ferociously toward his own convoy, and attempting to edge him off the road. He quickly told his driver to clear off the road let the other convoy pass by.
“Shortly after they overtook Ozigbo, they ran into the gunmen at UGA junction who started shooting, and killed two policemen. Ozigbo who parked while the incident was happening, later learnt that the convoy that was attacked was that of Uba.”
It was learnt that the aim of the men was to kidnap the politician. Many people were said to have been injured, but it was not clear if anyone was kidnapped.
Meanwhile, police authorities in a press release by the state police command’s spokesperson, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga said it has launched a manhunt for the attackers.
The release read: “Anambra State Police Command has launched an intensive manhunt for armed insurgents who infiltrated from a neighbouring State and killed two Police Personnel on 28th December 2023 at about 18.30 hours (6.30 p.m.).
“The gang which disguised in military fatigue and seemed to be on a kidnap mission were jolted on seeing two armed Police officers approaching their direction. They opened fire on the officers who had moved ahead of the convoy they were escorting to decongest traffic gridlock. Other personnel returned fire, careful not to hit many motorists who were in traffic, forcing the bandits to flee.
“Police-led mobile Forward Operating Base which had been on intensive patrol of the entire area throughout Christmas celebrations promptly responded to the scene.
“It recovered a Lexus SUV the gang operated with and defused an improvised explosive device found in the vehicle. It also recovered an AK-47 rifle belonging to one of the slain personnel.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Aderemi Adeoye who had declared the weekend and Christmas holidays as special working days for all Officers and men in the Command commended all personnel for their tireless and courageous effort in securing the people of Anambra State.
“He urged them not to be demoralized by the supreme price paid by their colleagues from Enugu State Command but to draw inspiration from their bravery in confronting the criminal gang.
“He condoled with the families of the deceased officers and Enugu State Police Command and vowed that the personnel will not die in vain.
“He has urged all officers and men of Anambra State Police Command to redouble their efforts and remain vigilant. He assured that technology would be employed to track down the criminals who unleashed the attack on Police personnel.”
Crime
Mexican Military Kills Jalisco Cartel Leader ‘El Mencho’ in Major Blow to Drug Trafficking
Mexican defense officials announced on Sunday that Nemesio Rubén Oseguera Cervantes, alias “El Mencho,” the founder and longtime leader of the powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG), was killed during a military operation.
Oseguera, widely regarded as Mexico’s most wanted drug kingpin and one of the highest-profile fugitives in the country, had evaded capture for more than a decade despite a multi-million-dollar bounty from both Mexican and U.S. authorities.
The CJNG, under his command, rose to become one of Mexico’s most violent and expansive criminal organizations, responsible for trafficking massive quantities of fentanyl, methamphetamine, cocaine, and heroin into the United States. The cartel has been linked to thousands of homicides, territorial wars with rival groups, and high-profile attacks on security forces.
The operation marks a significant victory for Mexico’s armed forces and comes amid intensifying pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly demanded stronger action from Mexico against drug cartels fueling the American opioid crisis.
Mexican officials described the killing as the result of targeted intelligence and a swift military engagement, though specific details of the location, circumstances, and any casualties among security personnel were not immediately released.
The death of El Mencho is expected to trigger intense power struggles within the CJNG and could reshape the dynamics of Mexico’s organized crime landscape.
U.S. officials have long listed Oseguera as a top-priority target, with the DEA offering up to $10 million for information leading to his capture or conviction. His elimination is likely to be welcomed in Washington as a concrete step in bilateral efforts to dismantle transnational drug networks.
Crime
EFCC Nabs 20 in Vote-Buying Crackdown During FCT Council Polls
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) arrested 20 individuals on Saturday for alleged involvement in vote-buying, vote-selling, and related electoral offences during the Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections.
Operatives recovered a total of ₦17,218,700 in suspected proceeds from the malpractices, with the largest single seizure being ₦13,500,000 found in a vehicle parked near a polling unit in Kwali Area Council.
The arrests were spread across several councils: nine in Gwagwalada, four in Kuje, four in Kwali (including the major cash haul), and two in Abaji.EFCC spokesperson Dele Oyewale said the commission had deployed teams to all six area councils to monitor the process and prevent financial inducements and other irregularities that undermine electoral integrity.
“Investigations are ongoing and the suspects will be arraigned in court as soon as inquiries are concluded,” Oyewale stated.
The elections, overseen by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), were generally peaceful. The All Progressives Congress (APC) clinched five of the six chairmanship positions, while the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) won one.
Crime
Secret Service Kills Armed Intruder at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Residence
Early Sunday morning, U.S. Secret Service agents, along with a Palm Beach County sheriff’s deputy, shot and killed an armed man who unlawfully breached the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s private resort and residence in Palm Beach, Florida.
The incident occurred around 1:30 a.m. local time near the property’s north gate. Authorities reported that the suspect, identified as Austin Tucker Martin, 21, of Cameron, North Carolina, was observed carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can (also described as a gas can).
According to the U.S. Secret Service and Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw, the man was confronted by law enforcement officers after entering the restricted area. He was ordered to drop the items. Reports indicate he complied by setting down the fuel can but then raised the shotgun into a shooting position, prompting the agents and deputy to open fire. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.
No law enforcement personnel were injured in the encounter. President Trump was not present at Mar-a-Lago during the incident—he was in Washington, D.C., where he attended the White House Governors Dinner on Saturday evening and remained overnight.
The Secret Service described the event as the suspect “unlawfully entering the secure perimeter,” with spokesman Anthony Guglielmi confirming on social media that the man was neutralized after the breach. The FBI is involved in the ongoing investigation, which includes examining the suspect’s background, motive, and any potential connections to broader threats.
This marks the latest security incident involving Trump’s properties, following previous assassination attempts and threats against the president. Officials have emphasized that the quick response by protective details prevented any further escalation.
The investigation remains active, with authorities dedicating resources to determine the full circumstances surrounding the breach. No additional details on the suspect’s intentions have been released at this time.
-
Politics3 days agoAbuja Area Council Elections Hold Tomorrow
-
Entertainment3 days agoNollywood’s Mercy Johnson Becomes Governor Okpebholo’s Special Adviser
-
Politics3 days agoKano assembly by-elections hold Saturday
-
Business3 days agoFAAN stops cash collection at airports nationwide
-
Crime2 hours agoSecret Service Kills Armed Intruder at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Residence
-
Business3 days agoALTON Confirms Banks cleared N300bn USSD debts
-
Opinions2 days agoHow Akpabio’s Leadership Secured Nigeria’s Electoral Future, by Rt Hon Eseme Eyiboh
-
Crime2 days agoCourt Adjourns Malami, Son’s Trial to Feb 27 Over FCT Public Holiday
