Crime
Bill Cosby Ordered to Pay $19.25 Million After Jury Finds Him Liable for 1972 Sexual Assault
A civil jury in Los Angeles County has found comedian Bill Cosby liable for drugging and sexually assaulting a woman more than five decades ago, ordering the 88-year-old entertainer to pay her $19.25 million in compensatory damages.
The verdict, reached Monday after a nearly two-week trial, concerns claims brought by Donna Motsinger, a former waitress who alleged that Cosby assaulted her in 1972.
According to the lawsuit, Motsinger was working at a restaurant in Sausalito, California, when Cosby visited. He later invited her to one of his comedy shows at the Circle Star Theater, where she says he gave her wine and a pill, causing her to lose consciousness.
She recalled flashes of light and later woke up at home naked except for her underwear, realizing she had been drugged and raped.Jurors determined that Cosby committed sexual battery and assault.
The award includes $17.5 million for Motsinger’s past mental trauma and $1.75 million for future suffering. Some reports indicate the jury also began considering additional punitive damages, which could significantly increase the total.
Cosby’s legal team has indicated it plans to appeal the decision.
The case marks the latest legal setback for the once-beloved star of The Cosby Show, who has faced dozens of sexual assault allegations from women dating back decades.
He served nearly three years in a Pennsylvania prison after a 2018 conviction for sexual assault, but that criminal conviction was overturned by an appeals court in 2021 on procedural grounds.
Cosby has consistently denied the accusations against him. This civil verdict comes amid a string of similar lawsuits. In 2022, another California jury found Cosby liable in a separate case involving a teenager at the Playboy Mansion and awarded $500,000 in damages.
Motsinger was previously identified as “Jane Doe No. 8” in an earlier civil action related to Cosby.
The judgment adds to the mounting financial and reputational consequences for the disgraced entertainer, who has seen his legacy as “America’s Dad” largely dismantled by the wave of allegations that surfaced publicly around 2014.
Crime
Lekki, Lagos Island account for over 27% of criminal cases in Lagos, says govt
Pedro said that stealing-related offences remained the most prevalent crimes in Lagos State, accounting for 44.7 percent of cases recorded on the Lagos Criminal Information System (LCIS) within the review period.
•Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Lawal Pedro
Lagos State Government has said that more 27 percent of criminal cases recorded within the last three years in the state occurred in the Lagos Island and Lekki-Ajah axis, with Lekki/Ajah alone accounting for more than 16 percent of cases filed in court.
The state’s Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Lawal Pedro, disclosed this during the 2026 media briefing to commemorate the third year of the second term of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
Other locations with high crime records include Ikorodu, Alimosho, Lagos Mainland/Yaba, and Mushin.
Pedro said that stealing-related offences remained the most prevalent crimes in Lagos State, accounting for 44.7 percent of cases recorded on the Lagos Criminal Information System (LCIS) within the review period.
Crime
NDLEA smashes Nigerian-Mexican meth cartel, arrests baron, 3 Mexicans, 6 others.
..…Recovers N480 billion meth, precursors from massive clandestine lab in Ogun forest.
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has dealt another crippling blow to transnational organized crime by completely dismantling a highly sophisticated, multi-million-dollar Nigerian- Mexican methamphetamine production syndicate.
The clinical, simultaneous operation, executed by elite operatives of the Agency’s Special Operations Unit (SOU), led to the shutdown of an industrial-scale clandestine laboratory, the biggest ever discovered in Nigeria hidden in a remote forest in Ijebu area of Ogun state, the seizure of the largest multi-billion naira meth in history, arrest of the cartel’s kingpin, three Mexican technical experts, and six other top local collaborators.
Giving details of the major operational success at a media briefing at the Agency’s headquarters in Abuja on Wednesday 20th May 2026, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig Gen Mohamed Buba Marwa (rtd) said following months of painstaking and credible intelligence gathering, operatives of a Special Operations Unit of the Agency launched well-coordinated strikes across Ogun and Lagos States within a space of 48 hours last week.
According to him, “barely two weeks ago, we announced the successful takedown of a high-profile Drug Trafficking Organization (DTO) headed by Simon Amadi in a complex, multi-country operation involving the US Drug Enforcement Administration, the Swiss, French, and the Greek law enforcement agencies. Today, I am proud to announce that the NDLEA has struck another crippling blow to the heart of transnational organized crime.
“Through a clinical, simultaneous operation executed by the elite operatives of our Special Operations Unit (SOU), we have successfully dismantled a sophisticated, transnational methamphetamine production syndicate run jointly by a Nigerian drug cartel and their Mexican counterparts.
“This network did not just traffic drugs; they were actively manufacturing industrial-scale quantities of highly lethal illicit substances right on our soil, threatening the national security and public health of Nigeria.
“After months of painstaking, credible intelligence, our operatives on Saturday, 16th May 2026, launched a well-coordinated, simultaneous strikes in both Ogun and Lagos States.
The primary target was a remote farm located at Abidagba forest, in Ijebu East Local Government Area of Ogun State. This farm was being used as a massive, highly dangerous clandestine methamphetamine laboratory by the Anochili Innocent Drug Trafficking Organization (DTO).
“Simultaneously, another tactical team closed in on the mastermind’s luxury fortress at No. 8 Tafawa Balewa Street, Golf Estate, Lakowe, Lekki area of Lagos State—the residence of the drug baron, Anochili Innocent.
