Connect with us

Crime

Borno: Suicide Bombers Were Imported — Reps Allege

Published

on

The House of Representatives recently addressed the tragic suicide bombings that occurred in Borno State, condemning the attacks and attributing them to imported female suicide bombers. The bombings, which claimed over 30 lives and left more than 180 injured, took place in Gwoza, Borno State.

Ahmed Jaha, the lawmaker who brought the motion to the House, highlighted that the bombers were recruited and brought from outside the state, underscoring the ongoing threat of terrorism in Nigeria. The House responded by urging security agencies to intensify efforts to prevent such incidents from happening again.

In response to the bombings, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) characterized the attacks as Nigeria descending into a state of war. Major General Edward Buba, Director of Defence Media Operations, described the incidents involving multiple Person Bourne Improvised Explosive Devices (PBIED), commonly known as suicide bombings. He detailed the sequence of events, including attacks on a wedding reception and subsequent bombings targeting security forces enforcing a curfew.

General Buba emphasized that these attacks were aimed at projecting strength by the terrorists amidst recent military successes against them. He acknowledged the tragic loss of lives, including civilians and security personnel, as well as those injured in the bombings.

The DHQ reaffirmed the military’s commitment to eliminating the terrorist threat and urged citizens to remain vigilant and support the armed forces in securing the nation. They assured that those responsible for the attacks would face swift and decisive action.

Overall, the statements from the House of Representatives and the Defence Headquarters underscore the severity of the situation and the determination to address terrorism in Nigeria decisively.

Crime

Kogi Security: Hunters Burst Kidnappers Hideout, Neutralized Many and Rescued Kidnapped Victims (Photos)

Published

on

The security architecture of the Kogi State Governor, Alh. Ahmed Usman Ododo has started to deliver as several bandits were neutralized as local hunters stormed Kidnappers hideout in Yagba West acting on credible intelligence to rescue Kidnapped victims.

Last week, Governor Ahmed Usman Ododo distributed security kits to local hunters recruited by his administration, charging them to go after criminals and make Kogi safe.

The trained hunters were able to rescue all the three kidnapped victims at the camp and some of the bandits escaped with gun wounds.

Addressing newsmen at Odo Ere, the headquarters of Yagba West Local Government Area, the State Commissioner for Information and Communications said the resolve of the Governor to stamp out criminality from Kogi State is total. He thanked the hunters for their gallantry, assuring them of the State Government support.

The Transition Committee Chairman of Yagba West, Hon. Tosin Olokun said the hunters were able to achieve the feat with the help of credible intelligence.

He thanked the Governor for empowering and emboldening hunters across the state to combat crime, assuring the people of Yagba West of adequate security at all times.

The rescued victims also narrated their ordeals in the hands of the Kidnappers, thanking the Local Government Chairman and the Governor for prioritizing security.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court slams N10bn bail bond on Buhari’s ex-Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman

Published

on

Justice James Kolawole Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja has slammed a N10bn bail bond on the former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, in the N33bn money laundering offences brought against him by the federal government.

The bail bond must be endorsed by a reputable bank in Nigeria, while the ten billion naira would be forfeited to the federal government in case the defendant bolts away from trial.

The Judge issued the order on Friday while delivering a ruling in a bail application filed and argued by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria SAN, Femi Ate on behalf of the former minister.

In the alternative, the defendant is to produce two sureties in the sum of N10B each who must have properties worth the minimum of N750M within Abuja.

The properties must have registered titles that would be verified by the registrar of the court, along with evidence of three years of tax payments.

Besides, the former minister and his two sureties are to deposit their international travelling passport with the court and shall not travel out of the country without the approval of the court.

Justice Omotosho ordered that the former minister be taken to Kuje prison pending the time he would perfect the bail conditions.

At the time of this report, the former minister, who was visibly ruffled by the bail conditions, was busy, along with his friends, seeking to meet up with the conditions to escape being taken to Kuje prison.

The EFCC, on behalf of the federal government, filed a 12-count money laundering charge against the Mamman and was arraigned on Thursday, July 11 but pleaded not guilty to the charges.

He was alleged to have committed money laundering offences to the tune of N33 billion.

The former minister served under former President Buhari from 2019 to 2021.

Continue Reading

Crime

BREAKING: Bandits kidnap two Kaduna journalists, wives, others

Published

on

Some bandits on Saturday night invaded Dahjonu community in Millennium City of Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State and abducted two journalists -The Nation’s Abdulgafar Alabelewe and Blueprint newspaper’s AbdulRaheem Abdu as well as their wives and children.Alabelewe is also the current chairman of the Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Kaduna State Council.

One of the victims’ family members, Taofeeq Olayemi, who confirmed the incident, said the bandits invaded the area around 10.30 pm and shot indiscriminately before carrying out their act.

Olayemi said the bandits kidnapped Alabelewe, his wife, and two of his children, while Aodu and his wife, who was also sick, were kidnapped, leaving behind their sick daughter.

He said, “Initially, they picked Abdulgafar, his wife, and three of his children and a girl staying with them before asking the girl to return with one of the children and left with Abdulgafar, his wife, and two children.

“They shattered their doors and windows and removed their burglary after scaling the fence.”

Olayemi, who is also a neighbour to the victims, added, “They came around 10:30 pm on Saturday and started shooting indiscriminately.

“They first forced Aodu’s door open and picked him and his wife and left their sick daughter behind.

“Then, they entered Abdulgafar’s house through the fence and jumped into his house.

“They went straight into his bedroom and picked him, his wife, and two of their kids and left immediately, after which the vigilantes arrived and started shooting into the air.

”As of the time of filing this report, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mansir Hassan, could not be reached for comments as his telephone line was not connecting.

Continue Reading

Trending