News
GNI FIRE: Governor Soludo Sympathises with Omatu ‘s Family
The Governor is particularly devastated by the loss of three sons of Anambra State, namely Mr. Stephen Onyeka Omatu (40), Mr. Casmir Nnabuike Omatu (39), and Mr. Collins Kenechukwu Omatu (37), brothers from the Omatu family of Uzoakwa Community in Ihiala Local Government Area.
The Governor of Anambra State, Professor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, has expressed profound condolences and deep sorrow over the devastating fire incident that occurred and claimed lives at the Great Nigeria Insurance House on Martins Street, Lagos Island, on December 24, 2025.
Governor Soludo commiserates with all families who lost loved ones in the unfortunate inferno, regretting that this catastrophic event, which transformed what should have been a joyous Christmas Eve into a night of unspeakable tragedy, has left numerous hearts heavy with griefs.
The Governor is particularly devastated by the loss of three sons of Anambra State, namely Mr. Stephen Onyeka Omatu (40), Mr. Casmir Nnabuike Omatu (39), and Mr. Collins Kenechukwu Omatu (37), brothers from the Omatu family of Uzoakwa Community in Ihiala Local Government Area.
These industrious young men, who were simply striving to earn an honest living for their families, have been taken from us in the most tragic circumstances. Their loss represents not just a family tragedy but a collective loss to Anambra State.
In the statement signed by Christian Aburime, Press Secretary to the Governor, Soludo commended the response of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), the Lagos State Fire Service, and all other emergency responders who worked tirelessly to rescue victims and contain the situation,
Soludo also advised Anambra citizens residing in Lagos and other parts of the country to always prioritise human life and personal safety over recovering property and goods in the event of a fire outbreak.
Thus, Governor Soludo wishes all affected families the strength to bear and recover from their irreplaceable losses, while praying that the souls of all the departed rest in perfect peace.
He also called on relevant authorities to conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of the fire and ensure that appropriate measures are put in place to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
News
Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”
Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.
News
Edo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot
The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned following moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.
Agbebaku said his decision came after extensive consultations with his constituency and party leaders.
In related developments, other principal officers of the House, including the Majority Leader and his deputy, have been suspended.
Agbebaku had served as Speaker for six years, having assumed the position during the tenure of former Governor Godwin Obaseki. He defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) after the 2024 Edo governorship election.
Yekini Idiaye has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
-
Health3 days agoGov Mbah Invest in world-class Enugu International Hospital
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics3 days agoHAPPENING NOW: Security Beefed up at INEC Office in Osun Ahead of Saturday’s Governorship Election
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
Politics1 day agoBREAKING: Adeleke coasts to victory winning 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Poll: Youths Accuse APC of Vote-Buying in Ejigbo (Video)
-
Politics3 hours agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