“At the farm in the Ijebu forest, our operatives overran the clandestine laboratory in Ogun State, securing the perimeter and catching the syndicates completely off-guard. At this laboratory, we apprehended seven (7) key members of the cartel processing illicit substances.
“Most notably, the operation confirms our intelligence regarding the importation of foreign technical expertise by local cartels. Among those arrested are three (3) Mexican nationals brought into the country specifically to cook this deadly substance, alongside four (4) Nigerian collaborators.
“The suspects arrested in the forest lab are: Nwankwo Sunday Christian, 41; Igwe Abuchi Remijus, 42; Ifeanyichukwu Chibuike Joshua, 23; and Egwuonwu Uchenna Victor, 38; as well as the three Mexican meth experts: Martinez Felix Nemecto, 46; Jesus López Valles, 40; and
Torrero Juan Carlos, 51.
“Simultaneously, another tactical team closed in on the luxury residence of the cartel’s mastermind, Anochili Innocent, located at No. 8 Tafawa Balewa Street, Golf Estate, Lakowe, Lekki area of Lagos State. The drug baron was cornered and arrested.
A meticulous search of his premises led to the recovery of the international passports and mobile phones of the three arrested Mexican cooks, directly linking him to the importation and management of the foreign criminals.”
Not done with the dismantling of the drug cartel, Marwa disclosed that relentless follow-up operations on Monday 18th May 2026, led NDLEA operatives to another property owned by the baron at House 70, Close 3, Mayfair Estate, Lakowe, Lekki, Lagos where another key member of the syndicate, Kingsley Orike Omonughwa, 44, was arrested after which investigators stormed the residence of another syndicate member, Emeka Nwobum, whose property served as the cartel’s strategic stash house.
The arrest brings to 10 the total number of cartel members, including the baron, the three Mexican specialists, and six Nigerian collaborators, who are currently in NDLEA custody.
Providing further details of the operation, the NDLEA boss said “I equally directed the deployment of our specialized Chemical and Forensic Team to the clandestine laboratory to test, weigh, and secure the chemical components.
The sheer volume of dangerous precursor chemicals, industrial solvents, and finished products recovered is staggering.
“The operation yielded a massive 2,419.48 kilograms (over 2.4 tons) of chemical materials, including highly toxic, volatile, and crystallized methamphetamine worth Three Hundred and Sixty-Two Million, Nine Hundred and Twenty-Two Thousand Dollars ($362,922,000.00) in the international market.
This translates to over Four Hundred and Eighty Billion Naira (N480,000,000,000.00). Imagine this humongous amount in the control of criminal elements.
Also recovered from the cartel include: a Toyota Tacoma vehicle used for operations at the clandestine meth laboratory, and a Toyota Highlander seized from the kingpin’s residence.
“To put this in perspective, the 2,419.48 kilograms of finished and liquid methamphetamine seized represents millions of street doses that would have flooded our local communities and international markets, causing untold destruction, psychosis, and violence.”
Marwa noted that the dismantling of the Anochili Innocent DTO, coming directly on the heels of the Simon Amadi cartel takedown, sends an unequivocal, resounding message to drug barons both locally and internationally that Nigeria is a hostile territory for their business, warning that the Agency will continue to hunt them down wherever they are located.
“We are fully aware of the shifting tactics of these cartels, including the disturbing trend of hiring South American cartel specialists to set up production factories in our rural communities. Let it be known that no matter how deep into the bush you hide, no matter how secure your gated estate is, the NDLEA will hunt you down, disrupt your networks, and seize your ill-gotten wealth”, Marwa warned.
While appreciating the support from international partners to keep Nigeria and the global community safe from the criminal activities of drug cartels, he commended “the extraordinary bravery, professionalism, and precision of the NDLEA SOU operatives and our Chemical and Forensic Team. Nigeria owes you all a debt of gratitude.”
He urged Nigerians to remain vigilant adding that the forest lab in Ogun State was operating under the guise of a regular farm.
“Report suspicious activities, strange chemical odours, or unusual movements in your localities. This war is for the soul of our nation, and we will not back down until we achieve a drug-free Nigeria”, he added.
Crime
BREAKING: EFCC Nabs Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Years on The Run
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, who was convicted and sentenced to 75 years in prison in absentia over corruption charges.
EFCC operatives apprehended Mamman in the Rigasa area of Kaduna State, where he was reportedly hiding.
Confirming the arrest, EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede said the former minister had been on the run following his conviction. Authorities indicated that details of his formal arraignment and transfer to correctional custody will be released in the coming hours.
Saleh Mamman served as Nigeria’s Minister of Power under former President Muhammadu Buhari.
-
Business3 days agoFemi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
-
Politics3 days agoGov Fubara withdrawals from governorship race
-
Politics2 days ago2027: Natasha emerges PDP Kogi central ticket
-
News2 days agoNYSC warns against night travel as 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation begins June 10
-
Business2 days agoIEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
-
Politics3 days agoPeter Obi won’t rule as dictator if elected President — Osuntokun
-
Politics1 day agoKwankwaso denies upteenth times, “I’m not working for Tinubu’s political interests “
-
Politics2 days agoHamzat emerges Lagos APC governorship candidate
