Business
Nigeria fines MultiChoice ₦766m for violations of data protection
The fine followed an investigation that began in the second quarter of 2024 after concerns were raised about the company’s handling of customer information.

he Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC) has imposed a fine of N766,242,500 on MultiChoice Nigeria, citing violations of the Nigeria Data Protection Act (NDP Act), including alleged breaches of subscriber privacy and illegal cross-border transfer of personal data.
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Sunday by Babatunde Bamigboye, Head of Legal, Enforcement and Regulations at the Commission.
The fine followed an investigation that began in the second quarter of 2024 after concerns were raised about the company’s handling of customer information.
According to the Commission, the probe revealed that MultiChoice processed personal data of not only its subscribers but also their associates without due consent or lawful justification.
The Commission also found that MultiChoice carries out illegal cross-border transfer of personal data relating to data subjects in Nigeria,” the statement read.
“The depth of data processing by MultiChoice is patently intrusive, unfair, unnecessary, and disproportionate.”
The NDPC described the data practices as a violation of Section 37 of the 1999 Constitution, which guarantees the right to privacy, as well as a contravention of data sovereignty obligations under national and international law.
The Commission noted that it had previously issued standard remediation directives to the company, but found MultiChoice’s response inadequate.
“For want of cooperation, the Commission has directed MultiChoice to pay N766,242,500 for violating the Nigeria Data Protection Act,” the statement added.
Business
We are under attack – NNPCL GCEO, Ojulari

Bayo Ojulari, Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigeria National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), has announced that he and his management team are currently under serious threat.
Ojulari said his offense is the reforms he has introduced in the oil and gas sector in line with the mandate given to him by President Bola Tinubu to turn around the moribund refinery.
He raised this alarm on Thursday, lamenting that some powerful elements are plotting to remove him from the seat.
The NNPCL boss raised the alarm when he received the delegation of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN, led by its President, Comrade Festus Osifo, at the company’s headquarters, Abuja.
Details shortly…
Business
Govt, stakeholders to explore industrial policy at W’Africa Manufacturing summit
The collaboration will take centre stage at the West Africa Industrialisation, Manufacturing & Trade Summit & Exhibition 2025, scheduled for October 2025, in Lagos.

•The Minister of State for Industry, John Enoh
The Federal Government has committed to exploring strategies for implementing the new National Industrial Policy to scale industries and transform West Africa’s economic future, alongside manufacturing stakeholders at an upcoming summit.
The collaboration will take centre stage at the West Africa Industrialisation, Manufacturing & Trade Summit & Exhibition 2025, scheduled for October 2025, in Lagos.
The Minister of State for Industry, John Enoh, at a press conference on Wednesday in Lagos, declared that Nigeria will build its industrial policy on past executive orders targeted at promoting local content, but with a stronger push through the Nigeria First policy.
He said, “The previous administrations have tried to enable industrial growth by coming up with various executive orders.
Those include Executive Orders Three and Five, which were targeted at matters about public procurement and giving priority to Nigerian-made goods.
With the announcement of the Nigeria First policy, what becomes of it will be a function of what this administration does.”
Enoh noted that the Ministry of Industry, Trade, and Investment would follow up on the policy with a nationwide campaign to promote patronage of Nigerian goods and services.
He explained, “The hope is that in the next few months, we’re going to start a national campaign on buying made-in-Nigeria goods and services to follow up the presidential pronouncement of the Nigeria First policy.
We found out that the country could earn about N3tn more in the short term if we can run a successful campaign that can also shift the attitudes of Nigerians.
(The Punch)
Business
Access Holdings names Innocent Ike new GMD/CEO
Access Holdings Chairman, Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede, said Ike’s appointment signals a new phase for the group.He said, “We are thrilled to welcome Mr. Innocent Ike as we move forward. “

• Innocent Ike
Access Holdings Plc has appointed Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, effective August 29, 2025, following regulatory approval.
The announcement, contained in a statement released on Wednesday and signed by the company secretary, Sunday Ekwochi, comes hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna resigned from the company’s board in compliance with new corporate governance rules issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria.
Ike takes over from Ms. Bolaji Agbede, who has steered the company in acting capacity for the past 18 months after the death of former Group CEO, Herbert Wigwe, in 2024.
She will now return to her role as Executive Director, Business Support.
Access Holdings Chairman, Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede, said Ike’s appointment signals a new phase for the group.He said, “We are thrilled to welcome Mr. Innocent Ike as we move forward. “
-
International3 days ago
Colombia Sentences Teen Shooter of Presidential Hopeful Uribe to Seven Years
-
News3 days ago
I take full responsibility for Abuja-Kaduna train derailment – Opeifa
-
Business3 days ago
Access Holdings names Innocent Ike new GMD/CEO
-
International3 days ago
South Korea to ban mobile phones in school classrooms
-
Business3 days ago
Govt, stakeholders to explore industrial policy at W’Africa Manufacturing summit
-
Sports3 days ago
BREAKING: Champions League draw for 2025/2026 season confirmed [Full fixtures]
-
Crime3 days ago
YELWATA KILLINGS: DSS Files Charges Against Suspects over Benue Attacks
-
News3 days ago
Nigeria Seeks global action against West Africa’s cattle rustlers