Connect with us

News

Fubara Swears In Commissioner, Declares Oko-Jumbo-Led Assembly Legitimate

Published

on

Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara has sworn in Barrister Emmanuel Frank-Fubara who was screened and confirmed as a commissioner by the Victor Oko-Jumbo-led assembly earlier on Monday.

The swearing ceremony was held at the Executive Council Chambers of the Government House in Port Harcourt at about 5 pm.Giving his charge after the oath-taking ceremony, Governor Fubara defended his recognition of the Oko-Jumbo-led assembly, insisting that it is the lawfully recognised legislative arm.

Governor Fubara, however, expressed his disappointment with the police for not doing enough to unravel the facts about the bomb explosion in Port Harcourt some weeks ago.

He claimed that the relevant authorities were silent because the suspects in the attack were not his supporters.

“I’ve not been hearing anything and I’m wondering, after how many weeks now, the Nigeria police are still not able to come out and make a statement about the attempt by someone – who I don’t know what his name is – tried to detonate dynamite in front of Hotel Presidential,” Fubara said.

“I’m still wondering why it doesn’t happen. But if it’s maybe any other thing that has to do with us, they will say they should even charge the person for terrorism.

”The Rivers State governor recalled how his supporters were arrested and charged with terrorism for crimes they did not commit.

But Fubara said he will continue to rely on God’s grace and protection to govern the state.

He immediately assigned the new commissioner to the Ministry of Finance.He said he had been searching for a diligent person to man the sensitive office.

According to Governor Fubara, though the new commissioner is not an accountant, he had observed him to be dutiful and diligent since they met during his campaign for the governorship election in 2023.

Earlier, the Martin Amaewhule-led lawmakers gave Governor Fubara seven days to re-present the state’s budget for the year.

They gave the order in their sitting on Monday, the first in several months. Fubara had presented the budget to lawmakers loyal to him when his current Chief of Staff Edison Ehie presided as the Speaker.

While that budget was passed and signed into law, the Amaewhule-led lawmakers want a re-presentation, adding another twist to the unending crisis in the oil-rich state.

The move came in the wake of a court verdict that nullified the expulsion of Amaewhule and 24 others from the state assembly by the Rivers State High Court.

Crime

Kogi Security: Hunters Burst Kidnappers Hideout, Neutralized Many and Rescued Kidnapped Victims (Photos)

Published

on

The security architecture of the Kogi State Governor, Alh. Ahmed Usman Ododo has started to deliver as several bandits were neutralized as local hunters stormed Kidnappers hideout in Yagba West acting on credible intelligence to rescue Kidnapped victims.

Last week, Governor Ahmed Usman Ododo distributed security kits to local hunters recruited by his administration, charging them to go after criminals and make Kogi safe.

The trained hunters were able to rescue all the three kidnapped victims at the camp and some of the bandits escaped with gun wounds.

Addressing newsmen at Odo Ere, the headquarters of Yagba West Local Government Area, the State Commissioner for Information and Communications said the resolve of the Governor to stamp out criminality from Kogi State is total. He thanked the hunters for their gallantry, assuring them of the State Government support.

The Transition Committee Chairman of Yagba West, Hon. Tosin Olokun said the hunters were able to achieve the feat with the help of credible intelligence.

He thanked the Governor for empowering and emboldening hunters across the state to combat crime, assuring the people of Yagba West of adequate security at all times.

The rescued victims also narrated their ordeals in the hands of the Kidnappers, thanking the Local Government Chairman and the Governor for prioritizing security.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Three story building collapse in Jos, Many Feared Dead

Published

on

A three story building belonging saints academy has collapsed in Jos the plateau state capital with so many students feared dead and others trapped in the incident

The incident which occurred around 10.30 am this morning while the students where writing the examinations

Arise news crew which visited the scene saw the combined team of the armed forces. National emergency management agency and their state counter part on ground to help in the rescue effort.

More Details soon

Continue Reading

Crime

Court slams N10bn bail bond on Buhari’s ex-Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman

Published

on

Justice James Kolawole Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja has slammed a N10bn bail bond on the former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, in the N33bn money laundering offences brought against him by the federal government.

The bail bond must be endorsed by a reputable bank in Nigeria, while the ten billion naira would be forfeited to the federal government in case the defendant bolts away from trial.

The Judge issued the order on Friday while delivering a ruling in a bail application filed and argued by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria SAN, Femi Ate on behalf of the former minister.

In the alternative, the defendant is to produce two sureties in the sum of N10B each who must have properties worth the minimum of N750M within Abuja.

The properties must have registered titles that would be verified by the registrar of the court, along with evidence of three years of tax payments.

Besides, the former minister and his two sureties are to deposit their international travelling passport with the court and shall not travel out of the country without the approval of the court.

Justice Omotosho ordered that the former minister be taken to Kuje prison pending the time he would perfect the bail conditions.

At the time of this report, the former minister, who was visibly ruffled by the bail conditions, was busy, along with his friends, seeking to meet up with the conditions to escape being taken to Kuje prison.

The EFCC, on behalf of the federal government, filed a 12-count money laundering charge against the Mamman and was arraigned on Thursday, July 11 but pleaded not guilty to the charges.

He was alleged to have committed money laundering offences to the tune of N33 billion.

The former minister served under former President Buhari from 2019 to 2021.

Continue Reading

Trending